Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sarah,

I'm doing ok. I still have my good and bad days. This would have been a very difficult year even if not for Covid. But... I'm making it. Thank you for asking.

My tank is slowly crashing. I took my son to Disney because I needed to spend some time with him and my CaRx went nuts and spiked my alk. By the time I could try and stabilize things, the damage was done. Not sure when the coral will stop dying, but hopefully it will be soon.

My tank has a heck of a time keeping temperature down in the spring and fall. My AC and heat run during the summer and winter keeping the air circulating in my office. In more moderate weather the air just stagnates in the room with my aquarium, causing the temperature and humidity in the room to rise. So higher temperature, lower evaporation, and my tank temp climbs.

I prefer my aquarium heaters not to have built in thermostats so I don't have to worry about calibration. I'm very happy to let my controller turn them on and off.

Hello,

Yes I am with you on the hard times and what not. I just barley made it past one year from my accident so that’s not a fun memory.
My tank is slowly crashing and think maybe I should just pull the remaining coral out and have it in a tank at the lfs then try and stabilize my tank. I can’t get rid of aptasia and it’s oh soooo annoying nothing kills the buggers. I don’t have a controller kit so have to use the other ones. I never knew you could buy them with out it.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Well is it normal for a Friday to be close to 80 then Saturday like 70 then Sunday 3 inches of snow. I think Mother Nature is seeming revenge. I should be able to get the new heaters installed today. I did have to plug the rogue back in since it became so cold like over night. The smaller heater was keeping temps at 77, but the night it snowed temps dropped to 75, which phone alerted me. Plugged the 500 watt back in and it stays at 78.8 now. But I gave up trying to find out why, and now will update them. Tried to throw some new things but wow the garage is cold. Even with little space heaters and warm water Nope! About ten min in I could feel every single screw in my legs and it was super painful. Would move the wheel inside but it makes way to big of a mess.

Speaking of pottery for those who know me I’m happy to make something for Xmas for you guys. Would definitely help if I wanna as told what one likes. But because the process is long (throw them dry then low fire then glaze then high fire then send takes a tad). I can post pics of newer items (which I can do here also :) I may have shown some of these but the new ones I’ll point out are pic 3 which is a mixed of white grey and chocolate clay into a very heart shaped vase has very rounded sides, I think pic 4 is new it’s a very tall vase about 18 inches tall it’s similar to a Rebecca pot. Pic 5 is definitely new it’s a lidded vase and the lid and vase are thrown from the same clay mound. Lid fits exact and is tight snug fit like they should be pic 6 is side view (FYI my camera kinda sucks but it’s like pics of corals real life is so much better than pic. The pic 7, 8 was made Friday so it’s suoer new and it’s a bowl with a candle holder vase in the center as made as one piece. The idea is for one to place their fav candle with decorative rocks around it. I want to make more of these. 9 and 10 is a very large fruit bowl or chips etc. it’s about five tall and about 14 wide (clay total is 4 pounds of clay), but would be great for holidays

E6DB1C58-392B-4926-AFF1-31F8ED38E99B.jpeg 4ECFC85C-8BB7-4BA6-98B1-7EF7CB58589D.jpeg C536C10B-51E9-49C8-A56F-3FDA9D5396AD.jpeg EFD41B90-14D5-4FA6-9DAD-E52BBAB2A1B0.jpeg EA6DFC91-583B-4CC4-84BA-2B626C90C71D.jpeg 448A5784-B115-40EF-9479-1F4D1E53AF41.jpeg CED20D9E-7E9A-409B-B58B-E5469F81EC69.jpeg 08C5E82C-67E6-4466-9FBC-2F17BF8F1BF2.jpeg 70D2E1E3-B35A-4199-B28C-89CF25B8E819.jpeg 36A55D05-273F-4EF9-9F9D-1B026FD558FD.jpeg D99AD190-04F4-4391-A4FB-4F999E535FC4.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Yes I am with you on the hard times and what not. I just barley made it past one year from my accident so that’s not a fun memory.
My tank is slowly crashing and think maybe I should just pull the remaining coral out and have it in a tank at the lfs then try and stabilize my tank. I can’t get rid of aptasia and it’s oh soooo annoying nothing kills the buggers. I don’t have a controller kit so have to use the other ones. I never knew you could buy them with out it.
And you had much more to overcome this past year than just the accident. I do worry about you but you seem to be doing better than could even be expected.
The main problem with trying to pull coral out of a system that is in the process of crashing is that the already stressed corals need to adapt to a new system. I'm hoping the rate that things are dying in my system slows down soon, and it seems to be.
As for heaters... using an Apex or Profilux controller provides the most stable temperature. You can use an Inkbird controller, but they are better for heaters with built in thermostats imo because they aren't accurate enough. You can still get 3 degree swings. Much better served as an emergency shut off.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you had much more to overcome this past year than just the accident. I do worry about you but you seem to be doing better than could even be expected.
The main problem with trying to pull coral out of a system that is in the process of crashing is that the already stressed corals need to adapt to a new system. I'm hoping the rate that things are dying in my system slows down soon, and it seems to be.
As for heaters... using an Apex or Profilux controller provides the most stable temperature. You can use an Inkbird controller, but they are better for heaters with built in thermostats imo because they aren't accurate enough. You can still get 3 degree swings. Much better served as an emergency shut off.

Hello,

Thank you kindly, I still have a very long ways to go and things still are not normal. The cold is really bad so I’m not fond of it at all now. It’s extremely painful to me with how they pinned and screwed my legs together. So walking on them at work is very painful. I’m still only doing 8 hour shifts and I’m not at 40 hours yet. (Ai still get paid my normal hours), but they want it slow which is good. Emotionally I’m still not okay and that’s been a struggle.

I really need to get a dosing machine and some thing like an apex so my system stays balanced even more.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Thank you kindly, I still have a very long ways to go and things still are not normal. The cold is really bad so I’m not fond of it at all now. It’s extremely painful to me with how they pinned and screwed my legs together. So walking on them at work is very painful. I’m still only doing 8 hour shifts and I’m not at 40 hours yet. (Ai still get paid my normal hours), but they want it slow which is good. Emotionally I’m still not okay and that’s been a struggle.

I really need to get a dosing machine and some thing like an apex so my system stays balanced even more.
2020 would have been an emotionally tough year even without all of the extra stuff going on in life. I'm glad your work is being cautious on how they bring you back to a more normal work schedule. Some places wouldn't do that. Then again, I think more employers are realizing just how hard it is to get and keep good employees.

I'm still not quite okay either, but that will take time. I think getting an Apex or Profilux would be a great option for you. It makes reef keeping so much easier! I already have that, so I am picking up something else to help get me through my struggles. My therapy car, I get to pick it up this afternoon.
1605099421295.png

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So sorry to hear that you are still in pain. Hopefully you heal up soon.

I'd highly recommend that you get an APEX and a Trident to monitor and auto-dose your tank. It would make managing your tank a lot easier.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2020 would have been an emotionally tough year even without all of the extra stuff going on in life. I'm glad your work is being cautious on how they bring you back to a more normal work schedule. Some places wouldn't do that. Then again, I think more employers are realizing just how hard it is to get and keep good employees.

I'm still not quite okay either, but that will take time. I think getting an Apex or Profilux would be a great option for you. It makes reef keeping so much easier! I already have that, so I am picking up something else to help get me through my struggles. My therapy car, I get to pick it up this afternoon.
1605099421295.png

Hello;

I totally jinxed myself ‍♀️♀️ I now have been set on paid leave. I was at work yesterday and they needed help in the er this week so I’ve been there but always with an aide. Had an individual come in who was suffering from a pcp overdose. They were not able to restrain the individual which I stood back and with five people he still managed to kick me in the face which knocked back and over equipment falling. Luckily a nurse had as there to help me up. Gave me a bad nose bleed and it cut my upper and lower lip. Then as the nurse was helping me (which I was pretty dazed), she went to get me towels and the same individual while fighting five people grabbed my hair and jerked me into the bed rail which hit the back of my neck. Which then three staff immediately was able to get me loose. They still couldn’t control the person and an officer coming by finally said this is enough and tased the individual and i was actually happy they did. Other staff had bite marks, punched, items ripped off and thrown at them. So I am really sore today and bruised up. Legs hurt really bad, but they checked me out and I’m fine. Just bruised and probably done with that section. I don’t want to risk breaking anything again. But was super bummed because I went to do pottery to keep my mind off of it and both hands and wrists hurt so bad it was kinda pointless. So lesson learned not to jinx myself.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and @Brew12 nice car not sure what it is, but looks kinda fast lol I don’t know cars. Probably should get one soon but still not keen on driving yet. Which has made life kinda hard. But yeah just not ready, which people ask me how am I okay getting rides. Well one I’m not driving and two I sit in the back :/

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello;

I totally jinxed myself ‍♀‍♀ I now have been set on paid leave. I was at work yesterday and they needed help in the er this week so I’ve been there but always with an aide. Had an individual come in who was suffering from a pcp overdose. They were not able to restrain the individual which I stood back and with five people he still managed to kick me in the face which knocked back and over equipment falling. Luckily a nurse had as there to help me up. Gave me a bad nose bleed and it cut my upper and lower lip. Then as the nurse was helping me (which I was pretty dazed), she went to get me towels and the same individual while fighting five people grabbed my hair and jerked me into the bed rail which hit the back of my neck. Which then three staff immediately was able to get me loose. They still couldn’t control the person and an officer coming by finally said this is enough and tased the individual and i was actually happy they did. Other staff had bite marks, punched, items ripped off and thrown at them. So I am really sore today and bruised up. Legs hurt really bad, but they checked me out and I’m fine. Just bruised and probably done with that section. I don’t want to risk breaking anything again. But was super bummed because I went to do pottery to keep my mind off of it and both hands and wrists hurt so bad it was kinda pointless. So lesson learned not to jinx myself.
What the heck?? Hope you’re okay
Here that is criminal charges for assault

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello;

I totally jinxed myself ‍♀‍♀ I now have been set on paid leave. I was at work yesterday and they needed help in the er this week so I’ve been there but always with an aide. Had an individual come in who was suffering from a pcp overdose. They were not able to restrain the individual which I stood back and with five people he still managed to kick me in the face which knocked back and over equipment falling. Luckily a nurse had as there to help me up. Gave me a bad nose bleed and it cut my upper and lower lip. Then as the nurse was helping me (which I was pretty dazed), she went to get me towels and the same individual while fighting five people grabbed my hair and jerked me into the bed rail which hit the back of my neck. Which then three staff immediately was able to get me loose. They still couldn’t control the person and an officer coming by finally said this is enough and tased the individual and i was actually happy they did. Other staff had bite marks, punched, items ripped off and thrown at them. So I am really sore today and bruised up. Legs hurt really bad, but they checked me out and I’m fine. Just bruised and probably done with that section. I don’t want to risk breaking anything again. But was super bummed because I went to do pottery to keep my mind off of it and both hands and wrists hurt so bad it was kinda pointless. So lesson learned not to jinx myself.
Holy cow, Sarah! I am so sorry that happened to you. You just can't catch a break. I hope you aren't scuffed up too badly and will get to feeling better soon. We need to get you a protective bubble.

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello;

Hope you’re feeling better soon Sarah!
It’s almost unbelievable how many unfortunate events you’ve been faced with in life. You’ve proved time and again though there’s no stopping Sarah!

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Well I only have some bruises and missing some of my hair which probably would have been cut anyway :/ . But I’m done for a while in the level five trauma. Not even gonna volunteer for a while. May just transfer to a family urgent care or family practice for a while. They did charge the person with aggravated battery enhanced do to I work in the er (drawing a blank). But anyway I have today and tomorrow off and I’ll be back at it but on the fifth floor again.

I worked on my tank today and it’s still being a brat. My alk is 7 and cal is 440, nitrates are maybe 5-10 but closer to 5 ish. Phosphates are 0.25 or lower it’s always hard to tell on the api. But everything has been the same and it just isn’t happy. Maybe it’s time to turn the lights back up to 12 hour High power. It’s the first time I’ve been kinda stumped. I’m going to add a file fish and goby. I did add more clean up crew and snails. It’s insane nobody can get turbo snails and most of them now are 5.99 for almost all of them and 1.99 for crabs holy Hannah. But added ten snails and 7 crabs then will add the same amount next week with the goby.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are lucky it's not o whole footballteam
after winning the worldleage instead of the youngsters.
With that volume of water beside the smell no worries i think.

Hello,

I’m super sorry but I have no idea how to respond. I can’t figure out what you were trying to say or if it was related. (Doesn’t need to be anyway), but lol huh?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m super sorry but I have no idea how to respond. I can’t figure out what you were trying to say or if it was related. (Doesn’t need to be anyway), but lol huh?
I'm pretty sure that was related to the initial post on the thread about using natural fertilizers supplied by children in a tank. ;)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back