OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NICad's are horrible! I agree. I just wanted to point out the hydrogen gas as being flammable that someone mentioned earlier. I have seen them explode and spray acid everywhere. Not common but a possibility if there is no air circulation like in a under tank stand. You would need a source of ignition though.
Thanks for providing this info. The more details provided, especially for a less than experienced person like me, keeps everyone safe and stops things from exploding!!

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built mine several years ago. Lived in this house for 12 years with no power failures and just a few months ago we lost power. This one battery and a 1000 watt inverter ran my 75 gallon reef for close to seven hours, I have my setup on a plastic rolling toolbox with the battery inside and is easily portable. Thinking of adding another battery, I paid $90 for this one. $110 for the inverter, $30 for smart charger/maintainer and toolbox maybe $45. Well now I have solar panels and just waiting for Sunrun to possibly install a battery backup system for the whole house.
Very nice!! I know @capted asked about whether you're running heaters can you list what you ran off it. I agree 7 hours is amazing on just one battery!! I'm getting so many great ideas like your rolling toolbox!!

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an older setup for battery back up of Tunze Stream 3000s. It is basically 2 deep cycle marine batteries in series with a NOCO 24v charger maintaining batteries.

Most if not all outages in my area are less than 4 hours and occur a few times a year. This set up would run over a day but other issues would occur requiring a generator.

But this covers most anuthing. I set up an industrial relay as well to stay away from hobby grade switches.
Very nice!! So we're you just running the Tunes from it. That is one thing I have to before I start buying and building, decide what critical equipment I want to run. I have four coldwater tanks so the filters are most important and might be all I need for a short-term outage. Where did you get the industrial relay from? That's a good idea!

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice!! I know @capted asked about whether you're running heaters can you list what you ran off it. I agree 7 hours is amazing on just one battery!! I'm getting so many great ideas like your rolling toolbox!!
Like I said, heater was not needed. Just run wave makers only and maybe the sump pump. Because I only had the one battery was the reason for not running all hardware. But i did turn most everything on to test the inverter and see what total wattage was being used. I forget the numbers, have them written down somewhere. This only lasted a minute or two before battery ran out. But in an emergency you won't need everything running short term, less than a day. Several days and you will need more batteries.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is a link to how I made a battery backup. If you wanted to use bigger batteries you could.
Thanks so much for this!!! I'm collecting these nuggets of gold. Now I'm getting excited to build one of these!

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, heater was not needed. Just run wave makers only and maybe the sump pump. Because I only had the one battery was the reason for not running all hardware. But i did turn most everything on to test the inverter and see what total wattage was being used. I forget the numbers, have them written down somewhere. This only lasted a minute or two before battery ran out. But in an emergency you won't need everything running short term, less than a day. Several days and you will need more batteries.
Thanks!! This gives me a good frame of reference, especially because you tested it with everything. There has been great feedback! Now I'm excited to get this project going. I will be sure to document it.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice!! So we're you just running the Tunes from it. That is one thing I have to before I start buying and building, decide what critical equipment I want to run. I have four coldwater tanks so the filters are most important and might be all I need for a short-term outage. Where did you get the industrial relay from? That's a good idea!
I would recommend Tunze 6105 or Tunze Stream 3000s. Ideally I could add one more. I ditched the hobby grade power supplies too but that is getting into being electrician.

I never seen anything completely fail on Tunzes other than power supplies.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend Tunze 6105 or Tunze Stream 3000s. Ideally I could add one more. I ditched the hobby grade power supplies too but that is getting into being electrician.

I never seen anything completely fail on Tunzes other than power supplies.
Thank you! This information is most helpful. I'm fairly new to saltwater so I'm still developing my tank requirements. I have a brackish setup so I have most of the equipment for managing salt just not everything that is desirable for a reef setup. :) Then I I get sidetracked with projects like this. Haha.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! This information is most helpful. I'm fairly new to saltwater so I'm still developing my tank requirements. I have a brackish setup so I have most of the equipment for managing salt just not everything that is desirable for a reef setup. :) Then I I get sidetracked with projects like this. Haha.
Good luck with your project. If you need help or ideas you know we are here to help you. One thing I would like to mention, when connecting battery maintainer cut the alligator clamps off and use eyelets to hard wire to battery instead, no chance of popping off terminal.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go back to what Julian Sprung did in late 90's, nothing improved dramatically. I try to make things simplier and commercial grade. The improvements are in test kits, salt quality, but definately not lighting.

Unfortunately I turned down a job at a local aquarium because of pay. They needed help. :D

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your project. If you need help or ideas you know we are here to help you. One thing I would like to mention, when connecting battery maintainer cut the alligator clamps off and use eyelets to hard wire to battery instead, no chance of popping off terminal.
Very good point about the alligator clips. I've had that happen with some of my prototype electronics projects. Haha. Excellent tip about the eyelets! Thanks.

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go back to what Julian Sprung did in late 90's, nothing improved dramatically. I try to make things simplier and commercial grade. The improvements are in test kits, salt quality, but definately not lighting.

Unfortunately I turned down a job at a local aquarium because of pay. They needed help. :D
Hey you're showing our age. I still have his books. LOL!!!!

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are the first person to ever tell me that. I do cross fit with 30 year olds :)

I want to research any tank build he might have out there!

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are the first person to ever tell me that. I do cross fit with 30 year olds :)

I want to research any tank build he might have out there!
Ha!! Good for you. My crossfit consists of me lugging 30 gallons of water up a flight of stairs for my weekly water changes! I did see a video somewhere on one of his tanks and how he wasn't using a skimmer. Maybe google it.

Russell G

Meh...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this post a while ago and this is the way I went but it’s geared towards the Ecotech pumps. Not sure if this is what you’re looking for. This setup will give me enough time to cover most of the common outages I get here in SoCal.
If it’s really cold, it will give me plenty of time to fire up the generator to get the heaters running if need be before the water gets too cold.

By not converting from the 12v DC to 120v AC and back to the DC saves a ton of battery capacity so a decent deep cycle battery will last a really long time. This system could easily run my L2 and a couple MP40’s for quite a while to keep the flow going.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this post a while ago and this is the way I went but it’s geared towards the Ecotech pumps. Not sure if this is what you’re looking for. This setup will give me enough time to cover most of the common outages I get here in SoCal.
If it’s really cold, it will give me plenty of time to fire up the generator to get the heaters running if need be before the water gets too cold.

By not converting from the 12v DC to 120v AC and back to the DC saves a ton of battery capacity so a decent deep cycle battery will last a really long time. This system could easily run my L2 and a couple MP40’s for quite a while to keep the flow going.

Thank you so much!! This is excellent. I agree with your thoughts on conversion and how that can waste battery capacity!! I'm in the process of building out my list of supplies so am reading each of these in detail to make sure I have covered everything and also that I have full understanding of the build process.

I had an old computer backup power supply on standby just in case there were power outages. So far the outages we've had didn't last long so I haven't had to use it. I thought I better power it up to make sure it worked. Thank goodness I did because it was toast which is what inspired me to take on this little project. :)

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On your Battery Post, Eyelets and Threaded Nuts, slather them with the Dielectric Grease. It’s available at Auto Parts Stores. They usually have tiny packets of it near the register, as Spark Plug grease. Just don’t touch your eyes, with it on your hands.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On your Battery Post, Eyelets and Threaded Nuts, slather them with the Dielectric Grease. It’s available at Auto Parts Stores. They usually have tiny packets of it near the register, as Spark Plug grease. Just don’t touch your eyes, with it on your hands.
Great tip! I'm assuming this helps with corrosion and sealing the connection like with spark plugs?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tip! I'm assuming this helps with corrosion and sealing the connection like with spark plugs?
Yes. Prevents corrosion on battery terminals and for spark plugs to keep the boot from sticking to the plug making for easy removal and seal it from water. I use it in all connectors to keep them water tight. Is also used to keep rubber seals like for car doors from drying out. Lots of uses for this stuff. For large things like car door seals I would recommend using detailing rubber/plastic conditioner instead of the grease.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Prevents corrosion on battery terminals and for spark plugs to keep the boot from sticking to the plug making for easy removal and seal it from water. I use it in all connectors to keep them water tight. Is also used to keep rubber seals like for car doors from drying out. Lots of uses for this stuff. For large things like car door seals I would recommend using detailing rubber/plastic conditioner instead of the grease.
Thank you! Each day on R2R is a learning opportunity.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back