Using RO water (not RO/DI) to rinse testing vials, etc.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you rinse them with tap and let them dry in some places you will get mineralization that makes a white film inside. The same effect seen on some used tanks around the top.
So I use tap and occasionally clean them with vinegar.
I used to rinse my Hana cuvettes with RODI then rinse with tank water before use. Then I threw them all out because they were never as accurate as the titration type tests, but I guess that's another thread.
Okay, that makes sense so I'm going to change my ways lol's. At least tap to rinse and tank or ro to store! I was just soaking in vinegar when the glass got cloudy!

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using Hanna then yes I would recommend rodi for cleaning and storage but for Salifert etc it’s not so important.

Depending how ocd you want to go, just for vial cleaning I don’t think it would be worth putting in a RO tap, a container of rodi by the sink for rinsing is my method, but if you have the space etc putting a tap in is a nice have rather than a must.
Yeah, using Hanna for several. My current method is a container of rodi by the sink. I'm mostly okay with that. My wife helps me with testing quite a bit and she asked about adding the ro under the sink every time she rinses the vials :)

rmcrom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use tap water for rinsing but I keep some RODI in a small container to fill my cuvettes before storing.

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI for rinse and store (filled) cuvettes here
...but only 'cause I read it as good practice on R2R
...and with all the other question marks related to testing (Hanna reagent consistency), just one less thing to think about.
Kind of how I feel. I have never filled and stored with rodi although I've read that's good practice. Might consider doing that.

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used tap water to rinse everything but my refractor. That is cleaned with RODI water . Not sure if it helps, just a habit I got into
Funny some of the habits we develop just because. I've got many of them.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My wife has been trying to get me to install a RO system on the kitchen sink. We have a squirt bottle that we keep at the sink filled with RO/DI water to rinse our testing equipment. She thinks having a RO installed with it's own faucet would be much more convenient. I agree but I don't think it would be the same as using the RO/DI I use for the tank.

So, questions?

Has anyone else done this? Would using just RO water instead be as good as using RO/DI water?

I always flush my RO/DI system when I turn it on before filling my water barrel. How does that work with an "always on" system that would be attached to a kitchen sink with it's own faucet? Do you still have to turn those on and purge them before using?

Am I overthinking this whole thing? :)
There is no reason IMHO - to rinse with RO or RO/DI water. I rinse my vials with tap water. When I do a test - I rinse them multiple times with tank water - which totally takes care of this issue.

I think you are overthinking the potential problems? There SHOULD be no reason to 'flush' your RODI system before filling your barrel.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use tap water for rinsing but I keep some RODI in a small container to fill my cuvettes before storing.
I do not think it's recommended or desirable to keep cuvettes wet during storage. Maybe there is a reference somewhere - but - I think that will cause far more potential error than just rinsing with Tap water and letting them dry

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think it's recommended or desirable to keep cuvettes wet during storage. Maybe there is a reference somewhere - but - I think that will cause far more potential error than just rinsing with Tap water and letting them dry
Think the storage was in reference to the Hanna vials, which are glass with some type of ceramic lid, no issues at all.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Think the storage was in reference to the Hanna vials, which are glass with some type of ceramic lid, no issues at all.
Correct - either way - I'm not sure there is any benefit - and potential problems storing them with RO.DI. For example - My RoDI container - with 0 TDS - has to be cleaned - due to 'stuff' growing on the walls of the tank. If the company does not recommend storing them wet - I would personally not do it.

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no reason IMHO - to rinse with RO or RO/DI water. I rinse my vials with tap water. When I do a test - I rinse them multiple times with tank water - which totally takes care of this issue.

I think you are overthinking the potential problems? There SHOULD be no reason to 'flush' your RODI system before filling your barrel.
Thanks for the reply!

rmcrom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's to prevent buildup of minerals on the glass causing a crusty foggy residue.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's to prevent buildup of minerals on the glass causing a crusty foggy residue.
Right - but if you think the inside of a wet vial is 'sterile' or 'clean' - I think you're mistaken. Rinse with tap water - and when you do a new test - rinse multiple times with tank water. That solves the problem - again IMHO.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right - but if you think the inside of a wet vial is 'sterile' or 'clean' - I think you're mistaken. Rinse with tap water - and when you do a new test - rinse multiple times with tank water. That solves the problem - again IMHO.
Rinsing with tank water wouldn’t remove lime scale etc from the inside of a glass vial.

I store my vials in rodi and they look as new as the day I bought them, even Hanna recommend changing the vials every 6 months I believe it is, because they start to cloud over.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rinsing with tank water wouldn’t remove lime scale etc from the inside of a glass vial.

I store my vials in rodi and they look as new as the day I bought them, even Hanna recommend changing the vials every 6 months I believe it is, because they start to cloud over.
I rinse mine with tap water and they also look 'new'. BUT - I don't tend to test often, etc. To each his own.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My wife has been trying to get me to install a RO system on the kitchen sink. We have a squirt bottle that we keep at the sink filled with RO/DI water to rinse our testing equipment. She thinks having a RO installed with it's own faucet would be much more convenient. I agree but I don't think it would be the same as using the RO/DI I use for the tank.

So, questions?

Has anyone else done this? Would using just RO water instead be as good as using RO/DI water?

I always flush my RO/DI system when I turn it on before filling my water barrel. How does that work with an "always on" system that would be attached to a kitchen sink with it's own faucet? Do you still have to turn those on and purge them before using?

Am I overthinking this whole thing? :)
I used an attach to faucet unit for a couple of years but switched to wall mounted which is convenient, easier to monitor color changes in fiilters and has steady water pressure at the source.
I rinse my vials with tap water but RO water is more than acceptable

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back