Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Sorry for the delay lol today has been the first time I have been able to get actually on. Works like normal now yay, I promise I’m still here :).

@Fin that’s a great way to look at it and well it’s very true. But that’s also what brings me to this thought of, how would the tank change on its own? How would it change over time with me at the helm? Granted all things equal heat lights etc, water parameters. But if I just let the corals grow and grow well I’m certain everything below the birdsnests would die because they grow silly fast. They definitely bring the nice feeling of a shade tree.

As it soo now has begun, the war of my green chromies lol. I had seven and now there is 6. Two groups of three and they definitely pick at each other now. They do it till one of the tangs drives through them, usually the Lt tang. I know one of th larger chromies nipped at him and the chase was on. As a matter of fact lol it happened at feeding time and The Lt tang definitely ate his share and made sure that chromie stayed on the other side. Now my kids are misbehaving does this mean I really need to feed the left and right sides now. So curious if I should let them errrr pick another one off or add one to throw a wrench in their game :). I like throwing a wrench into the works myself but, I never knew till 9 months later they were a damsel. I have never liked them, way to mean and aggressive. I had a damsel in my old tank and smallest fish and by far the meanest. I finally had to catch it yay. The lfs wouldn’t put it in their reef tanks and threw it in with a fish only tank and semi to aggressive tank. If memory serves me right he lived a long time in that tank and not sure if he was eaten or sold (pretty fish), sure was mean and he nipped at me when I put my hands in the tank.

Today as I fed my fish and music was playing, but I had pandora playing and the rubberband man song came on lol. Little did I realize it’s also used in the avengers movie. Now I will have to get that song and see what happens if I play it again. (Yes I’m talking about the one from errrrrrr 70s idk by the spookers???, which now I can’t get the bloody song out of my head, I’m dying to see a rubberband man dance lol.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I am done with chromises myself. No more damsels either. Too much drama! :)
Lol, I should have read your post first. Just added 3 tiny azures.
Beautiful fish. Already annoyed with them.
Post up and sit there until they aggravate someone else or each other.
Beautiful fish....

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I should have read your post first. Just added 3 tiny azures.
Beautiful fish. Already annoyed with them.
Post up and sit there until they aggravate someone else or each other.
Beautiful fish....
Yea azures are like that..I tried 3 in my 90, quickly turned into 1.
I just got some rollands damsels the other day for my other tank, they seem much more “chill”.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I had 7 and now I was down to six and now down to five. They were happy for about 14 months lol. The last one though not sure if it was from the other chromies or the massive tail slap across the tank from the Lt tang. The chromie nipped his tail and it was a non stop war. With that said I’m not going to replace them with new ones. Not to mention now the Lt tang and purple tang are on the hunt for them. They had little groups and now they are one big group of five. But the purple and Lt tang gang up on them, then the blue hippo joins in. The biggest fish of all the naso tang does absolutely nothing but swim and eat seaweed lol. Hmmmm

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I had 7 and now I was down to six and now down to five. They were happy for about 14 months lol. The last one though not sure if it was from the other chromies or the massive tail slap across the tank from the Lt tang. The chromie nipped his tail and it was a non stop war. With that said I’m not going to replace them with new ones. Not to mention now the Lt tang and purple tang are on the hunt for them. They had little groups and now they are one big group of five. But the purple and Lt tang gang up on them, then the blue hippo joins in. The biggest fish of all the naso tang does absolutely nothing but swim and eat seaweed lol. Hmmmm
I have 4 yellow tailed damsels and the only thing that picks on them is the male Bimac anthias. Otherwise, they chase each other on on occasion but nothing bad. Had all 4 for over 2 years now. My tangs completely ignore them.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So today I came home to a shocking surprise (and not a good one). It appears my purple tang has Ick somehow. I have had the same fish in the tank and not added anything to my tank fish wise. No I have added coral from lfs but their coral tanks are separate from the fish tanks.

I use garlic guard every day and run twin uv steralizers 24/7. So to be honest I have no idea how ick came into my tank, and so far the purple tang is the only one who has it. Catching them probably won’t be easy if even possible, but maybe will try feed in a glass bowl where I can catch them all and qt them. Any other suggestions to help with this @Brew12 ?

Here are some pics she did eat like crazy and isn’t hiding or scratching on rocks after an hour of watching her.

F16000E5-AE1D-48D2-BBEB-19894F0DC1AC.jpeg

0CD7C811-11E4-492F-9DC0-A5BFE5C23E04.jpeg

5CD146C9-82F8-4C0C-A688-3FEE72CBAB60.jpeg

23DCD7DC-3A83-40E4-8040-9F8C28C85C08.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So today I came home to a shocking surprise (and not a good one). It appears my purple tang has Ick somehow. I have had the same fish in the tank and not added anything to my tank fish wise. No I have added coral from lfs but their coral tanks are separate from the fish tanks.

I use garlic guard every day and run twin uv steralizers 24/7. So to be honest I have no idea how ick came into my tank, and so far the purple tang is the only one who has it. Catching them probably won’t be easy if even possible, but maybe will try feed in a glass bowl where I can catch them all and qt them. Any other suggestions to help with this @Brew12 ?

Here are some pics she did eat like crazy and isn’t hiding or scratching on rocks after an hour of watching her.

F16000E5-AE1D-48D2-BBEB-19894F0DC1AC.jpeg

0CD7C811-11E4-492F-9DC0-A5BFE5C23E04.jpeg

5CD146C9-82F8-4C0C-A688-3FEE72CBAB60.jpeg

23DCD7DC-3A83-40E4-8040-9F8C28C85C08.jpeg
Wow, this is a tough situation. Is the purple tang new to your tank?
We've learned that it may not be possible to irradicate ich using a fallow period. I would concentrate on reducing stress and feeding high quality foods. Do you use LRS foods?
Mind if I ask @Lasse to offer some advice? He's from Sweden so may not see this till tomorrow.
If your purple tang has it odds are all the fish in your system have it. But, pulling and treating all your fish may not be your best solution. It may be important to treat the purple tang since he is showing symptoms.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this is a tough situation. Is the purple tang new to your tank?
We've learned that it may not be possible to irradicate ich using a fallow period. I would concentrate on reducing stress and feeding high quality foods. Do you use LRS foods?
Mind if I ask @Lasse to offer some advice? He's from Sweden so may not see this till tomorrow.
If your purple tang has it odds are all the fish in your system have it. But, pulling and treating all your fish may not be your best solution. It may be important to treat the purple tang since he is showing symptoms.

Hello,

Thanks and sure ask anyone I just don’t know how to get him out of my tank. It doesn’t just come apart and tons of places for them to go. The purple tang has been in as long as all the other maybe a few weeks less. They all went in within one week of each other in groups. I have not added any new fish since then. I haven’t had any issues with any of my fish other than the gobies jumping out. I did feed about 30 min ago and the purple tang like all of them ate like they were starving.

Curious if I dim the lights if it will help with stress but nobody in Boise has a fish trap. As soon as a net goes in my tank the fish are long gone. I was thinking of feeding in a glass jar where I could catch each one but so far the only other one who has any signs is my hippo tang and she has two tiny spots.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

As I’m super sick myself I changed the lights and actually three of my tangs have ick the purple, Lt tang, and tommini tang, no signs on the naso, possible on my hippo tang as well. No signs on the clown, Bellus angel and (stupid chromies). So not sure what to do @Brew12

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

As I’m super sick myself I changed the lights and actually three of my tangs have ick the purple, Lt tang, and tommini tang, no signs on the naso, possible on my hippo tang as well. No signs on the clown, Bellus angel and (stupid chromies). So not sure what to do @Brew12

Are your UV lamps current and running? They only last about 6 months before requiring replacement. It might be possible that they are faulty or not running properly. Do you have ozone injection in your skimmer?

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your UV lamps current and running? They only last about 6 months before requiring replacement. It might be possible that they are faulty or not running properly. Do you have ozone injection in your skimmer?

Hello,

The uv steralizers I use the green killing machine have an led indicator of the lamp is working or not. However with that said lol who knows. But I know for certain one of the bulbs is under 6 months (probably close) but again at a loss since I haven’t added any new fish.

My Lt tang is the worse after seeing him in the blue lights he definitely shows more than my purple tang. But again all of them are doing what they normally do. I was thinking if there was a food I could feed but nothing really is proven. I can’t imagjne ick can transfer to corals. Even if they could the new corals I have added from my lfs (never ever have fish in them). I have not mixed any other water, so it had to be a stress factor. Problem is nothing has changed that I know of to cause stress. The only thing Else I did was used balance to bring my ph up. But it was at 8.0 after I dosed it so wasn’t super high. Of the things to cause ick or stress them out, I don’t think that’s one of them.

It’s sad that nobody has a fish trap and I have to slowly watch my fish die on me. No way I can remove the rock and or even the corals. Catching them in a net atm is not likely, as soon as a net goes in they scatter. The two most prone tangs to get ick my hippo and naso, have yet to show signs. Sure it’s only a matter of time, but will feed a little extra and let it soak up in the garlic guard.

I’m truly stumped for the first time as to why something went wrong in my tank with my fish. I purposely didn’t add fish to avoid that risk. All fish went in after my tank cycled within weeks of each other. The only new addition about 8 months ago was my goby. He has no signs of it either (yet).

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

The uv steralizers I use the green killing machine have an led indicator of the lamp is working or not. However with that said lol who knows. But I know for certain one of the bulbs is under 6 months (probably close) but again at a loss since I haven’t added any new fish.

My Lt tang is the worse after seeing him in the blue lights he definitely shows more than my purple tang. But again all of them are doing what they normally do. I was thinking if there was a food I could feed but nothing really is proven. I can’t imagjne ick can transfer to corals. Even if they could the new corals I have added from my lfs (never ever have fish in them). I have not mixed any other water, so it had to be a stress factor. Problem is nothing has changed that I know of to cause stress. The only thing Else I did was used balance to bring my ph up. But it was at 8.0 after I dosed it so wasn’t super high. Of the things to cause ick or stress them out, I don’t think that’s one of them.

It’s sad that nobody has a fish trap and I have to slowly watch my fish die on me. No way I can remove the rock and or even the corals. Catching them in a net atm is not likely, as soon as a net goes in they scatter. The two most prone tangs to get ick my hippo and naso, have yet to show signs. Sure it’s only a matter of time, but will feed a little extra and let it soak up in the garlic guard.

I’m truly stumped for the first time as to why something went wrong in my tank with my fish. I purposely didn’t add fish to avoid that risk. All fish went in after my tank cycled within weeks of each other. The only new addition about 8 months ago was my goby. He has no signs of it either (yet).
Sorry to hear your going through this. What’s your temp controller? Are you sure your tank isn’t getting warmer now? My blue hippo randomly gets Ick if it’s to warm for a few days, then it goes away for several months, so strange.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear your going through this. What’s your temp controller? Are you sure your tank isn’t getting warmer now? My blue hippo randomly gets Ick if it’s to warm for a few days, then it goes away for several months, so strange.

Hello,

I’m wondering that myself honestly. Boise went from like average of 60 degrees to 68 two weeks ago to now mid 80s and low 90s. I keep my house at 68 degrees year around, but Sunday my water felt warm and of course my thermometer didn’t work. Both heaters are set to 76-77 degrees, and my digital thermometer always said 79 in the display.

I have no idea of the outcome of this or what will happen. I’m hoping because they were all fat and healthy, they will pull through. But not knowing what caused this will drive absolutely nuts. Of all the things, the hardest for me to handle is an ick break out. I have no way of catching my fish and tearing my tank down. It’s the sole reason I didn’t add so many fish after the fact. I didn’t have any signs of ick, and tried to keep it that way.

I’m really hoping @Lasse has some good words of wisdom and at @jsker. It really is horrible to watch your fish slowly die and there isn’t much you can do. I can’t destory my reef (that would one unethical but costly also). If I stress those out then I lose both. Knowing they have possibly 50/50 chance why stress the fish out more by trying to catch them. Still going to try some other locals and see if they have a fish trap, yet again I may not catch the super sick ones, but the ones smart enough to go in there I can take to qt. Which means my tank had to go fallow for almost 90 days.

So need to invent away to kill ick while the fish are in the reef.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this.

In a theoretical way – the corals could have been the vector but if your LFS do not have any fish in his coral system – it must be a very bad luck if the parasite come in that way. All evil forces united in order to give you ich – or – there is – for us – unknown pathways for the parasite.

However – what to do now. The hard way is to break the whole system apart and catch the fish, treat with TTM or chemicals. You will have more advises of this from people more experienced with this than me. I think you have to act in one or another way because it looks like the biomass of parasites are too high – the fish will probably not manage this by themselves.

A more risky and unsafe way could be to use ozone or H2O2 in order to prevent or take down the rate of reinfection (kill the parasites in the free-swimming stage). Ozone maybe is the best option because if you want to use H2O2 – I think is necessary to ad it in a continue way. I have never tested the type of bags used in hospitals in order to drop nutrients into your body together with peroxide – but who knows – just an idea. There is indications that the parasite will be released in the early morning, hence it could be important with treatments in the morning

Dosage? When I have used ozone (I have to admit – only once) in this way – I let the ozone go into my skimmer and when I could smell ozone – I just turn it down a little. Just let the ozone work for a while. If you are going higher in ozone – just take a net bag of dry active carbon and place over the air outlet at the cover of the skimmer. Look after bad effects on your corals and other inverts

H2O2 dosage. Here I have no clue. I use peroxide as a no disease treatment with the amount of around 100 ml 9 % H2O2/ 300 l and week. I do not know the technique of your UV-C but a combination of some UV-C and H2O2 can be very effective because the UV-C will be catalysing the breakdown of H2O2. However – you need probably to dose in a continuous way (I have an oxydator) or many smaller dosages during day and early morning hours. If you can get 12 % H2O2 – you can try with a lower dosage every 6 hours. But you need to observe your system. Dosage to start with and where? If I would test in your system as you have describe it - I would add the H2O2 into the DT in a high movement area. Start with slowly adding mayby 5 ml 12 % H2O2 /100 litres observing whats happens. If no bad effects after 6 hours - slowly ad more and observe. However - I have no clue of dosage - you must try it out by yourself. and please write it down and come back with your observations

Your fish is still eating. Is there any way to get QF into your fish by food? I have some idea that QF can act on the attaching state of the parasite - not sure - but it could. To add QF in the water of the DT - to risky IMO

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar case with Tricodina in Boise. The tank temperature elevated and the fish took on symptoms that look very much like ich. Tricodina is symbiotic until the fish is stressed and then becomes pathogenic. We used real UV-C not the lower grade green machine units. You should consider a TMC unit or two from American Aquarium in Oregon. TMC is the same unit @Lasse uses in Sweden and it is of higher quality and design. There is information on how to size the units for killing parasites on their site or just call them. Make sure the temperature not elevated in the tank.

I have some Sanders Ozone generators on my shelf and can send you one overnight for you to use if you need it. Just PM me a ship to address. I have 50 and 100mg units just sitting on the shelf. You can just send it back if you want when you are done with it. You can also get the Oxydators that @Lasse uses in the US and I can send you information for the sources. You just hook up the Ozone generator to the inlet to your protein skimmer.

If your fish are still showing normal feeding and swimming behavior I would just observe and continue the nutritional requirements add the upgraded UV-C units and ride it out. If it is Tricodina it will subside once the temperature is stabilized and the UV-C is added.

Let me know if I can help you. I am out this morning but should be back in time to get the Ozone generator shipped to you today if you want.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again, late to the party.

Hello Sarah

I was taught by Lou over at Wide World of Coral to dose Seachem's metroplex, brightwell's vitamarin M, and focus mixed with my frozen to get rid of ick in my system without quarantine in the past and it is my go to recommendation. The Seachem focus binds the the anitbiotic and vitamina to the food so that the fish ingest the medications and vitamins. I would does for 10 to 14 days and continue to feed the vitamins. It has worked for myself in the past with great results.

In my personal experience, and this is my theory:rolleyes: Tangs get stressed real easy and contract ick because their immune systems get week with stress and that stress could be very minor. The antibiotics help with treating the ick fast and the vitamins help with the stress and build back there immune system. Ick is like a common cold to fish. I also dose vitamin c with my frozen to help both the fish and corals. You may ask why corals? The vitamin c helps with coral recovery for getting blasted with lights and tank stress. I did a search for using vitamins in a reef system link for more information. I have been using vitamins in my system for a very long time.:)

As a side note; Seacheme Kanaplex is more for broke and velvet and it is best to keep all three on hand for the reason, fast we treat the better the results are.

Turn off the uv sterilizer when dosing for 2 hours. The sterilizer voids out the meds

Thank you for reaching out and I am here to help and let me know how it goes:)

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Thanks everyone for reaching out to me quickly. I’m not certain what to do because yesterday was the first day i have seen it. Now this morning I was expecting all my other fish to have signs or the ones with it to be worse.

Actually no new fish has shown signs and the ones that do have it ate like crazy this morning and are out swimming like they always do.

I can say for certain I need to do something just don’t wanna make it worse. Now I have definitely become more sick overnight, hate the viruses. If they didn’t give me such a bad migraine and fever I could probably manage

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back