Using Vibrant in ULNS

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a turf algae issue that is (slowly but surely) spreading through the tank. Its a 54 gal. tank with 10 gal sump and 1 gal refugium (DIY).

I tried manual removal for a month during weekly cleanups, but failed. They are tough to plug out of rocks. I have turbo snails and an emerald crab, but they are not enough or not interested.

My problem is: I have had undetectable levels of Nitrates and PO4 for months now (using the Red Sea Pro test). Since I have algae and my LPS and SPS are doing fine, I most likely have trace amounts of both. However, the algae has become a nuisance for some corals, so I decided to act.

I started a first dose of Vibrant. I though I had read the threads carefully for any problem that might arise... except for one in another forum that stated that Vibrant is not ideal in ULNS. It requires nitrates to grow, so it will outcompete both algae and corals for it. In this particular reported case, it shot out the PO4 levels abruptly, while nitrates stayed undetectable, causing all kinds of problems to that hobbyist. I will keep an eye on my levels and report here.

So my question is: should I dose nitrates ? Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Thanks!

FelipeCarv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a turf algae issue that is (slowly but surely) spreading through the tank. Its a 54 gal. tank with 10 gal sump and 1 gal refugium (DIY).

I tried manual removal for a month during weekly cleanups, but failed. They are tough to plug out of rocks. I have turbo snails and an emerald crab, but they are not enough or not interested.

My problem is: I have had undetectable levels of Nitrates and PO4 for months now (using the Red Sea Pro test). Since I have algae and my LPS and SPS are doing fine, I most likely have trace amounts of both. However, the algae has become a nuisance for some corals, so I decided to act.

I started a first dose of Vibrant. I though I had read the threads carefully for any problem that might arise... except for one in another forum that stated that Vibrant is not ideal in ULNS. It requires nitrates to grow, so it will outcompete both algae and corals for it. In this particular reported case, it shot out the PO4 levels abruptly, while nitrates stayed undetectable, causing all kinds of problems to that hobbyist. I will keep an eye on my levels and report here.

So my question is: should I dose nitrates ? Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Thanks!

Hi there,

I'm in the same situation. I have an 80gal ULNS. I've started dosing reef energy daily and I'm gonna try flourish nitrogen as well. I was reading about Redfield ratio and I'm gonna give a try to raise my nitrates to 2ppm.

I have GHA/Derbesia mainly in the back glass and they are spreading. Some of my acropora lost color and are pale. Therefore, its probably the lack of nitrates.

The GHA worries me but I'm more concerned with my SPS. I dosed algaefix once and its effective but killed my chaeto, and brought some problems like cyano and later Dino.

OP
OP
Fernthereefer

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

It is indeed a slipery slope. If I start dosing nitrogen, then maybe PO4 might become the limiting factor. Difficult to establish a nice balance in the tank for the long term.

I will keep monitoring and looking at the corals. If I do see any change (for the worst) I will start dosing.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Fernthereefer

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 week update.

So I started dosing Vibrant 2 weeks ago. I was monitoring nitrates and PO4, but did start dosing 0.6ppm Nitrates/daily and 0.06ppm PO4/daily (automatic doser).
Did not observe any adverse effect on nutrient increase (they are at 0 Nitrates, 0.02ppm PO4), something that was mentionned in the main Virbant post.

So far I have seen a significant reduction in turf algae (turning brown), but not bubble algae (will continue removing it manually).

No adverse effect (obvious to the eye) on corals. Growth remains steady for SPS.

However, I have a small relapse in Dinos, so I started the UV sterilizer again. Must be the danger of running Vibrant on ULNS...

OP
OP
Fernthereefer

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on Vibrant, mid-week 4

So I am currently in week 4. The turf algae has all but disappeared, being overun now with some Dino. The UV light is on 24/7, but so far all it does is contain it from spreading all over.

Nitrates have stayed undetectable using the Red Sea Pro kit. But I detect 0.01ppm of PO4. Started dosing NeoNitro to reach 1 ppm of Nitrates, but the consumption seems to bring it down to 0 during the day.

3 individual ricordea yumas have suffered from what I believe being starved of Nitrates. I do feed reef roids twice a week now, but so far they have not recuperated. Another coral that is struggling is a green sacrophyton.

Zoas, acros, clover polyps, candy canes and acans are doing reasonably well.

Current parameters

Sal. 1.025
pH 8.2 (probe)
Temp. 81F
Calcium 470 ppm (too high for my liking, cut the dosing to 1 daily vs 4)
Alk 6.7 (was calculated to 7.5 with dosing but evidently will have to adjust)
PO4: 0.01 ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm

Will keep posting.

OP
OP
Fernthereefer

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update.

My Dino problem reached an all time high in the past week.

Lost 80% of my Ricordea Yuma collection (For some reason all the ones that have red in them?). Very bummed out about it. Interestingly, since dosing Nitrates the zoas and acros have never been in better shape. Even the cleaner shrimp molted yesterday (good sign?)

I continue dosing low amounts of Nitrates and Phosphates and yesterday I finally reached 0.50 ppm Nitrates and 0.02 ppm PO4. Also, I found that all my snails disappeared two days ago, but one turbo reappeared yesterday. I also added a fresh bag of carbon granules in the sump. (UV is on since 4 days ago)

The good news: I did observe a reduction in Dinos today.

So I will keep on fighting. I am not blaming Vibrant, as it was a calculated risk to start with it in a ULNS. Hope some will take note.

I am actually wondering if it would it be better to "prepare" your system prior to using Vibrant by pre-dosing Nitrates and PO4 in slow amounts?

Anyway. Like the pros often say: don't panic, do 1 step at a time.... ;)

OP
OP
Fernthereefer

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this will be my last post here.

The Dinos have taken over, so I stopped dosing Virbant last week and did not dose this week.

I will battle this one out in my build threat. But for this thread I will end it here.

Thanks for following.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back