Urgh seriously.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the seachem alk and calcium which is a powder, and my tank is up to almost 2 tablespoons a day now. I use the redsea magnesium and have the lfs shop (but only the person I trust now) to do it, and I start super low with that. So when I found I was 100 ppm down plus maybe 150 I dosed with 20ml then 30 then 40 then 50. After 50 I tested and was right at 1390-1400 range. It took a week and I literally ignored and threw their instructions away. They are terrible and extremely confusing and I am honestly surprised people haven’t crashed their tanks by using those specific directions.
Wow, I'm shocked your tank is doing well with that kind of alk swing! If my math is correct your tank is using 2dKH per day. And here I try to keep mine from changing by more than 0.2dKH during a day!

Have you ever considered a calcium reactor?

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I'm shocked your tank is doing well with that kind of alk swing! If my math is correct your tank is using 2dKH per day. And here I try to keep mine from changing by more than 0.2dKH during a day!

Have you ever considered a calcium reactor?

Hello,

I have one it’s cleaned and was under my sink dry because out of room. But I didn’t use to be that high, it started with just 1/2 tablespoon every two days then to one every two days then started to increase more. Since I only dose once a day, the auto doser would do it per hour so probably balance out. But with me staying in the 8-9 range it doesn’t get to drop too much before it causes damage. Now I still have to test twice a week because the corals have been known to slow down but they are just in a growth spurt at the moment. Speaking of which today is test day so I will get to see where parameters are.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have one it’s cleaned and was under my sink dry because out of room. But I didn’t use to be that high, it started with just 1/2 tablespoon every two days then to one every two days then started to increase more. Since I only dose once a day, the auto doser would do it per hour so probably balance out. But with me staying in the 8-9 range it doesn’t get to drop too much before it causes damage. Now I still have to test twice a week because the corals have been known to slow down but they are just in a growth spurt at the moment. Speaking of which today is test day so I will get to see where parameters are.
I would do an alk test before you dose today and then an hour after you dose. That way you can get a good idea of what your daily demand is in case my math is off. If your target is 9 then I think you should see 7dKH on your pre dosing test.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do an alk test before you dose today and then an hour after you dose. That way you can get a good idea of what your daily demand is in case my math is off. If your target is 9 then I think you should see 7dKH on your pre dosing test.

Hello,

Pretty sure your math isn’t off since you actually guessed correctly each time I test. I never get into the 6 but if I don’t do the 1.5 tablespoons a day then I will dip. Not sure why they use it soo much but calcium is the same I have to dose it or I will go from 440 to 380-400 the next day.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Pretty sure your math isn’t off since you actually guessed correctly each time I test. I never get into the 6 but if I don’t do the 1.5 tablespoons a day then I will dip. Not sure why they use it soo much but calcium is the same I have to dose it or I will go from 440 to 380-400 the next day.
I think your best move would be to try and get your calcium reactor set up since that takes care of alk, calk, and trace elements. I do understand space being an issue but if you can find a way to make it work, its what I would do.

Otherwise, I feel your system would benefit from automatic dosing. It would take at least 7 dosing heads to accomplish everything but it would make your life easier imo.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your best move would be to try and get your calcium reactor set up since that takes care of alk, calk, and trace elements. I do understand space being an issue but if you can find a way to make it work, its what I would do.

Otherwise, I feel your system would benefit from automatic dosing. It would take at least 7 dosing heads to accomplish everything but it would make your life easier imo.

Hello,

I was actually looking to buying two of them from my lfs. However to my dismay in living in a kinda non fish place lol, nobody had a clue how to set them up and or how to match what I’m currently doing. Ideally I’d want the doser to dose once an hour, keep things super stable and consistent.

Yet they don’t even carry the items needed to make it work aka the alk and calcium etc. I am able to build a shelf where they would sit on and then make room for all the bottles for the vacuum lines to be in. But again most of my stuff is powder which doesn’t work well lol. So how hard is it to program and set up to what I’m doing now. I have to be pretty darn close if not exact because it could possibly crash my tank. But it would make life much easier I won’t argue that much.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Okay lol so did a water test @Brew12 like we mentioned earlier lol. So I dose every day 1.5 tablespoons of alk and calcium, and 1 ml of the four trace elements.
Now I dosed last night and I try and dose the same time every day. Now I tested all my water parameters Sunday and they were 9 alk 440 cal 1390 mag 2-5 ppm nitrates and tiny amount to undectable phosphates 1.025 salt.

Test 1.) which again I have dosed 1.5 tablespoons each day of the seachem alk and it started to turn on drop six and drop seven it changed to yellow.

Test 2). Which was 440 Sunday and I still dosed 1.5 tablespoons each day with seachem calcium it started to change at 20 and went purple at 21, so again both alk and calcium were low after one day.

Which means maybe I need to boost it to 2 tablespoons of each day and test every two days like normal. The corals are really growing and really starting to color up.

Test 3 and 4 were my nitrates and phosphates which was probably 2-5 ppm and under the .25 to undectable for phosphates.

Magnesium I will test Sunday but should be 1350-1390 roughly. Now I did add all my trace elements and instead of doing 20ml of noprox did 16 ml, that way I don’t bottom out. If I’m correct with the math it’s 25 gallons per 1 ml roughly 200 minus rock and sand on a 240, and figure sump in that’s close to 16ml which I can probably drop to 10 if really need to. But I am shooting low because I’m not adding in the water in my sump which is 40 gallons roughly minus displacement so maybe 25-30 extra to help put nitrates back in.

If I use an 8 head of 2 four head dosing pumps I would have to convert what I do now by 24 (24 hours per day). Then would have to make sure the pumps are set up and running correctly. So far tank is okay with the third light on, and it’s quite a bit brighter lol.

I also wash my filter socks and pads once a week and I probably spend 45 min a day doing maintence on my tank. I account for every coral and fish and make sure t look for signs of I’m mad at you. Now I need to get another Maximus clam in my tank. I’m hoping the third light won’t be too much light. I really need to measure my par again with the third one on.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually looking to buying two of them from my lfs. However to my dismay in living in a kinda non fish place lol, nobody had a clue how to set them up and or how to match what I’m currently doing. Ideally I’d want the doser to dose once an hour, keep things super stable and consistent.
Depending on the doser, they can be very easy to set up. The GHL dosers couldn't be much easier to set up and verify. The Apex ones aren't bad, but I haven't set one up in quite awhile. Of course, they only are 2 head dosers so you would need 4 of them. And, you would need to get an Apex controller since I don't believe they have a stand alone option.

Yet they don’t even carry the items needed to make it work aka the alk and calcium etc. I am able to build a shelf where they would sit on and then make room for all the bottles for the vacuum lines to be in. But again most of my stuff is powder which doesn’t work well lol.
Lots of options for the alk and calc. In my opinion the easiest is buy powdered Soda Ash and Calcium Chloride and mix them with RODI water. You can buy both of them online at Amazon although I get mine from Bulk Reef Supply. BRS even sells them pre measured kits so you add 1 bag to 1 gallon of water.
I use the Redsea trace elements which are already liquid, not sure if your trace elements are powdered, too.

So how hard is it to program and set up to what I’m doing now. I have to be pretty darn close if not exact because it could possibly crash my tank. But it would make life much easier I won’t argue that much.
I'm most experienced with GHL but they are very easy to set up. Especially once you get them set up on your home internet network. Otherwise, it is quick and easy with a computer and USB cable. These units are designed to be calibrated so you will want to pick up a set of graduated cylinders. Each head requires a 1 minute run to calibrate and you set it to within 0.1ml so you can be assured of accuracy.
I got this set for under $20 and it can test the heads accurately at every speed.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ECAQPWA/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
An online calculator can help figure out exactly how much of whatever new product you switch to is needed to replicate what you are doing now.
Reef Chemistry Calculator

I also wash my filter socks and pads once a week and I probably spend 45 min a day doing maintence on my tank. I account for every coral and fish and make sure t look for signs of I’m mad at you. Now I need to get another Maximus clam in my tank. I’m hoping the third light won’t be too much light. I really need to measure my par again with the third one on.
I will admit, I've spent a lot of money to keep my tank maintenance at a minimum. I'm lucky enough to work Mon-Frid, 9 to 10 hours a day during the day. Normally, the only thing I do during the week is feed the fish and change filter socks if needed. I used to test Alkalinity almost daily, but I have the GHL alk monitor now so it tests it for me 3 times a day and adjusts my dosing for alk and calc as needed. I do the rest of my testing on weekends, which is when I refill my ATO. Every other week I need to mix up fresh Kalkwasser, but that only takes 5 minutes. I mix the rest of my chemicals around every other month. I empty and clean the skimmer every 3rd or 4th weekend and I do a 20g to 30g water change every other week. Even that doesn't take me too long. With my Profilux controller I push a button on a touch screen and it shuts all my pumps down, turns off the skimmer, reactors, and heaters. I am old school and use a siphon to vacuum the sand and a wet dry vac to clean the sump. I refill with 5 gallon buckets. Another touch of the button and everything restarts when I'm done. It automatically restarts in 90 minutes in case I get distracted. I even rigged up a container so every other week I unplug one gyre pump, pull it from the tank, and soak it in vinegar. I don't even pull the cord out from how it is routed. An hour or two later the pump goes back in the tank and gets plugged in. Takes less than 10 minutes of my time and works great.
For me, that time is precious. I love working on my tank but I want to make sure I do it on my terms. The fact I can have a long day at work and not have to do a thing with my aquarium is a nice option. Or that I can travel for 3 or 4 days without needing a tank sitter is nice, too.
I'm not sure you would want to put that kind of money into monitoring and controlling your reef but for me it was worth every penny. Not a single bit of it was required but it was a huge quality of life improvement for me.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the doser, they can be very easy to set up. The GHL dosers couldn't be much easier to set up and verify. The Apex ones aren't bad, but I haven't set one up in quite awhile. Of course, they only are 2 head dosers so you would need 4 of them. And, you would need to get an Apex controller since I don't believe they have a stand alone option.

Lots of options for the alk and calc. In my opinion the easiest is buy powdered Soda Ash and Calcium Chloride and mix them with RODI water. You can buy both of them online at Amazon although I get mine from Bulk Reef Supply. BRS even sells them pre measured kits so you add 1 bag to 1 gallon of water.
I use the Redsea trace elements which are already liquid, not sure if your trace elements are powdered, too.

I'm most experienced with GHL but they are very easy to set up. Especially once you get them set up on your home internet network. Otherwise, it is quick and easy with a computer and USB cable. These units are designed to be calibrated so you will want to pick up a set of graduated cylinders. Each head requires a 1 minute run to calibrate and you set it to within 0.1ml so you can be assured of accuracy.
I got this set for under $20 and it can test the heads accurately at every speed.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ECAQPWA/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
An online calculator can help figure out exactly how much of whatever new product you switch to is needed to replicate what you are doing now.
Reef Chemistry Calculator

I will admit, I've spent a lot of money to keep my tank maintenance at a minimum. I'm lucky enough to work Mon-Frid, 9 to 10 hours a day during the day. Normally, the only thing I do during the week is feed the fish and change filter socks if needed. I used to test Alkalinity almost daily, but I have the GHL alk monitor now so it tests it for me 3 times a day and adjusts my dosing for alk and calc as needed. I do the rest of my testing on weekends, which is when I refill my ATO. Every other week I need to mix up fresh Kalkwasser, but that only takes 5 minutes. I mix the rest of my chemicals around every other month. I empty and clean the skimmer every 3rd or 4th weekend and I do a 20g to 30g water change every other week. Even that doesn't take me too long. With my Profilux controller I push a button on a touch screen and it shuts all my pumps down, turns off the skimmer, reactors, and heaters. I am old school and use a siphon to vacuum the sand and a wet dry vac to clean the sump. I refill with 5 gallon buckets. Another touch of the button and everything restarts when I'm done. It automatically restarts in 90 minutes in case I get distracted. I even rigged up a container so every other week I unplug one gyre pump, pull it from the tank, and soak it in vinegar. I don't even pull the cord out from how it is routed. An hour or two later the pump goes back in the tank and gets plugged in. Takes less than 10 minutes of my time and works great.
For me, that time is precious. I love working on my tank but I want to make sure I do it on my terms. The fact I can have a long day at work and not have to do a thing with my aquarium is a nice option. Or that I can travel for 3 or 4 days without needing a tank sitter is nice, too.
I'm not sure you would want to put that kind of money into monitoring and controlling your reef but for me it was worth every penny. Not a single bit of it was required but it was a huge quality of life improvement for me.

Some great info you've been providing.

@Sarah24! - Although it may not be of major importance, I would suggest using the same length of hose you will use to feed your system when calculating the doses. Depending of the doser there are sometimes varying output values. I always figure it's best to be safe.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Okay so @Brew12 amd all my darling dears :) I did a test again of all elements kinda for the heck of it right before I normally dose. Not to my surprise but the tank was consistent, and the numbers repeated themselves yesterday.
Do to the fact my tank is using that much within a 24 hour period, I may have no other option but to actually go to dosers, which would dose every hour.

In theory I could do actually increase to two full tablespoons of alk, and calcium. This would also increase trace elements as well to 2ml if my math is right (and it always is lol). But to lessen the swing I’m think once in the morning and once at night. I’d prefer not to just guess and hope it works, definitely want to look more.

The fact is, my tank is doing great other than my clam who for still reasons unknown (and it’s killing me), died in a day. It’s also noted now that I am dosing soo much more alk that means my pumps get vinegar baths. Because the hard water will slow them down more etc, which means more work.
The return pumps were black and blue and now they are completely purple. Since I can’t take both down I will do the one that hasn’t been cleaned umm yet. So curious if I clean my one return and take two of my wave makers down, it shouldn’t affect the tank since it’s temp for a few hours.
Plus even my gyre needs to be cleaned again, which I think this part I hate. Taking the wave makers out (all four then doing two returns and gyre) its 7 pumps and can’t do it at once. Any one else hate cleaning their equipment and slack on it. I actually clean my wave makers about every 6 months but they build it up super fast.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Sorry for not posting I have missed my thread :(. Went to post and I forgot to actually hit post. Oops! Well with out further weekly delay lol:

Hello,

I have been showing a consistent usage of alk and calcium where it takes the same amount each day. I have noticed that some of my softies don’t look super great because I think they need more food or nitrate. Finding that balance right now with the other lps and sps is getting tricky.

I have also noticed that while I didn’t see an immediate change in corals running the third marine pro with brights ahhhh was again too much light even for some of my sps. So back to 100 blue and maybe this time I will try 33% of where the other brights are. It’s good that 95% of my corals are doing well, and a few are not, because I’m going slighty mad (insane), in fact I think it’s finally happened, I have gone slightly mad (insane). I’m running out of hair to pull on, And oh my dear what about you? There are days I feel like I’m one card short of a full deck but I’m playing with two? Does any of this sound familiar, lol I can’t even figure out why my clam literally disappeared in a day and that has made me (mad aka insane). But 95% of my tank which is lps and sps are just happy as can be.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Okay so @Brew12 amd all my darling dears :) I did a test again of all elements kinda for the heck of it right before I normally dose. Not to my surprise but the tank was consistent, and the numbers repeated themselves yesterday.
Do to the fact my tank is using that much within a 24 hour period, I may have no other option but to actually go to dosers, which would dose every hour.

In theory I could do actually increase to two full tablespoons of alk, and calcium. This would also increase trace elements as well to 2ml if my math is right (and it always is lol). But to lessen the swing I’m think once in the morning and once at night. I’d prefer not to just guess and hope it works, definitely want to look more.

The fact is, my tank is doing great other than my clam who for still reasons unknown (and it’s killing me), died in a day. It’s also noted now that I am dosing soo much more alk that means my pumps get vinegar baths. Because the hard water will slow them down more etc, which means more work.
The return pumps were black and blue and now they are completely purple. Since I can’t take both down I will do the one that hasn’t been cleaned umm yet. So curious if I clean my one return and take two of my wave makers down, it shouldn’t affect the tank since it’s temp for a few hours.
Plus even my gyre needs to be cleaned again, which I think this part I hate. Taking the wave makers out (all four then doing two returns and gyre) its 7 pumps and can’t do it at once. Any one else hate cleaning their equipment and slack on it. I actually clean my wave makers about every 6 months but they build it up super fast.
I actually clean my power heads weekly. Two mp40 and two gyres

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m jealous I can’t do that but should. Today I need to clean one of my return pumps and will pull two of the wave makers to soak at the same time. In honesty every two weeks or monthly would be ideal. They don’t have to soak as long and or hard to get clean. I’d do both return pumps st the same time except my heaters are in my sump. So I can’t take both down or the tank loses heat.

Plus I have to move some rock work one of my nice ice dragon sps colones was broke off by a determined turbo snail and fell into the rock work. I can see it (not sure how I can reach it. Luckily it’s still at the top but it will be blind move and if I don’t grab it right away I could also knock it further down. Plus I have tiny arm and hands and that’s scary when I’m not even sure mine will fit. Where is my niece she will fit oh wait her arm isn’t long enough. We are so wrongly engineered lol. We need super arms like dragging on the floor long and we should be able to morph them into anything (and have eyes on the end, and can see in any color of light or dark. To the genetics lab I go :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m jealous I can’t do that but should. Today I need to clean one of my return pumps and will pull two of the wave makers to soak at the same time. In honesty every two weeks or monthly would be ideal. They don’t have to soak as long and or hard to get clean. I’d do both return pumps st the same time except my heaters are in my sump. So I can’t take both down or the tank loses heat.

Plus I have to move some rock work one of my nice ice dragon sps colones was broke off by a determined turbo snail and fell into the rock work. I can see it (not sure how I can reach it. Luckily it’s still at the top but it will be blind move and if I don’t grab it right away I could also knock it further down. Plus I have tiny arm and hands and that’s scary when I’m not even sure mine will fit. Where is my niece she will fit oh wait her arm isn’t long enough. We are so wrongly engineered lol. We need super arms like dragging on the floor long and we should be able to morph them into anything (and have eyes on the end, and can see in any color of light or dark. To the genetics lab I go :)
Or, you can just use a set of grabbers similar to what they use to pick up garbage on the side of the road. ;)
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquarium-tongs-tunze.html

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might help you retrieve some things that aren't very heavy. This is a way that I came up with to snag frags that fell into some difficult to get at places. Just a length of rigid air line tubing with some doubled up monofilament fishing line. Just double up a length of the fishing line that is longer than the airline tubing, forming a loop (snare) at one end and enough line at the opposite end to pull the loop closed around whatever you are trying to pick up. I use this often. Like this....

PokindStick.jpg

PokindStick2.jpg

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might help you retrieve some things that aren't very heavy. This is a way that I came up with to snag frags that fell into some difficult to get at places. Just a length of rigid air line tubing with some doubled up monofilament fishing line. Just double up a length of the fishing line that is longer than the airline tubing, forming a loop (snare) at one end and enough line at the opposite end to pull the loop closed around whatever you are trying to pick up. I use this often. Like this....

PokindStick.jpg

PokindStick2.jpg
Awesome idea! Will be stealing this idea for sure TY for sharing

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PokindStick.jpg

PokindStick2.jpg

Hello,

Oh I love that idea and as a matter of fact your idea led me to use something very similar. I didn’t have fishing line but had some plastic string. But I glued ends to an old paint brush and I was able to get it out of the crevice it was in. Fearing it could fall in again I moved it to a different spot. Should probably glue it back down but (the bottle I have dried out again).

It’s really interesting how top down views change from the front view. I also noticed the tank has way more color when I turn the pumps off. (I know why) but would be neat to have it that way all the time.

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PokindStick.jpg

PokindStick2.jpg
Oh, that's brilliant, will keep that in my bag o' tricks now. Very cool

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 146 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.6%
Back