OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@norfolkgarden lol wow a 47, lol hey it’s better than a 40 right and with a 20 point bell curve that’s a 67. In reality lol D means degree in some aspects.

But to see your point lol I knew that already silly. What concerns me, is with the closer proximity of the lights, which are 60 degrees and refraction, won’t some of the light aka leds cancel each other out?

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@norfolkgarden lol wow a 47, lol hey it’s better than a 40 right and with a 20 point bell curve that’s a 67. In reality lol D means degree in some aspects.

But to see your point lol I knew that already silly. What concerns me, is with the closer proximity of the lights, which are 60 degrees and refraction, won’t some of the light aka leds cancel each other out?
Um, I always thought the light amount would 'double' where they overlap? Not cancel out?

It's not like watching waves bounce against a bulkhead and both, either cancel out or double, depending on when they meet, is it?

I always thought light simply 'doubled' in intensity?

Lol, it's late here and you are making my punny brain hurt.
[emoji6]
I'm going to dream of dog parties in a tree with strobe lights.

Look forward to your reply tomorrow morning.
[emoji4]

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sarah,

Your equations are correct, your application is wrong. In reality, what you have are not 60 degree lenses. They are diffusers that create a roughly 60 degree cone.

And no, the lights will not cancel each other out. If you think about it, you have strip lights. Do the lights on one part of your light cancel out the lights 8 inches down the fixture? Of course not, the light wouldn't function. The lights are additive. As to where your lights will be the brightest? That depends on how deep in the tank you go. The brightest point will be directly under the lights until the loss of intensity due to distance is overcome by the increase in intensity due to overlap or reflection off the front and back glass. You could calculate exactly where this point occurs in a perfect system, but it won't translate into your tank. The angle of refraction through water assumes a perfectly flat bath. If you have good flow, the surface of your water will be turbulent which makes any calculation difficult for all but a super computer.

Does that make sense?

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @Brew12

Sorry it was late when I sat down, I can’t believe I forgot
They are technically diffusers instead of actual lens. Which let me to everything else, since I wasn’t sure if it was a cone spread or more like a laser beam spread. Gosh trying to simplify this into words at times is not easy.

I definitely see your point of not canceling out going down the strip like the length. If this is held true, which your point makes sense the light wouldn’t function, I’m assuming it holds true with multiple strip lights going width wise. When they were designed, most people used them as a single application not multiples (aka front to back, until they found the 60 degree cone only covered (and If that 18 inches front to back). So I would be running three front to back in a 24 inch proximity.

So gosh I have to be missing something lol because if light doesn’t cancel out, and we always have cricital angle, does the light then intensify slightly? For example, as the leds produce a light spectrum say 453 to make it easy, as the light changes density and speed coming from air to water it will retract correct. Once it refracts, it’s angle will change and interefere with say a 6500 light. I’m assuming then from your prior post both spectrums continue as their own.

The reason I thought this was several threads stated and showed that adding more lights won’t increase the intensity aka par etc. But if we are adding more, and the intensity is not increasing, where is that light going then?

But lol at least I had my equations right lol:) it makes me wonder what else I have stored in my brain.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @Brew12

Sorry it was late when I sat down, I can’t believe I forgot
They are technically diffusers instead of actual lens. Which let me to everything else, since I wasn’t sure if it was a cone spread or more like a laser beam spread. Gosh trying to simplify this into words at times is not easy.

I definitely see your point of not canceling out going down the strip like the length. If this is held true, which your point makes sense the light wouldn’t function, I’m assuming it holds true with multiple strip lights going width wise. When they were designed, most people used them as a single application not multiples (aka front to back, until they found the 60 degree cone only covered (and If that 18 inches front to back). So I would be running three front to back in a 24 inch proximity.

So gosh I have to be missing something lol because if light doesn’t cancel out, and we always have cricital angle, does the light then intensify slightly? For example, as the leds produce a light spectrum say 453 to make it easy, as the light changes density and speed coming from air to water it will retract correct. Once it refracts, it’s angle will change and interefere with say a 6500 light. I’m assuming then from your prior post both spectrums continue as their own.

The reason I thought this was several threads stated and showed that adding more lights won’t increase the intensity aka par etc. But if we are adding more, and the intensity is not increasing, where is that light going then?

But lol at least I had my equations right lol:) it makes me wonder what else I have stored in my brain.

I’m away from my laptop and this may take some typing to explain. The quick and dirty is that PAR is more than just the number of photons hitting a target.

I’ll give you a more detailed answer later if no one beats me to it.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I was reading about what you wrote and had a moment of awe which I’m wondering if this is what’s throwing me off. Usually light is traveled in forms of waves right so there are crests and amplitudes per wave. Now isn’t it true, sorry been awhile since advanced physics for me, but if the waves have the same magnitude and amplitude, they would basically susperimpose each other if they are identical right. We know this to be true because in theory my lights are all from the same source or current orbits etc. So once they superimpose it will form a larger intensified wave, normally called vector sum then the crest wave will form and constructive interference right. Now if there is any refraction meaning off of glass or other waves I thought that was destructive interference in which the crests are cut short and some of the wave form is canceled out. Which we know if it’s in the constructive form it would be an even number of pie of 180 degrees. But if it’s in the other form it would have to be an odd number of pie. Like I said it’s been a few years with my physics lol like two, but if we use the interference formul which
would show us the difference right or if they are within the same shouldn’t we use
46ee271db1f7f9977c258e82c4ec635602b808ce

Which we would use the critical angel to find that point after right, lol or do I have it backwards? I’m too the point of saying who cares and just adding it and seeing what happens. It won’t let me write my equations in hmmmmm

#reefsquad and @Dana Riddle

I had to pull the equations up and take a pic, lol it didn’t like them at first but here is from one of my books the equations to see where I’m coming from.

9E04CA63-5563-4542-8BD4-84C8B20F8C7F.png

035E1C87-3306-4872-99D5-9AC6690900D5.png

Last edited:

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measurements are nice but a good exsample is a ball park.
IMG_3664.JPG

Minute Maid home of mine ASTROS, the best and brightest LED ball park in the majors.

Lights that travel in somewhat the same direction never cancel each other out, it just get brighter.
In the hobby we use PAR (Parabolic Aluminized Reflector) or LUX (symbol: lx) is the SI derived unit of illuminance and luminous emittance, measuring luminous flux per unit area).
The more lights in unit the brighter it is.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So all of those lovely people who have used the current orbit marine pros 72 inch need some help. I currently have two of them and purchase a third one from amazon. Sadly me not knowing any better the seller is I guess not linked to them etc. I received the light and it is in fact new, but they didn’t send the power supply and cord or the dual ramp timer which are critical. I spoke with current already and they do not have any. Does anyone have any of the dual ramp timers or the 24v 90 watt power supply laying around. I will of course buy them, but couldn’t find many on line. Any help would be super helpful.

Thanks

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I was reading about what you wrote and had a moment of awe which I’m wondering if this is what’s throwing me off. Usually light is traveled in forms of waves right so there are crests and amplitudes per wave. Now isn’t it true, sorry been awhile since advanced physics for me, but if the waves have the same magnitude and amplitude, they would basically susperimpose each other if they are identical right. We know this to be true because in theory my lights are all from the same source or current orbits etc. So once they superimpose it will form a larger intensified wave, normally called vector sum then the crest wave will form and constructive interference right. Now if there is any refraction meaning off of glass or other waves I thought that was destructive interference in which the crests are cut short and some of the wave form is canceled out. Which we know if it’s in the constructive form it would be an even number of pie of 180 degrees. But if it’s in the other form it would have to be an odd number of pie. Like I said it’s been a few years with my physics lol like two, but if we use the interference formul which
would show us the difference right or if they are within the same shouldn’t we use

Which we would use the critical angel to find that point after right, lol or do I have it backwards? I’m too the point of saying who cares and just adding it and seeing what happens. It won’t let me write my equations in hmmmmm

#reefsquad and @Dana Riddle

I had to pull the equations up and take a pic, lol it didn’t like them at first but here is from one of my books the equations to see where I’m coming from.

9E04CA63-5563-4542-8BD4-84C8B20F8C7F.png

035E1C87-3306-4872-99D5-9AC6690900D5.png

Light acts as both a wave and particle. Since we are operating in 3D space and the source is uncollimated, the photons will not occupy the same space at the same time. Then there is the issue of phase. The phase is constantly changing. Air density, diffraction, refraction, distance between sources; these and many more adjust the phase continuously.

Where this could possibly work is in a lab environment. In a vacuum. With a perfectly collimated light source that remains parallel for the duration of the travel distance, i.e. short distances only. Diffraction is still an issue. Again though, controlling phase precisely and continuously would be near impossible. Instances may occur where they overlap exactly and cancel. Honestly, the best you would probably be able to see for any prolonged period of time is a dimming effect.

In radar technology, wave manipulation is standard practice, but not in the air. The measuring device is what is manipulated. I.e. radar sends pulse out, but a large plane sends an altered signal that makes it look smaller or maybe multiples. This implies that with a visible light source, you could theoretically trick your eye by shining lights from two sources of opposing phases and then your eye wouldn't see them. But again, how do you precisely control phase.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

@erk, you have a very good point as to one part I had thought of but didn’t consider. The more I try and be precise the more I find that, it would drive me crazy lol. Not to mention lol but until I find another ramp timer and 24v 90 watt power supply my third light is kinda worthless. Any suggestions on obtaining those?

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

@erk, you have a very good point as to one part I had thought of but didn’t consider. The more I try and be precise the more I find that, it would drive me crazy lol. Not to mention lol but until I find another ramp timer and 24v 90 watt power supply my third light is kinda worthless. Any suggestions on obtaining those?
Don't know if any of these will work?
eca7c20a56979c9a9862ac06da51b849.jpg

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the power supply, anything that meets your minimum power requirements will work. A 24VDC 4A supply is enough to get you the power you need. You can always swap out the connector to one that works. Not sure what the power connection is on the light, but figure it is something standard you can buy from Digikey or Mouser.

As for the timer, I'm not sure about this part. I built my light, and use an Arduino to control intensity and ramping. If you must use a plug and play interface, eBay might have something. If you want to take the diy route, then you can use LED drivers and wire everything together.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Yes this has been a little annoying but at least they are trying to help me. I’d rather not buy these items since I already paid for them, but who knows what will happen.

I tested my water Tuesday and had really good parameters and today my only parameter that was off was nitrates which was 20 ppm. So will do a 60 gallon water change so that should be quite a bit lower. Unless I have lost my mind again and doing it wrong.

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say, this post has been a fantastic read. Very entertaining, sad, inspiring, emotional, and geeky. Awesome, met all my requirements! I'm sorry about what started the thread, but glad it worked out. I had to laugh though. My children did a similar thing to my tank once, I just don't know what, but they were in college and my wife and I had taken our first ever vacation to Mexico and we got the call that the fish just suddenly died, all of them. We still, to this day don't know exactly what happend, probably the fish had too much to drink (and I don't even vodka dose)...

congrats on your degree, good for you, something you earned no one can ever take from you (very cool) and the gift of a 400? wow, look forward to hearing/reading about that.

As for you lights, I'd really like to talk about them more. I have a cube, and over them I used to have two of the current orbit marine pro lights (I still have them with ramp timers, power supplys and everything) but I was told not to use them, so I went with another light and those seem to be working fine, though I'd really rather go with radion or a higher end simply because of the sleek look. Mine are the black box style. Anyway, you seem to be very pleased with the orbits, wonder why they are working so well for you and not for me? thoughts? I mean, I still do have them.

Thanks

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

@Ed_J lol omg you crack me up lol, thanks for the amazing compliments. I’d love to help you with your lights and I love these lights a lot. Specially when they come with everything lol. My tank has been amazing with them and, I would never change them. Your more than welcome to tell or show me your tank and setup and we can def get those lights rocking for you. Thanks so much specially the fact I’m a geek lol that’s awesome, I’m still too naive and kinda dumb when it comes to smart phones and still rock my 90s flip phone. But today lol I paid Apple to set my stupid phone up. It’s insane my 5 yr old niece knows the phone better than me. Urgh seriously lol

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So realized my nitrates were a tad high at 20 ppm which is hit and miss really. With that said lol went to my lfs to get water for a water change. In my little wonderless mind, I was thinking about this last time. When they didn’t put the lids on and almost flooded my Jeep. Now I have to do more water where it would drown me in my Jeep. I can see it now my death will come from drowning in my jeep driving home, hmmmm I made sure all the lids were tight this time around. But In terms of scooby doo and shaggy I can see them laughing hey Scooby-Doo the ghost doesn’t have a life raft look he is drowning haha. I guess no need for me to hit the gym, and this is what happens when I want to have a lazy cartoon day. Yes I have towels lol just in case lol.

F0727155-19A5-4DDB-9D20-114B6A7F917C.jpeg

Last edited:

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, at least you will know how to treat your own back strain when you are done moving 12 forty pound bottles of water. :)

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah babe I’m gonna have my nurse give me an epidural, and they will drug me just senseless for about a year lol. Yeah I was doing three gallons and it just took forever. Where are my brothers when I need them lol. It’s not so bad with 3-4 but 12 is like slamming your toes in the hood of a car over and over and over again. Urgh

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back