Using toothpaste to remove scratches

meloles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on using toothpaste to remove scratches from an empty tank to be eventually set up? I've seen many DIY videos of people rubbing out scratches with toothpaste, but I would hate to do this and leave a film that would be toxic to fish or corals. Any input would be lovely.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on the tank (acrylic? glass?). Most of the tank scratch removals I know of require buffing the scratch out. Toothpaste, to some degree, also does this, but it comes with a bunch of ingredients that you still shouldn't swallow. Granted, you still shouldn't swallow buffing solution, but there are known ways of removing it and any excess.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually toothpaste is comprised of materials that are all quite safe for humans to swallow, and doing so helps keep flouride in the mouth longer to penetrate the dentene better. Spitting, not rinsing and ingesting the rest is the recommended approach. That’s not to say I personally do that always, but it’s not because I am concerned about ingesting it.

Some folk have issues with some of the compounds (e.g. flouride) which I don’t agree with, but hey, each to their own.

Whether or not all of these compounds are good for the reef tank is another question. As long as you clean the glass or acrylic well after buffing with toothpaste, I can’t see why you would have a problem. I would think a good water wash, light acid wash followed by another water rinse is more than sufficient.

OP
OP
meloles

meloles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually toothpaste is comprised of materials that are all quite safe for humans to swallow, and doing so helps keep flouride in the mouth longer to penetrate the dentene better. Spitting, not rinsing and ingesting the rest is the recommended approach. That’s not to say I personally do that always, but it’s not because I am concerned about ingesting it.

Some folk have issues with some of the compounds (e.g. flouride) which I don’t agree with, but hey, each to their own.

Whether or not all of these compounds are good for the reef tank is another question. As long as you clean the glass or acrylic well after buffing with toothpaste, I can’t see why you would have a problem. I would think a good water wash, light acid wash followed by another water rinse is more than sufficient.
LOL...I'm pretty sure you're the dentist in finding Nemo! What you says makes sense. I'm planning on documenting my build, so I'll keep you posted on the findings.

OP
OP
meloles

meloles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just use a actual grinding compound (cerium oxide)?
I have been using cerium oxide, but to me toothpaste makes more sense because it seems it would reduce the appearance of the scratches rather than eliminate them...which is what I'm going for. I'm dealing with some pretty deep scratches here, and I don't feel like buffing for an eternity. Plus, toothpaste is cheaper. I can get a tube from the dollar store...for a dollar.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using cerium oxide, but to me toothpaste makes more sense because it seems it would reduce the appearance of the scratches rather than eliminate them...which is what I'm going for. I'm dealing with some pretty deep scratches here, and I don't feel like buffing for an eternity. Plus, toothpaste is cheaper. I can get a tube from the dollar store...for a dollar.
That doesn’t even make sense....
what makes you think toothpaste will reduce their visibility?
the only way to get rid of scratches in glass is to polish it away. Toothpaste won’t do that.

OP
OP
meloles

meloles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn’t even make sense....
what makes you think toothpaste will reduce their visibility?
the only way to get rid of scratches in glass is to polish it away. Toothpaste won’t do that.
Thank you for your feedback. Toothpaste has a fine grit (the white stuff, not the gel) and is actually designed to polish. There is toothpaste for sensitive teeth that actually fills in pockets in teeth with microscopic minerals. There is toothpaste to increase enamel repair. There is toothpaste that whitens, which decreases the appearance of any stains on teeth. If a scratch has years of grime within it, it would become cleaner, which would reduce the appearance. This was my line of reasoning...not that it was correct by any means.

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cerium oxide will blend the edges of larger scratches and make them less harsh but not remove. It may remove some very light scratches. I have had the most success with a 2 step process of baking soda and then cerium oxide. That’s as far as I dared to take down the scratches on my current 210 build and I’m fairly happy with it. Bought a used tank that just appeared to have mineral build up from use as a cichlid tank, and it ended up having some decent scratches and bad inner(safety seals). Use bar keepers friend for mineral build up, vinegar or clr alternating if that doesn’t work. Either way make sure you rinse thoroughly before you use the tank for critters. Good luck

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your feedback. Toothpaste has a fine grit (the white stuff, not the gel) and is actually designed to polish. There is toothpaste for sensitive teeth that actually fills in pockets in teeth with microscopic minerals. There is toothpaste to increase enamel repair. There is toothpaste that whitens, which decreases the appearance of any stains on teeth. If a scratch has years of grime within it, it would become cleaner, which would reduce the appearance. This was my line of reasoning...not that it was correct by any means.
If you wanna clean out the dirt inside scratches, a magic eraser works wonders.
my old biocube is terribly scratched after being in use over a decade, so the magic eraser is a weekly thing on there.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cerium oxide will blend the edges of larger scratches and make them less harsh but not remove. It may remove some very light scratches. I have had the most success with a 2 step process of baking soda and then cerium oxide. That’s as far as I dared to take down the scratches on my current 210 build and I’m fairly happy with it. Bought a used tank that just appeared to have mineral build up from use as a cichlid tank, and it ended up having some decent scratches and bad inner(safety seals). Use bar keepers friend for mineral build up, vinegar or clr alternating if that doesn’t work. Either way make sure you rinse thoroughly before you use the tank for critters. Good luck
Cerium oxide is the final polish for glass. Trying to polish a deep scratch alone with just cerium won’t work very well. You’re better off starting with a tougher grit and to even the plane out first and then polish clear.
Usually what I do when grinding glass at work is a 5-step or more work down of grits Starting at 100 or 220 and working up to 1200 before a final polish with cerium.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing for acrylic tanks is actual acrylic scratch remover.
Get a kit from an auto store, use the polish and just wipe clean with a micro fiber cloth.
It will be fine for the fish once it is dry

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing for acrylic tanks is actual acrylic scratch remover.
Get a kit from an auto store, use the polish and just wipe clean with a micro fiber cloth.
It will be fine for the fish once it is dry
It's a glass tank.

OP
OP
meloles

meloles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanna clean out the dirt inside scratches, a magic eraser works wonders.
my old biocube is terribly scratched after being in use over a decade, so the magic eraser is a weekly thing on there.
Brilliant! Thanks for the tip!!!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on using toothpaste to remove scratches from an empty tank to be eventually set up? I've seen many DIY videos of people rubbing out scratches with toothpaste, but I would hate to do this and leave a film that would be toxic to fish or corals. Any input would be lovely.
9 out of 10 would recommend.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back