Using an ADIN card for automation purpose

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use of 1-10 V devices is more or less standard today. This include LED fixtures, return pumps and wavemakers. Already from the beginning there is very good functions in order to control illumination with the 32 separately 1-10 V functions (L1-L32) in the software and P4 comes with 6 separate hardware channels. However - the control of L1 to L32 can be dynamically done only by illumination channels, stream groups, maintenance programs and flowmeters. For the moment you can´t use programmable logic in order to let - as an example - a skimmer to rise its pumpfrequensy if pH drop (or rise to much) in order to adjust the gas exchange in the skimmer or to lower the return pumps speed when feeding. If you want this - you need to do it with the maintenance or feed programming - but as it is for the moment - you have to activate maintenance and feed mode manually by MyGHL, Profilux touch or GCC. At least what I have discover - if I have miss something - please let me know. When I feed my fishes today - I want my return and skimmer pump to drop to around 10 % speed in order to prolong the time the food will be in the DT. I feed with much of small food like frozen artemia, mysis and copepods. I have a maintenance program that fix that for me and I start it in a manual way through MyGHL. However in the nights I have a dosing pump that dose copepods and invertebrate food from a bottle - see this thread. I want the return pump and skimmer pump to slow down during the feeding and 15 - 30 minutes after that. Today I fix that with an illumination channel that change the frequency at the same time the dosing pump should start dosing and change back 15 minutes after it has stop dosing. It works well but if I change the dosing pump:s schedule - I need to change the illumination channel too. I was looking for a way to do this automatically - if the dosing pump start - it should directly slow down the pumps or whatever 1-10 V device you want to change. I can witl PL have the pump outlet totally shut down when the dosing pump starts but I need around 10 % flow during feeding - therefore that´s no option for the moment.

However - there is a possibility to activate both maintenance, feeding programs and individual sockets with help of digital inputs. However individual 1-10 V channels can´t as I know be controlled by digital inputs but the ADIN card also have two analog inputs (0-10V) and with some tweaks - I think that it is possible to control L ports directly with a stable voltage. For the moment I will concentrate me on the digital inputs.

A digital input is basically a switch - could be on or of. It is apparently that way that using a physical switch you can activate both maintenance programs, feed pauses and physical power bars/hubs switches. With a push button you can activate maintenance programs and switches (switches with help of PL commands) But I want to go behind the use of physical buttons and let my P4 decide when the digital input should be on or of. That I can solve with help of a relay that is managed by the switch in a power bar. If I want to manage 4 digital inputs in an automatically way - I need 4 physical power bars outlet and four relays. But - lucky me - GHL have already a product with manageable relays - the power hub. It has 6 relays managed as switch channels in the software and you can use it as on of relays or as power sources from 0 - 230 V (AC or DC does not matter) They act like a power bar but you chose the voltage through the relay.

The ADIN card comes with the standard RJ45 interface. Pin 1 = +10 V:; pin 2-5 are digital input 1-4 ; pin 6-7 are analog input 1-2 and pin 8 is GND. Pin 2 in connection with GND is digital input 1 on, if the connection is not there - DI 1 is off. The same for DI 2-4 (pin 3-5) and GND. If there is a signal between 0-10 to pin 6 or 7 (from a physical L-port as an example - or even from an external source) you will have an input signal of the same amplitude and can use it further in the system.

Now I need a breakout card and I found this that could be used on a DIN rail - as you can see - Pin 2-5 is connected/disconnected with help relays 1-4 in the power hub with ground - if some of these relays is activated by the PAB connection to the profilux (in this case a P3) they will act as active digitals inputs as on.

breakout-1.jpg

breakout3.jpg

do1.jpg

do2.jpg

Relay 5-6 of the power hub maybe will be used to manage analog inputs in the future :p

This is how this project has developed for now - I will come back later when I have installed the ADIN card in my main P4 (or expansion Box 2) and start to programming things. It could take some time - but I will update sooner or later. I have now confirmed ( with help of the P3 set up) that i should work as planned. When the food doser start it gives a pulse that activate a maintenance program for x minutes.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind during maintenance, control circuits are disabled.
Whats you mean with that - As I know it - if you do not explicite mark that a switch should be shut off - it works as normal.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the programming guide - my bold

Set affected 1-10V interfaces Here you can select the 1-10V interfaces to be affected during maintenance. All non-selected interfaces continue to operate normally and program-controlled during maintenance.

Adjust affected 1-10V interfaces For the previously selected 1-10V interfaces, you can set here which voltage in percentage they shall output during the maintenance.

Select affected socket outlets Here, you can set which sockets should be influenced during maintenance. All unselected sockets continue to operate normally and program-controlled during maintenance.

Adjust affected socket outlets The switch state (on or off) can be set for the previously selected sockets during maintenance.

The following two settings are available only if a Mitras Lightbar is connected.

Select affected Mitras Lightbar LEDs Here it is possible to adjust which LEDs of Mitras Lightbar are to be influenced during maintenance. All non-selected LEDs continue to operate normally and as programmed during maintenance.

Adjust affected Mitras Lightbar LEDs For the previously selected LEDs, the brightness can be adjusted as a percentage during maintenance

Sincerely Lasse

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that's fine in this case, I just wanted to remind you. Personally, I don't use the PowerCut function because of this, if a power cut activates a maintenance (this is how the PowerCut function works), during the whole power cut there will be no more osmolation. . (ATO) and all my overflow level protections will be disabled ...
And if I understood what you want to do, you want to use PLM-ADIN to automatically launch maintenances in order to be able to act automatically on the 1-10v outputs.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I want to slow down my return and skimmer pump. This means that I will get a high level in my sump and it does not matter if the osmolation is not active. I have no overflow protection. But I did not know this - thank you for your insight about this issue. I know that sensor alarms are disable but not this.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I completed my installation and from now - every night (3 times a night) when I automatically feed with cyclops and invertebrate food my return flow goes down to 5 %, my skimmer to 25 % and one of my streamers flow goes up to 100% (wave action normally) for 45 minutes with start 60 seconds before the start of the feeding. The feeding process is done according to this

As you can see in my feeding process I use a stirrer that will be activated 60 seconds before my dosing pump starts either filling or empty my feeding bottle. I did a PL command like this

PL 10.PNG

I only want this to happen when the bottle with food is emptied - the stirrer will be working both during filling and emptying. Therefore - I create a timer like this (the bottle is only emptied during this time. During the rising period early in the morning - the flow need not to be changed.

timer3.PNG

Now - it is time to unit this two demands

pl11.PNG

Time to connect it to the switch that will provide the digital input - in my case switch 25 (Digital Input 1)

switch25.PNG

Time to define what the DI 1 should do - start the maintenance 1

DI.PNG

Task completed. From now - every time when stirrer 13 starts to work - a 45 minutes long maintenance program start to work. The flow of the return pump goes down to a minimum, the skimmer goes down to the minium and one of the streamers starts to work at 100 %. All of this because I want the food be in the DT as long as possible and be mixed well in the DT. The feeding pump empty its food just in the intake of the return pump - therefore i can´t switch it of totally. Two of my three streamers will still give a standing wave,

If I ever construct a chiller for my food bottle - I can in an easy way extend these functions.

Next step is now to incorporate a push button to the DI 1 switch, hence make it possible to manually start the maintenance 1 program when I do my manually feed

Sincerely Lasse maintenance 1.PNG

Back