Use of Lasers in Controlling Pest Algae and Corals

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.2 watt is the largest. It's plenty for killing pests. Algae is a bit harder but can be done. I got 445 nm. Love it

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://lazerer.com/Blue_Laser_Pointer?product_id=153

That is for the blue one I have

Something that is important to note is that this thing is insanely powerful. It hurts my eyes even through the safety glasses. Know ur stuff before u fire this thing up. This is no freaking laser pointer, actually reminds more of a beam sword from star wars that is a mile long. Seriously though this thing isn't as much a toy as I thought. My eyes actually hurt like hell right now after using it for about 10 min and I had the goggles on the whole time. I'm currently looking for stronger safety glasses.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyber 445nm - 1.2W Focusable Blue Laser Pointer Water Proof

That is for the blue one I have

Something that is important to note is that this thing is insanely powerful. It hurts my eyes even through the safety glasses. Know ur stuff before u fire this thing up. This is no freaking laser pointer, actually reminds more of a beam sword from star wars that is a mile long. Seriously though this thing isn't as much a toy as I thought. My eyes actually hurt like hell right now after using it for about 10 min and I had the goggles on the whole time. I'm currently looking for stronger safety glasses.
EpicWin - You should not have any eye discomfort when using the appropriate eye protection - I recommend you don't use your laser until you get better eye protection. If you are in any discomfort, you should seek medical help immediately. I have the same same 1.2W Lazerer unit and a far more powerful 1.7W Survival laser. While using the Eagle Pair glasses, I can barely see the beam end-point.

I had hoped the continuous warnings contained throughout this thread would have quashed any thoughts that high power lasers are toys. Your eyes can be damaged by simply viewing the intense blue light generated by the beam and endpoint without appropriate eye protection. These are potentially dangerous tools that can destroy your eyesight, or that of anyone within range of the beam in a fraction of a second. As a reminder, here is what a fraction-of-a-second strike from a 1.0W 445nm laser does to a human retina...

1W445nm_Retina-1.jpg

Healthy_retina.jpg

Healthy retina

That injury came from a laser, less powerful than yours rolling off a table. Here is the link describing the injury and resulting surgery - Hit in eye with 1000mw 445nm blue laser - Laser Pointer Forums - Discuss Lasers & Laser Pointers

Last edited:

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's not messing around. So the glasses u got were from survival laser? Mine were from lazerer and are red. They do dim it but it def hurts the eyes. I need to get a new pair.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's not messing around. So the glasses u got were from survival laser? Mine were from lazerer and are red. They do dim it but it def hurts the eyes. I need to get a new pair.

I'm not familiar with any laser safety glasses that use red lenses. I'm concerned you have the wrong glasses that may not provide much if any protection. All the 405nm lenses I've seen are orange in color....

DSC_2082.jpg

Eagle Pair® 190-540nm Standard Laser Safety Goggles

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What nm is your laser? I'm assuming those glasses work well for you? I've been looking around and have found some 100$ range ones. Might go with the ones u posted though if they work well for u

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What nm is your laser? I'm assuming those glasses work well for you? I've been looking around and have found some 100$ range ones. Might go with the ones u posted though if they work well for u
Both are 445nm. The Eagle Pair are high-quality work very well.

Tom, Do you have any updated videos or comments from your Youtube channel? Thanks.
I've been tied up with a new build and haven't had much opportunity to do any updates on the lasers. They contiinue to be very effective. I find that I typically use them from outside the tank as its faster and easier than working submerged. IMO, as long as the safety precautions are followed, this is the most effective way to eradicate most pests.

I wonder if it work on bubble algae
Yup, works great on Valonia. A couple seconds lazing each bubble - over the next couple days they fade, shrivel and die.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to invest in one of these

Tom can you please recommend a laser for me
Both of mine are 445nm - My 1.7W came from Survival Laser, the 1.2W from Lazerer (I think I provided links earlier in the thread.)

A small update - I lased a couple of larger Aiptasia about 2 weeks back and noticed that both were regrowing. I believe the regrowth was a result of my failure to gain access to the foot of the polyp. These polyps were attached to the stems of Frag plugs that were angled in such a manner I didn't have a "clean shot" at the attachment point and I didn't take the time to rotate them for better access.

I've had great success up to this point, so I believe it was a case of user error. The key to preventing regrowth seems to be super-heating the entire polyp. I believe having the highest power output / longest duty cycle laser provides for increased success. To that end, I ordered a custom made 2W+ 445nm laser with increased heat-syncing and a G-1 lens that should work very well for this process. It won't be complete for a couple of weeks, but I'll post updates thereafter. Here are a couple photos of the new laser design...

P3110112.jpg

P3130058.jpg

P3130094.jpg

The addition of this 3rd laser will allow for alternating the lasers making quick work of any pests without being limited by duty-cycle concerns.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new one looks like a thin blade light saber. I want one!

I'll have to check out the ones you mentioned above. Our local clubs want to get our hands on one to help remove some pests from member tanks. I need to remove some invasive palys and there are two members who want to remove clove polyps. Would it work for those two?

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'll have to check out the ones you mentioned above. Our local clubs want to get our hands on one to help remove some pests from member tanks. I need to remove some invasive palys and there are two members who want to remove clove polyps. Would it work for those two?
Done correctly, the laser has proven to be very effective against most every pest. One caveat - I've found the lighter colored targets are more resistant (Xenia and lighter colored cloves) but even they can be eradicated with longer lase times.

I'd be very cautious about a laser in a club setting. I would require a massive disclaimer and any users to read through and sign off on the safety requirements. Used incorrectly, higher power lasers present a real risk of blindness (Laser safety glasses are required for EVERYONE within range of the laser.)

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be very cautious about a laser in a club setting. I would require a massive disclaimer and any users to read through and sign off on the safety requirements. Used incorrectly, higher power lasers present a real risk of blindness (Laser safety glasses are required for EVERYONE within range of the laser.)

Yeah it would be a safety first thing and probably only a select few who would be able to do the treatment. Basically by having it for the club I mainly mean having it around so if someone needs something erradicated, a trained person can stop over and assist. I think the initial cost to get one will turn some away though so it may not happen.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're addicted :)

CJ
LOL - Although I understand why some might think so, I'm actually not. While lasers are intriguing, I view them primarily as a tool and am focused on the results. The design of the new host and the use of the cooling "fins" allow for far greater cooling and longer duty cycles. The fact that it looks "cool" is just a value-add coincidence :)

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wait a few more years and we'll be using light sabers instead of lasers :) can't wait....

jelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats the best way to water proof my laser or make it so i dont burn any thing else in my tank if i have to use it from outside the tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back