Uronema

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started a 40G breeder. I was using 3 green chromis to cycle the tank. One came down with that disease and I just Fw dipped and then put into QT. Upon researching I saw an article Humblefish did on about the disease being permanently in the tank, I’m not with that at all, as I have two clowns in my bigger tank that I was going to put in that tank. Should I restart the tank and throw all the sand out along with the water, sterilize the tank and start over? There’s nothing in there but rock, water prefilter and sponge filter.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started a 40G breeder. I was using 3 green chromis to cycle the tank. One came down with that disease and I just Fw dipped and then put into QT. Upon researching I saw an article Humblefish did on about the disease being permanently in the tank, I’m not with that at all, as I have two clowns in my bigger tank that I was going to put in that tank. Should I restart the tank and throw all the sand out along with the water, sterilize the tank and start over? There’s nothing in there but rock, water prefilter and sponge filter.
He’s correct, Uronema can be isolated from many tanks, and most have no issues. Uronema normally feeds on bacteria. Nobody knows why, but in some fish, typically newly acquired chromis, wrasse or anthias, it becomes a fish pathogen. Once the disease has run its course, and if you stay away from susceptible species, you won’t have issues with it.
Jay

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s correct, Uronema can be isolated from many tanks, and most have no issues. Uronema normally feeds on bacteria. Nobody knows why, but in some fish, typically newly acquired chromis, wrasse or anthias, it becomes a fish pathogen. Once the disease has run its course, and if you stay away from susceptible species, you won’t have issues with it.
Jay
Okay, but I want to put two clowns in and I see they’re susceptible to that disease and my girl would kill me if anything happened to them. Should I just start that tank over?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, but I want to put two clowns in and I see they’re susceptible to that disease and my girl would kill me if anything happened to them. Should I just start that tank over?
I’ve never seen Uronema on a clownfish, but you also can’t be 100% certain it was Uronema without using a microscope, so I would restart the tank.
For all of my quarantine systems, if I have one that held fish in it with a fish issue that I wasn’t scessful in stopping, and the fish died, I nuke that tank and start it over.

Jay

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen Uronema on a clownfish, but you also can’t be 100% certain it was Uronema without using a microscope, so I would restart the tank.
For all of my quarantine systems, if I have one that held fish in it with a fish issue that I wasn’t scessful in stopping, and the fish died, I nuke that tank and start it over.

Jay
Okay, I’ll keep and eye on the one that’s infected in the QT and if he dies within the next 24-48hrs, I will tare down the 40g breeder and restart the tank, but what about the other fish who aren’t infected or don’t show any markings? Is it safe to say they won’t have it either?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I’ll keep and eye on the one that’s infected in the QT and if he dies within the next 24-48hrs, I will tare down the 40g breeder and restart the tank, but what about the other fish who aren’t infected or don’t show any markings? Is it safe to say they won’t have it either?
What species are they?
Jay

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic

Attachments

• FCE1A263-B332-4A3A-86F1-BD1A19CE1C13.jpeg
    FCE1A263-B332-4A3A-86F1-BD1A19CE1C13.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what’s the cleaning process of the tank for this? Right now I’m putting boiling water into my qt which I moved him to

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what’s the cleaning process of the tank for this? Right now I’m putting boiling water into my qt which I moved him to
I don't like to use hot water - too hot and you risk damaging equipment, and too cols and it has not benefit. You need to clean everything that was exposed to the tank water. I use bleach, it doesn't take much, 20 ml per gallon, then rinse really really well.. The trick is to buy bleach that doesn't have any soap additives - tough to find now days. I found some at Gordon Food services.

Jay

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like to use hot water - too hot and you risk damaging equipment, and too cols and it has not benefit. You need to clean everything that was exposed to the tank water. I use bleach, it doesn't take much, 20 ml per gallon, then rinse really really well.. The trick is to buy bleach that doesn't have any soap additives - tough to find now days. I found some at Gordon Food services.

Jay
Thanks, I will buy some bleach today.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will buy some bleach today.
Glad you wrote back - I meant 20ml per liter, not gallon! So more like 80 ml per gallon. Also, after the final rinse, refill with tap water and add dechlorinator to remove any residual chlorine.
Jay

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back