Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Lol sorry my thread is all over the place lol, but have had so many people ask me to keep things going as it’s a fun thread to read. In addition I have no idea why but people have asked me what my voice sounds like. Since my parents were from the UK I do have that British accent most of the time. The consensus poll was kinda tied from Natalie Merchant (when she sings in her unplugged version, (which I do love a lot to Kate beckinsale) I think they are not even close to the same but that’s me. Sorry off topic :). But for those who kept asking me there is thee answer lol.

@addictreef I have tried the t5 on my corals, and they became really mad at me. My lfs, places them under t5 for a couple of months, while I did my move. Most of them st the time died, or lost color. I have wanted to add them but terrified what could happen. They have always been just super happy under the marine pro leds and the fluval marine 2.0. I haven’t put my fluvals back on yet, but I’m going to. I can’t wait to see them in my tank, on the rocks. Even in the baggies the polyps are out.

@jolt lol I have to dose calcium and alk, and other stuff every Tuesday Thursday and Saturday already. I have as at 10 alk on Sunday and by Tuesday down to 7. So I have to always dose or my tank hates me. Food for my tank is soooo expensive, between fuel (the big one, frozen food, reefroids,
Marine snow (I hate that stuff), zooplankton, and alk, calcium some times I spend almost 150 on food. Then my alk and calcium is 60 for both large bottles and they last about 90 days maybe 120. But extremely excited to show you their progress. Yes hope my nephews refrain for using my sump as a toilet and a way to drown Batman.

@norfolkgarden thank you soooo much today and tomorrow will be epic. I as well hope your day as well as all my friends on here have an amazing day also.

@cracker lol you just crack me up always lol. Not sure what you do as a living, but ever thought of being a stand up comic lol. Yes my thread is just 50 threads thrown into one, and I can’t even keep track of it. But sooo many people ask me to keep updating with new things, I could never say no:). Speaking of which, at least this time I didn’t snort milk through my nose or launch cereal from laughing at your posts. So lol I’m improving on some things lol.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you are going with some SPS, you should look into automatic dosing. Many corals aren't going to like swinging from 10dkh down to 7dkh and back up again.

Another thing to keep in mind is that many people are not successful with their first batch of SPS's. Or their second... or third... or fifth.. but enough about me. :oops: While I hope you have great luck, just keep in mind that this may become a learning experience.

Lastly, you can probably cut back on how much you are feeding your tank. That seems excessive to me. There are also much cheaper options for dosing alk and calk.

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you are going with some SPS, you should look into automatic dosing. Many corals aren't going to like swinging from 10dkh down to 7dkh and back up again.

Another thing to keep in mind is that many people are not successful with their first batch of SPS's. Or their second... or third... or fifth.. but enough about me. :oops: While I hope you have great luck, just keep in mind that this may become a learning experience.

Lastly, you can probably cut back on how much you are feeding your tank. That seems excessive to me. There are also much cheaper options for dosing alk and calk.

Great advice!

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Lol finally all the corals are in dipped etc which took awhile but totally worth it. @addictreef the corals are amazing and already have their polyps out, and have great color. As soon as I have a moment I will take pics of them. To my oops, I tried to keep them in order and after the third one, well they were all messed up.

@Brew12 I love your advice, it’s very honest and to the point. I have a had 8 sps in my tank so far and have not lost any. I’m hoping my placement of these will work good since I looked each one up and found the light placement and flow. So far every one has their polyps out which is a good thing, my acclimating process went longer than normal.
I started and, left them in for an hour warming up
In the tank. Then to my demise lol I didn’t have proper coral dip and or fresh saltwater. So I was off to the store, then had to pick my nephew up for getting suspended. Grrrr! So lol they acclimated for about three hours. As soon as they were
In my tank, their polyps were out and saying feed me. I left
Them in the coral dip for about 20 min then rinsed them in
Clean water.

The good news. All frags survived and did amazing in this trip. They are placed according to my aquarium research coral guide form my local aquarium. Bad news, I glued my fingers together three times, twice to a rock, 6 times to the coral plug. Good thing I’m almost a doctor lol.

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is what I was getting at: I only became successful at SPS when I began testing and controlling ALK every day. No big swings (I consider .3-.4 dkh about the limit). And even though things can often look OK immediately after a swing in Alk, I learned not to feel over confident because it can take 2-4 weeks for the damage to show up.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

I have strongly considered doing a dosing pump just need to decide which one etc. I do check my alk and calcium every two days religiously. However, the more I have researched I have seen that calcium and alk swings seem to be the worst. My water parameters are always within the excellent range, but as my coral grows faster etc it consumes it faster, hungry little guys. But for my new sps corals their first night was very successful. Woke up this morning and my lights had already begun acclimating, and every polyp was out. Some had amazing color already, and some are still recovering, but if their little tongues are out, it means they are hungry and eating. So im excited to see where this leads to, some of the corals just are so vibrant, it’s so pretty.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So as promised, I would post pics of the amazing coral that I purchased from @addictreef aka Dominic. The corals as of this moment are doing amazing and all the polyps are out, and some have already shown amazing color. So I am extremtly excited to see these grow in my tank. These were taking lol with my flip phone still and under my light acclimation. :)

In addition it’s finally official I have graduated yay and with a 4.43 Gpa not like it matters straight A’s are well straight A’s but I finally have my degree in medicine. Now it’s onto seven more years of residency :). But, so relived to be officially done with school.

CFD72FCE-E18F-4AAB-A478-F09DCBBD491D.jpeg

F749CAE6-ABBB-4904-B356-0EF631C51571.jpeg

B89CF0DF-F40D-431E-BF63-ECA20A96B4FB.jpeg

3090916B-4350-43BD-81B6-7B85541C3D83.jpeg

E5E2BBCD-9DC7-462A-BC7F-45F08C8C3337.jpeg

5CC0B6FA-E03B-4FFF-8815-2F61251BA872.jpeg

725F3BEA-D4F2-4B38-908B-FBAF693C5810.jpeg

E50A731E-37C5-41E9-9350-9FEDA46202D9.jpeg

ACC5B1EB-C419-4605-8381-E81DE33D401F.jpeg

82C0DF5C-F221-423E-9B0D-24FB9CA8F355.jpeg

C6887A31-8140-4F29-8BC2-A2FB1BF74461.jpeg

816F78E4-67E7-48F8-8850-F78462930D46.jpeg

6E73068C-4175-48EC-B121-71B2B94E1653.jpeg

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

@Fin, thank you very much sir. The new coral has been doing amazing and every day gets better. My parents bought me a 400 gallon tank for graduation lol, in which it’s being built. Not sure where I’m gonna put it or get it in my house but once I have more info I will know. I’m suppose to call them Monday to go over details on what I want and how. So it was a nice omg ummm lol dad did you see the tank I have now :). I’m pretty certain I’m not comfy in transferring my current tank to that one. I’m pretty certain the one I have will stay exactly as is. It has come to far and too good to be disturb:). But will be a new adventure for me, and expensive one. So as soon as I know more, lol trust me I’ll seek the advice out:).

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

@Fin, thank you very much sir. The new coral has been doing amazing and every day gets better. My parents bought me a 400 gallon tank for graduation lol, in which it’s being built. Not sure where I’m gonna put it or get it in my house but once I have more info I will know. I’m suppose to call them Monday to go over details on what I want and how. So it was a nice omg ummm lol dad did you see the tank I have now :). I’m pretty certain I’m not comfy in transferring my current tank to that one. I’m pretty certain the one I have will stay exactly as is. It has come to far and too good to be disturb:). But will be a new adventure for me, and expensive one. So as soon as I know more, lol trust me I’ll seek the advice out:).
Wow! Nice gift! I know I would hate to take down the tank you have now. It looks like it is doing really well as it is. Make sure you measure your doorways before they build that monster. Looking forward to following a new build thread!

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

@Fin yes I totally plan on doing that and measuring for a place for it to go. The more I think about it, lol I couldn’t rip my current tank down unless I had to move or buy a bigger house. It’s far too risky and plus it’s such a huge task. Moving from a 125 to my 240 was insane, going from a 240 to a 400, is a nightmare. Not to mention I don’t think any Of my current equipment would work anyway. My lights are only 72 inches long so I would have to change lights. Plus my skimmer can handle 400 but only as a Medium to light load. It can handle 300 as a heavy load.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Congratulations on finishing. That is a great gift. You could keep almost any fish it. Since you have a nice reef, maybe you can focus more on fish in the new one.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Well I could swim in it lol, and I could keep jaws in there as well, wait nope still scared of him he is banned. I could always make it one great big bath tub. But doing a fish onkt tank would be pretty fun. :)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always loved eels too. They are so cute. I kept a baby Snowflake for a short time in a 20 long when I worked in a pet store years ago (like before you were born). Took him home for a few months just because I wanted to learn more about them and get him eating well. Blue Ribbon Eels were always a favorite too.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

@Fin yes I totally plan on doing that and measuring for a place for it to go. The more I think about it, lol I couldn’t rip my current tank down unless I had to move or buy a bigger house. It’s far too risky and plus it’s such a huge task. Moving from a 125 to my 240 was insane, going from a 240 to a 400, is a nightmare. Not to mention I don’t think any Of my current equipment would work anyway. My lights are only 72 inches long so I would have to change lights. Plus my skimmer can handle 400 but only as a Medium to light load. It can handle 300 as a heavy load.
I have an empty 125 Reef Savvy and a couple of homemade nano tanks (and one of those is empty too). That's about my limit in my little house Ha! I do love watching other people spend money though :p. Looking forward to seeing you put the new tank together. I am sure it will be fantastic!

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Awww and yes I’m hoping for it to be totally epic. It will be a very slow process lol, I have to figure out how I will run it. At the same time it’s pretty neat, so much new stuff out there to try and research.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition it’s finally official I have graduated yay and with a 4.43 Gpa not like it matters straight A’s are well straight A’s but I finally have my degree in medicine. Now it’s onto seven more years of residency :). But, so relived to be officially done with school.
Congrats!!!!

And good luck with the new tank! Do your parents not like you? o_O Do they have any idea how much work a 400g tank is to maintain? You will have 2 full time jobs now!!!! :eek:

:p

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats!!!!

And good luck with the new tank! Do your parents not like you? o_O Do they have any idea how much work a 400g tank is to maintain? You will have 2 full time jobs now!!!! :eek:

:p

Sounds like they are trying to keep her single!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back