Urgh seriously.

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So after getting off work at 1900 which was a 24 hour shift, people wonder why I’m lol still up. It’s because it’s friday and my obnoxious neighbors are having a drunk fest. Well anyway lol, I was finally reached by current today. This is one of the reasons I will always love them and stand by their product. They went out of their way to find the items I needed, and not only did they overnight them to me, they issued a full refund to me for my inconvenience. That’s thee best customer service I have ever had. Truly amazing, I will stand by their product. They may not have fancy name and the ones who rave about, but when it comes to their customers they truly care. What’s even better was there was no gimmicks, no hassle, they just said we are so sorry we will fix this today. So to current USA I owe you one heck of a warm special compliment. You have always have me as a customer.

Dang and I complain about the 16 hours I do from time to time....Probably couldn't make it through a 24 hour shift....lol

I have Current USA lights on my freshwater tanks and they have always been good when I have had to deal with them.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So has anyone experienced an eshopps s-300 skimmer? I love this skimmer but, I have to turn the knob thingy almost all the way in order for it to give me that nice foam at the top. Which at the same time is annoying because everyone once in a while my skimmer goes nuts and then overflows.

Is there something I’m doing wrong or missing, I never had that problem with my old reef dynamics. This one skims great most of the time but just seems that it’s almost always 3/4 of the way turned in order for it to reach the collection cup
I am not familiar with that skimmer, but honestly, I don't think I have ever owned a skimmer that did not occasionally go crazy and overflow. Some skimmers now incorporate a float switch or sensor that will turn off the skimmer pump when it starts to overflow.

My other question is, is there anyway to change sump tanks while the tank is up and running. As this question kinda makes me sound like one of the Kardashian’s (pathetic lol) the only way I could get my sump in was through the top. After it was in, I then used my super hero powers to pick my tank up and set it on the stand. Since then, it seems some marvel bad guy has taken my powers lol.

My idea was to close my unions and disconnect the hard pipes and then obviously drain it, and remove the equipment. But am I able to remove some of the stands side boards (never the corners) so I can slide it out? When I mean side boards, (not the front or back etc). As I ask this I think it’s not likely because it looks like the wood is notched. If any one has removed their sump to put a better one in, advice would be grand. Another suggestion was to drain said sump tank, and then remove the baffles. Then simply redesign how I want it inside. The tank now is 60 gallons, but there is not much room to work in there, and I’m pretty tiny.
This is a tough one. Usually getting a sump out that would only go in the stand before the tank goes on top, involves some power tools to cut an opening in the side of the stand. Depends on how your stand is built, but more than likely you won't be able to just pop off an end panel. Maybe post some good pics of what you are working with and some of us might come up with an idea. You are probably stuck with your current sump though, unless some substantial modification to your stand is done.

When I had my current stand built, I required that the front was completely open, so the sump can slide right out the front. Something you will want to consider before you get the stand for your 400 built. At least an access door on the side big enough to slide out the sump, if needed. I built the stand for my old 200 like that.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny how the old reef dynamics and euroreef skimmers just keep trucking along. Mine are running great. I would like to see them back in business, and make replacement pumps we could afford. $300 for the ehiem pump is not cool. I am going to get one just incase, but they are not available now.

Leave that sump alone!! your tank is looking great. How about a switch installed to the cup cap of the skimmer? it would turn it off at the full mark. Or a remote skim-mate holder for those heavy skim run off days.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the premade stands allow for center supports to be removed. Look for pocket screws on the inside of the support. Since the tank is full you'd want to add some other temporary supports and it'd be best to do it during a water change.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello eggs and bakey Wakey wakey,

It seems I have come up with good ideas to make some things better on my tank lol. The more I think about it aka my sump, I’m more of Urgh just leave it alone things are fine lol. However, it would be interesting to know why my skimmer is close to 3/4 turned in order for the bubbles to come up to the mid of the collection cup. I just recently cleaned it, like 2 weeks ago. So hmmm it can sit as a pondering thought lol. :)

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello eggs and bakey Wakey wakey,

It seems I have come up with good ideas to make some things better on my tank lol. The more I think about it aka my sump, I’m more of Urgh just leave it alone things are fine lol. However, it would be interesting to know why my skimmer is close to 3/4 turned in order for the bubbles to come up to the mid of the collection cup. I just recently cleaned it, like 2 weeks ago. So hmmm it can sit as a pondering thought lol. :)
Yeah, I think I would leave well enough alone on that tank and incorporate the "things you would have done differently" in the new tank plans.

Have you made any decisions on what direction to go with the new tank? Go with the 400 gallon, downsize a bit maybe? Combine the tanks or have two separate tanks? Too many questions for "wakey wakey" time? :)

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello or hello brunch I guess lol,

Well I spoke to the tank people and measured my doors which don’t seem near big enough. My doors coming into my house with the door on are only 30 inches and my front door with it on is 34 inches. So the width of the tank I’m think should be 30 inches to be safe. I could always take my front door off, but 1 inch wiggle room isn’t much. The height of the tank probably shouldn’t be more than what I have now, because it 34 deep, I’m already using a snorkel. So as we spoke we came up with the measurements of 96 long by 34 tall by 30 wide. I want to be able to move this through the front door. As with the tank I wanted to go with the top over flow, just can’t remeber what they called it. But the overflow is built into the top braces, and water flows into it and through a chamber. It’s fairly new but sounds neat, they said it’s extremly quite. The return and flow pipes would be right in the middle of the tank where they can then route to the sump.

I would have to move my entertainment center and tv, and place the new on there since it’s a 12 foot wall section where my entertainment center is. In terms of my 240, I don’t have the heart to break it down it’s just would break my heart.

So I guess I will have to buy a water truck after all:). I have thought of having a plumber run pipes into my garage. Since I don’t use the third car section anyway, I could make it much easier to do maintenance. My only concerns are temps during summer and winter. If not, I did ask them to make my stand taller so I can fit under it as well. I did ask them to install an elevator so I can get to the top of my tank. They said no, look like I will need to hang myself from the ceiling again.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are going to need a YouTube video for this one.

Suspended Tank Maintenance
9d11f7a804897bc4f8b913e9e8e7793d.jpg

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol wait you want a you tube video of me hanging from the ceiling lol? Knowing my lucky some kid that I hire to hold the rope through the pulley system will forget their purpose. In forgetting that said purpose, they will let go of the rope, and you will all see my plunge deep into my tank. Plus the splash will flood my house and I’ll swim around like a fish. Yeah I can totally see that happening.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know you can rotate the tank to get it through your door. What about having the dimensions 96" long x 36" front to back x 25" tall? Slightly less volume, a deep (front to back) for awesome aquascape possibilities and a shallower tank that you can reach the bottom of (well, almost). That is if you have room for the tank sticking out another 6" from the wall into your room. Just a suggestion. They can rotate the tank by 1/4 and you would have even more room to fit it through the door. Do you have room for your TV and entertainment center?

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fin I have thought of that as well, just wasn’t sure how that would get in. I’m sure we can take my door off. That’s 36 inches from left to right. My concern is how many people would need to pick this up. Four people struggled with my 240, how many for a 400. Is that the same gsllon size as before, it maybe a tad under 400, which is fine w me.

I have plenty of room to more things around, I will get creative lol in my living room. Maybe I should have a life raft handy just in case the something happens and both tanks lose water lol.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol wait you want a you tube video of me hanging from the ceiling lol? Knowing my lucky some kid that I hire to hold the rope through the pulley system will forget their purpose. In forgetting that said purpose, they will let go of the rope, and you will all see my plunge deep into my tank. Plus the splash will flood my house and I’ll swim around like a fish. Yeah I can totally see that happening.
I'm sure it would be just as graceful as that Pink concert where she is flying in the silk banner.
[emoji4]
Don't sell yourself short!

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 96" length sounds awesome! If you kept it to 30 inches wide and went a little taller, would that work?

You mentioned doing big fish in this one and keeping the other one for corals.

A tall tank is miserable to place frags in, but if you won't be doing that much of that, based on fish choices, you would just need to leave enough room to pull things out of the tank with a grabber later.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are not comfortable doing the swinging from the ceiling video, perhaps you could substitute a video of you reading Dr. Seuss to your fish in your UK accent. That could be epic! LOL!

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I definitely could do a video of that, lol that would be very epic. I’d would definitely when dork of the year award:).

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So as of course I promised lol, current was able to come through for me. They have amazing customer service and one reason I will always use their products. Now just need some time to install it and see how it goes yay.

In terms of my new tank, Urgh this is such a undertaking it’s crazy. So many things to consider, that it’s still tons of fun, but exhausting as well. I definitely want it to be epic, and definitely want to try the stax rock on this new one. One thing I will have to consider is lighting. Since the current orbit marine pros, are now discontinued, and I’m not sure when the new ones are coming out, I have to consider lights.
As of the moment the leds lights that have really sparked my attention are the ones by GHL mitas lx 7 series. In addition I have strongly considered using T5 with those as well as a mixture. Any thoughts on this combination? After researching these lights, it definitely seems they have substantially more to offer than Radion or hydra, specially for the price.

Last but not least this is totally totally off the subject, but at work I have tons of co workers say I should cut my hair, and others tell me I’m crazy to. I love my long hair, yet lol some days I hate it when patients grab a hand full of it. I normally don’t just post a pic of me, but this is a current pic next to my Jeep. As I sound like a total geek here, I just don’t see myself with short hair, so ideas. As far as family my mom loves the idea, my dad hates it, they cancel each other out. :)

Yes I’m still working on a video of me reading Dr. Suess to my fish at bedtime:).

9367423F-6F3D-4786-8882-4E99A9761439.jpeg

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting - Kinda depends on what you want to keep in the tank. You had mentioned fish only and keeping the 240 as your reef. The Mitras would likely be overkill for a fish only tank, but would look awesome. :)

I am using a 48" ATI Hybrid Power Module on my build, but my tank is less than half the size of what you are getting. I am in the minor leagues, compared to outfitting a 400 gallon, so you would probably do better getting advice from someone with a big boy tank. :)

Hair - From a practical standpoint, with you working insane hours, plus having two monster tanks to care for at home, shorter may be easier and less time consuming to care for. At least easier to dry after dunking your head underwater in those two huge tanks trying to reach the bottom. :)

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol omg @Fin you crack me up lol. What you don’t think wet dog would look good on me lol. I’m certain that as I dunk my head in the tanks, you would be the first to throw a few apples in. May as well bob for apples as well lol.

I love the idea of a fish only in my new tank, lol but knowing me I will cave and make it a reef. Eventually my coral will out grow my 240, in which it would be nice to just relocate the coral to my bigger tank. Still lots of planning to do and nothing ever seems to well lol go as planned. But the more I look at these lights, the more they say you need a massive reef lol.

Oh and if you have ever seen the movie space balls, well my hair dries super fast. Why does it dry super fast, I have her industrial strength hair dryer :). It’s just too bad I don’t have Barf to carry it around for me.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever seen Marc Levenson's (Melev's Reef) 400 gallon reef? Might give you some ideas to incorporate into your build. The dimensions of his tank are 84" x 36" x 30" high. He uses Metal Halide / T5 lighting. Here is the page from his site about the 400. You do have a lot of planning to do! :) BTW, who is the builder going to be on this tank? Just curious.

Have you considered the additional moisture in your home due to evaporation from two large tanks / sumps? My 140 was evaporating about 1½ gallons per day. At that rate (which may vary on your end) that would be somewhere around 4x as much for you. That's a lot of moisture inside of your house - every day. You may need to apply some type of vent system or dehumidifier. A/C will take a lot of it out, but you may not run your A/C around the clock like we do down here in the swamp. :) Just something else to consider in your planning.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back