Urgh seriously.

DiaTom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a study of reefs that showed that corals suffer when big fish are removed from the ecosystem and they discovered that it was the loss of fish urine that was most detrimental to the reef. Just saying.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So been thinking about tearing down my tank and just starting over. I’m keeping the fish but may redo rock work, I pacing of wave makers etc. adding more clean up crew and sand. My tank just isn’t happy and cant get rid of aptasia which is weird I never had any before. When I was sick They were not monitored and now they roam around. Maybe change lights and lol no hydras radions or kessil. Current USA has a new one being released Jan and they are supposed to be better than what I have. Been looking into some others. Want to redo the tank but also afraid I’ll stress the fish and be even worse off.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So been thinking about tearing down my tank and just starting over. I’m keeping the fish but may redo rock work, I pacing of wave makers etc. adding more clean up crew and sand. My tank just isn’t happy and cant get rid of aptasia which is weird I never had any before. When I was sick They were not monitored and now they roam around. Maybe change lights and lol no hydras radions or kessil. Current USA has a new one being released Jan and they are supposed to be better than what I have. Been looking into some others. Want to redo the tank but also afraid I’ll stress the fish and be even worse off.
Just did a complete rip clean on Sunday as well. Lost no fish but got rid of lots of crud! Had to move the tank to take care of floor issues. I think it might help to reset the tank for you. Lots of work for sure though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a complete rip clean on Sunday as well. Lost no fish but got rid of lots of crud! Had to move the tank to take care of floor issues. I think it might help to reset the tank for you. Lots of work for sure though.

Hello,

Wow nice, and no way could I do that, but will get rid of some of the corals that have died and aptasia and gha which isn’t much. My tank seems to like higher nitrates for some odd reason. Like between 10-20. Even some of the sps seem to do better. But I’m tired of the way it looks to an extent. Plus if I stick my hands in there now to move rock I’ll drown. Most of the rocks out weigh me or darn close to it.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Wow nice, and no way could I do that, but will get rid of some of the corals that have died and aptasia and gha which isn’t much. My tank seems to like higher nitrates for some odd reason. Like between 10-20. Even some of the sps seem to do better. But I’m tired of the way it looks to an extent. Plus if I stick my hands in there now to move rock I’ll drown. Most of the rocks out weigh me or darn close to it.
You need to go on a spaghetti and pizza diet. With chocolate and caramel covered brownies for desert. It's for the good of your aquarium! :p

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Don't drown! Get some water wings or a life jacket in case you fall in. I would hate to see you restart the tank. It would be a big job for you alone. I know my 140 got to a point where it looked pretty sad and I just stepped up maintenance and got my parameters back in line and slowly it came back around. It looked pretty bad too. I know you haven't started back driving, so how are you getting your water? Did you get an RO/DI unit? If so, maybe just start off doing some water changes and a good clean-up of rocks and substrate. I bet it would start looking better soon.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

It’s been a tad lol, but back again (see I’m coming back on more and more:). I’m adding a larger clean up crew plus a file fish, which are so hit and miss. But I still have some sps that died I need to get rid of and a few others. I’m hoping today to strike down the posse of aptasia again lol.

@Brew12 yeah lol probably a good idea lol think I’m 93 pounds, ranging between 89- and 95. Lol yes I do eat and I eat junk food also just rarely. I kept trying to buy the little mermaid floaters that go on your arms, but store staff won’t sell them to me. When I ask why it’s says they are for kids. When I say how do you know I don’t have kids, they simply say, well for starters you look 12. Not sure how that comes out but I don’t think it’s good lol.

I also finally finished my first raku firing (use a propane torch home made kiln, and then smother in wood chips), turned out amazing :) I only did one test piece but wish I had done more. My own mixed glazes turned out to be a success. (I can’t use them in a normal high fire glaze in electric kiln, temps there are much hotter 2700 compared to 2100 for raku. But with out delay here they are and pics do not do it justice a 1000000 times better in person. Yes the cracks in the glaze are normal, it’s the sudden temp change from 2100 to ahhh 49 degrees outside lol. Which is why they are cooled in wood chips and metal garbage can with a lid (too increase smoke and get the cracking effect. Luckily I had no structure cracks :)

Attachments

• 3BC4B208-1C88-47BA-8B84-E851A8F9DA4A.jpeg
    3BC4B208-1C88-47BA-8B84-E851A8F9DA4A.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 16D4AC54-2401-4F1F-A4BC-4E98B39D1ACC.jpeg
    16D4AC54-2401-4F1F-A4BC-4E98B39D1ACC.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 48
  • ADBEE098-0E34-4D78-BD25-31CC5EA82817.jpeg
    ADBEE098-0E34-4D78-BD25-31CC5EA82817.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 60A0BEA0-D336-478F-9440-5E17AE5B4D3C.jpeg
    60A0BEA0-D336-478F-9440-5E17AE5B4D3C.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 32
  • B79929B6-70CD-4646-92F0-5926A1D3CD22.jpeg
    B79929B6-70CD-4646-92F0-5926A1D3CD22.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 6C464E58-C6CA-4536-AEDD-2FAB8F5922E6.jpeg
    6C464E58-C6CA-4536-AEDD-2FAB8F5922E6.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 39

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

It’s been a tad lol, but back again (see I’m coming back on more and more:). I’m adding a larger clean up crew plus a file fish, which are so hit and miss. But I still have some sps that died I need to get rid of and a few others. I’m hoping today to strike down the posse of aptasia again lol.

@Brew12 yeah lol probably a good idea lol think I’m 93 pounds, ranging between 89- and 95. Lol yes I do eat and I eat junk food also just rarely. I kept trying to buy the little mermaid floaters that go on your arms, but store staff won’t sell them to me. When I ask why it’s says they are for kids. When I say how do you know I don’t have kids, they simply say, well for starters you look 12. Not sure how that comes out but I don’t think it’s good lol.

I also finally finished my first raku firing (use a propane torch home made kiln, and then smother in wood chips), turned out amazing :) I only did one test piece but wish I had done more. My own mixed glazes turned out to be a success. (I can’t use them in a normal high fire glaze in electric kiln, temps there are much hotter 2700 compared to 2100 for raku. But with out delay here they are and pics do not do it justice a 1000000 times better in person. Yes the cracks in the glaze are normal, it’s the sudden temp change from 2100 to ahhh 49 degrees outside lol. Which is why they are cooled in wood chips and metal garbage can with a lid (too increase smoke and get the cracking effect. Luckily I had no structure cracks :)
That's really pretty, Sarah!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Looks great! Still not sure how you are supposed to see the fish in them....

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Happy thanksgiving to all my friends and hope everyone enjoyed theirs. I added more clean up crew again and decreased my feeding. I have noticed that now all my fish are out a lot more and grazing, seems odd it was always 5 cubes a day, and now it’s 3 one day then 4 the next.
I’m hoping the file fish will do his job, but the more I read ahhh the more hit and miss they are. They seem to like corals which definitely was not mentioned to me. Kinda broke my own rule and didn’t really read up on them. Annoyed aptasia x doesn’t work at all, and it use to. Now it seems to be a waste or cause more of them. Some have become large so they are getting the chalk regardless. But they seem to come back just as large.

I do plan in trying to build or buy a raku kiln: they are not tooo hard to make. A tank of propane, a torch, garage cans (yes the metal ones lol, wood chips, and kiln bricks. But doing more research on them. I do like the look more than the glazed look but those have come out neat also.

oh and umm lol I can’t fire the nephew, he is family. I just tape off my tank with crime scene tape. Seems to keep them out and add humor since it’s been forever. It’s some good laughs now with family.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

As I sit here on the floor pondering why I should keep stretching, as I feel bones will snap crackle and pop, I didn’t realize what a feisty little cuss the file fish is. I never thought they were aggressive, and chase my tangs in the tank etc, (the purple tang not so much). Does anyone else have aggressive file fish? I’m also positive he is the ugly aptasia eating brown one :).

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

As I sit here on the floor pondering why I should keep stretching, as I feel bones will snap crackle and pop, I didn’t realize what a feisty little cuss the file fish is. I never thought they were aggressive, and chase my tangs in the tank etc, (the purple tang not so much). Does anyone else have aggressive file fish? I’m also positive he is the ugly aptasia eating brown one :).
You should keep stretching so your bones don't snap crackle or pop. Never had a file fish... wouldn't trust one in my system. I just ordered a herd of peppermint shrimp to deal with aptasia.

Hope you are doing well!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back