Using raspberry pi for controler?

Clownshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have seen alot of metions about using raspberry pi for an aqaurium controler and it really interested me. Can some one help me inderstand what I need and how the whole thing works or point me towards a source. #reefpi

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you want to use it for? I got a pi zero the other week and have just started out. It's all really well documented.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature, ATO, dosing, power, lights, water chemistry probes, alerts, it's pretty comprehensive.
Good fun setting stuff up as well. Some Linux experience is useful but not essential, as it really is well documented and you can get help here.

OP
OP
Clownshow

Clownshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature, ATO, dosing, power, lights, water chemistry probes, alerts, it's pretty comprehensive.
Good fun setting stuff up as well. Some Linux experience is useful but not essential, as it really is well documented and you can get help here.
The videos not working for me.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might just take a minute to load, it is working on here. It's just demonstrating where I have got with it. Controlling a TPLink power strip from my phone using the reef-pi web UI.

OP
OP
Clownshow

Clownshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O
It might just take a minute to load, it is working on here. It's just demonstrating where I have got with it. Controlling a TPLink power strip from my phone using the reef-pi web UI.
Oh okay. I am kind of confused what I need to purchase. I just want to start out with one thing at a time like controling lights.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing you'll need is a raspberry pi with a microSD card. 16GB is plenty.
Try to get one with all the cables for power, HDMI and USB, if not I can advise what you need.
I went with a pi zero w...
20210207_204902.jpg

It came with the cables, heatsink and a little cover for it.
It has built in wifi and bluetooth connectivity and works perfectly for running reef-pi off the 16GiB card.
I used a TPLink Kasa power strip. The reef-pi software is compatible with the HS300 and KP303.

OP
OP
Clownshow

Clownshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to get one with all the cables for power, HDMI and USB, if not I can advise what you need.
20210207_204902.jpg

It has built in wifi and bluetooth connectivity and works perfectly for running reef-pi off the 16GiB card.
I used a TPLink Kasa power strip. The reef-pi software is compatible with the HS300 and KP303.

20210207_204902.jpg

Ok. Does the power strip plug into the raspbery pi or does it have to be pluged into an outlet?

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent, so if you get yourself those bits of kit ordered, while you wait, you can download and install the raspberry pi imager software on your computer.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-imager-imaging-utility/

Once your microSD card arrives, you need to connect it to your computer and follow the instructions from the imager.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back