Urgh seriously.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening
200 gallons then 20 ml but that’s after all the lights are out?
Correct:) I would suggest starting with 10 ml before the light come on and 10 ml after the light turn off to see how the system reacts. if everything is fine after two day bump up the dose to 20 ml twice a day. I would also suggest dosing a tiny bit of vitamin C, 10 milligrams every other day while you are dosing.

Do they need to be off for a certain time frame and
Just not while the lights are on.

I dose nopox
Stop the NoPox while dosing

Watch the corals, the polyps will close up and the corals

how have you been doing and thanks
Very well, thank you for asking:)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I have so missed you @Brew12 (by the way how’s your son doing)? And if it was only that easy. Sadly it’s on all my huge sps colonies that have encrusted over everything. Thought about just clipping the ends where it’s at, besides it helps promote growth. But some not sure and can I use any hydrogen proxide or does it have to be special? So what’s the mixing ratio again? To make it easy let’s use 1 gallon of water, and assuming needs to be salt water correct.
He's doing well, thanks for asking. Hoping to get to see him this weekend. Still not sure if that will happen.

You've already received great advice on the H2O2. The only thing I would add is that you can use it for direct application, also. Instead of adding 1ml per 10g of water as a general dosing to the tank you can use that as a maximum amount for a single application. The general dosing works better for some strains of cyano and dino's than it does on algae imo.
In this case, you can use a syringe and load up to 20ml of 3% H2O2 (I get mine from the grocery store). Turn off all your powerheads and let the tank settle down. Depending on the amount of algae you are targeting you can put a few ml on each clump. Once you have used the 2oml you are done for 12 hours. I have found this to be very effective for getting rid of small patches of algae.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's doing well, thanks for asking. Hoping to get to see him this weekend. Still not sure if that will happen.

You've already received great advice on the H2O2. The only thing I would add is that you can use it for direct application, also. Instead of adding 1ml per 10g of water as a general dosing to the tank you can use that as a maximum amount for a single application. The general dosing works better for some strains of cyano and dino's than it does on algae imo.
In this case, you can use a syringe and load up to 20ml of 3% H2O2 (I get mine from the grocery store). Turn off all your powerheads and let the tank settle down. Depending on the amount of algae you are targeting you can put a few ml on each clump. Once you have used the 2oml you are done for 12 hours. I have found this to be very effective for getting rid of small patches of algae.

Hello,

Yay I hope you get to see and talk with your son. You can both sit down and watch some looney tunes :). I like the idea of the syringe (like with aptasia). So the 3% would still be 1ml per 10 gallons correct. If some of the hair algae is on my sps can I use this method or try and dip them. The biggest issue is it’s on some of my massive sps colonies. I have one rock that I can place in a bucket. However I don’t have anything that is 10 gallons, welp it comes down to the math unless some one already knows it for either a five gallon bucket or 1 gallon amount.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Yay I hope you get to see and talk with your son. You can both sit down and watch some looney tunes :). I like the idea of the syringe (like with aptasia). So the 3% would still be 1ml per 10 gallons correct. If some of the hair algae is on my sps can I use this method or try and dip them. The biggest issue is it’s on some of my massive sps colonies. I have one rock that I can place in a bucket. However I don’t have anything that is 10 gallons, welp it comes down to the math unless some one already knows it for either a five gallon bucket or 1 gallon amount.
Thank you.

3 different methods, so don't try to mix them.

1 part H2O2 with 1 part tank water for use as a 4 to 5 minute dip.
or
1ml per 10 gallons tank water for general dosing (20ml in your case)
or
straight H2O2 in a syringe but injecting a total of no more than 1ml per 10g tank water (20ml)

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening

Correct:) I would suggest starting with 10 ml before the light come on and 10 ml after the light turn off to see how the system reacts. if everything is fine after two day bump up the dose to 20 ml twice a day. I would also suggest dosing a tiny bit of vitamin C, 10 milligrams every other day while you are dosing.

Just not while the lights are on.

Stop the NoPox while dosing

Watch the corals, the polyps will close up and the corals

Very well, thank you for asking:)

Hello;

I was trying to do this today but quickly I can’t stop the nopox dosing per the instructions of medication on it. It says If I forget to dose a day to not double dose, but it says do not stop dosing once limits are met, just dose the bare minimum for my water volume. If I was to do @Brew12 idea or turning the flow off and spray the patches and few corals with a syringe what’s the mixing formula for this. If it’s 1ml per 10 gallons that would have to be .01 ml per gallon correct (Without a digital measurement I’d never be accurate) what will this do to the corals if directly applied and flow is suppose to be off. Does this also mean shut the lights off as well like you said before?

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

3 different methods, so don't try to mix them.

1 part H2O2 with 1 part tank water for use as a 4 to 5 minute dip.
or
1ml per 10 gallons tank water for general dosing (20ml in your case)
or
straight H2O2 in a syringe but injecting a total of no more than 1ml per 10g tank water (20ml)

Ops just saw this, so as long as I am under 20ml of straight peroxide I can spray the hair algae directly. Some is on my sps corals will it affect them much or kill them etc?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ops just saw this, so as long as I am under 20ml of straight peroxide I can spray the hair algae directly. Some is on my sps corals will it affect them much or kill them etc?
Try to keep it focused on the algae which should only be growing on dead sections.

Do the fish in your system not graze on this algae?

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to keep it focused on the algae which should only be growing on dead sections.

Do the fish in your system not graze on this algae?

Hello,

The sections it’s growing on are alive and well which makes me second guess myself. I took some pics where I am talking about. I tried to like put an arrow but it didn’t work to well I am terrible at smart phones.

My fish graze but maybe they are just being lazy, maybe not feed so it prompts them to graze more. The goby and Tommin tang and purple tang graze a lot just not where I want them to.

741F896B-1C08-40C7-8124-283831E2E032.jpeg

BE877034-1E58-4CF9-8F04-8ACE8A87B0C3.jpeg

63F741FC-9435-44AE-AAB9-9E4299DED60C.jpeg

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that this has passed, just be glad they only urinated in it...could have been...way...worse

Hello ,

Lol welcome and give them time they are still young and mischievous little devils. It’s like having three Calvin and Hobbes when them come over or stay with me.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your creatures in any distress? I bet it is pretty nontoxic. The is no ammonia in urine, unless one of the kids has a rare metabolic disorder (I’m an MD.) I would expect a bump in your nutrient level. I would just do a 20% change and test for the next few days.

I second this, urine is usually sterile and inert unless there is some pathology. I bet other than the smell there was little effect. I would still be ticked though (pun intended).

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second this, urine is usually sterile and inert unless there is some pathology. I bet other than the smell there was little effect. I would still be ****** though (pun intended).

Hello,

I wasn’t mad I was scared and panicked because I had no idea how long it was going on. I also didn’t know st the time what if any effects it would bring.

I’m curious, lol do fish have hearing and or scared lol by music. Decided to turn the theater system on and I haven’t seen my naso tang since. She came out to eat when I didn’t see her and she looks fat and healthy and gobbled all the food up. But then went back and I can’t even find her in the reef. (I haven’t changed anything and didn’t dose any peroxide), but she is normal swimming laps and she comes out swims then hides for well last time 30 min. Didn’t have any spots on her or ick etc but today is different. Yet as soon as I put food in she came right out, but curious as to why she is hiding.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I’m curious about my naso tang? Largest of all my fish and today he has hidden most of the day except to feed. If I take a little pen light across the back of the tank he comes out and swims, but then goes and hides. He shows no signs of ick or being picked on. This is the first day she has ever done this. So I fed once today, and now again as soon as I feed she comes out to eat. Then swims a little and goes back somewhere and hides. Any suggestions, I dosed prime just in case but no other fish has any issues and even my blue and purple tang are just picking at the rocks no signs of ick or anything.

So update edit, I always feed in the right upper side of my tank. I turned light off and blues are just on. I fed again just to see what happens, now as soon as I fed in the right corner she didn’t come out right away. But she hides somewhere on the left and I fed over there also. Again as soon as food is in the water she zips out and plows through the food and eats as much as she wants and more than others. Several times she took the food away from others including my other tangs. But once my wave makers came back on and food was gone back into hiding. I have never seen this behavior in my life with any of my fish. Is this normal or am I missing something, it’s definitely not normal to what I’m use to seeing. But she is nice fat, eats very well and easily twice the size of any fish in there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So update lol. It appears my huge naso tang hates violence and drama :). Apparently some odd reason my 7 chromies are ganging up on all my tangs. In which most of the tangs retaliated except the tommini and naso. As soon as I feed my naso comes back out four times out of four. As soon as lights go off and other fish go to bed, she comes out and swims around like normal.

So I’m curious if I can catch one or the chromies to throw off the pecking order. However, the purple and Lt tang and even my blue hippo gang up on them and chase them around the tank. Has any one ever experienced this with blue green chromies?.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan of chromis anymore.
(The friendly damsels! Yeah, right.) Think i would rather put up with 1 beautiful blue devil damsel than watch another batch of chromis become 1 individual.

Our tank is only a 75 gallon.
Have heard they are less fratricidal in a larger tank.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan of chromis anymore.
(The friendly damsels! Yeah, right.) Think i would rather put up with 1 beautiful blue devil damsel than watch another batch of chromis become 1 individual.

Our tank is only a 75 gallon.
Have heard they are less fratricidal in a larger tank.

Hello,

If I had known and I should have known they were similar to a damsel, I would not have caught them. I may remove
Them since they are pretty easy to catch in my tank. It’s crossed my mind to throw in another chromies but it may make it worse. If I add one it will throw the balance off to an even number which may drive the chromies nuts. But most of the tangs are doing better now my naso is fine but doesn’t want to deal with the drama I guess. Because as soon as I attempt to feed she is out and nobody gets in her way. So I can’t assume she is sick because she eats like crazy. Will buy some seaweed and hang it down and see if that prompts her to be out more.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 103 75.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back