Using Poseidon Ozone generator 100mg in Tunze 9012 DC Skimmer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Bill Saucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Roger. The manual briefly discusses the input of ozone, but I'm still foggy on how to implement this on the 9012 DC. As my tank is only about 70 gallons, I wanted to downsize the ozonizer, hence 100mg.

I will probably not be running the generator all the time, as the tank volume is so small. So when the ozone is turned off, how will the skimmer get air? Can you help clarify this matter?

https://www.aquariumspecialty.com/ozotech-poseidon-100-ozone-generator.html

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most skimmers that are ozone capable have 2 air ports on them. (Top and bottom).

I’m absence of a second port you can run the air tube in front of the skimmer water intake. It will pull the ozone in and mix it.

Also you will need to figure out post carbon on the skimmer water return.

OP
OP
B

Bill Saucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most skimmers that are ozone capable have 2 air ports on them. (Top and bottom).

I’m absence of a second port you can run the air tube in front of the skimmer water intake. It will pull the ozone in and mix it.

Also you will need to figure out post carbon on the skimmer water return.
Thanks Jaz Z. I don't have the skimmer in front of me, so I can't verify anything. However, the output should be at the bottom (it hangs inside the "sump" partition).

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how I have ozone connected to mine. I have a large air pump outdoors to deliver fresh air to the skimmer. This goes through an ozone generator which is on a timer, mine is a DIY unit 100mg/hr. At the silencer on the skimmer is a T, one is open, the other has the air pump/ozone. The air pump is a large Wisa it does 350 l/hr, the skimmer needs more than that so the T lets it take in whatever surplus it needs. The main issue is free ozone escaping the skimmer, if I run it just 15-30 minutes, no problem, but longer, their is a pronounced ozone smell and it can build up enough to give you a headache, carbon in a bag over the vents in the lid would be the way this is usually dealt with. You will need an air pump, it doesn't have to be large, but the venturi doesn't have enough pull to not seriously impede the air production.

OP
OP
B

Bill Saucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how I have ozone connected to mine. I have a large air pump outdoors to deliver fresh air to the skimmer. This goes through an ozone generator which is on a timer, mine is a DIY unit 100mg/hr. At the silencer on the skimmer is a T, one is open, the other has the air pump/ozone. The air pump is a large Wisa it does 350 l/hr, the skimmer needs more than that so the T lets it take in whatever surplus it needs. The main issue is free ozone escaping the skimmer, if I run it just 15-30 minutes, no problem, but longer, their is a pronounced ozone smell and it can build up enough to give you a headache, carbon in a bag over the vents in the lid would be the way this is usually dealt with. You will need an air pump, it doesn't have to be large, but the venturi doesn't have enough pull to not seriously impede the air production.
Thank you very much!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back