beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dynamic aquaria Adey& Lovland

Ecology of the planted aquaria Dianna Walstad

Some old (or are the new?) thoughts on aquarium keeping Robert gaser FAMA feb 1969.

fraggardner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if anyone is looking for the wilkerson book i found two of them brand new on a rack in my LFS (I'm keeping one so the other is up for grabs). It is a great book not worth the 450 amazon is asking but i'am willing to listen to offers im leaning more to trade nice zoas, palys, acans frags, chalice frags and sps frags cash i have but i love collecting dont come out of pocket. trade me somethings that has grown in your tank

Steven Pro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My top four books for beginners are:
Michael Paletta's "The New Marine Aquarium"
Scott Michael's "Pocket Expert Guide to Marine Fishes"
Robert Fenner's "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist"
Nilsen & Fossa's "Reef Secrets"

neecee268

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great list of books, I think I will head to the bookstore this weekend. Is there a place to see 'pitfalls' or things to avoid? Just looking into getting started and there is SO much information. I guess I won't really know until I try, but some of the pics of these tanks are beautiful and I get so excited to start and then a little fear creeps in. I'll read a thread talking about chemicals and live sand and feel i'm a little over my head :)

I have an excellent store nearby with knowledgeable people and hoping that will build a little comfort as well.

Again thanks for the list ;)

Eizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Complete Idiots Guide To Saltwater Aquariums

That's another good book for the beginner. They really try to cover every possible set up, and give pros and cons to each, ie, DSB vs. bare bottom vs. SSB. I highly recommend this book.

jjn42b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me suggest a hard to find oddball but an immensely interesting book: "the Living Aquarium" by Crescent publishing

It's an out of print book but they produced a lot of them. Available off an on at Amazon, frequently for cheap. This is one of the most comprehensive aquarium books I have ever read. Fresh, brackish and marine...cutting edge for its time (freshwater refugia!). The chapters on building aquaria alone are worth it for the price (clear instructions for building glass with charts for thickness pending height and length over a run...plus fiberglass and insulated plywood tanks!).

Truly a great beginners book.

this was originally posted by Anthony Calfo

just looked on Amazon and got a shock with a new price of 125 GBP, but good news second hand book for less than 3GBP!!!!

Last edited:

jjn42b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This forum will get me in trouble, just been through ebay and amazon and bought a handful of Books. Good news I will learn a lot more bad news othe half not happy about the cash! :)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 68 46.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back