Using Xenia in Refugium as nutrient export

CoralManz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a 20L full of it with 8 fish had zero nutrient issues, at one point I was feeding the tank twice a day and dosing KNO3.

Mdw2589

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've Been running a half full Xenia fuge in a 55g sump connected to my 60 cube. I've never had to run a skimmer and don't ever have an issue with algae or Coral (sps) growth. Meaning no algae and great Coral growth. I tried using macro algae but it seems the Xenia out compete and do just fine keeping levels low by them selves.

OP
OP
Broadwave

Broadwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess that settles it, I'm going to move forward with letting the Xenia in my refugium just simply take over. Oh and I even bought the Borneman book as well to keep around for reference.

Thanks everyone for your input.

mstockmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad I can't grow Xenia...they always die on me. I Never been able to grow them.:cool:
I said that at first. Then...
c3b879001fd8b36db9b02dd7df0ebc5d.jpg
5bd2580c92d994b4c766a63a65ded00c.jpg

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is more information around my current set up and why I've been looking into a Xenia dominant refugium.

My current system is 190 Gallon display, with a berlin style sump. The external refugium (57 gallons) is fed via manifold from my main return pump. The fuge, empties back in the filter sock section of the sump. Yes, I am aware of the fauna that could be fed to my system to feed the fish, etc.... but I had set it up that way on purpose. Mainly as I didnt want to clean my sump every other week. I also run a 4' Lifereef skimmer which really pulls the gunk out of my system. Lastly, I use ROX carbon changed monthly and Phosguard for phosphate removal. FWIW, I despise GFO with a passion, but that is topic of discussion for another day :)

When I had initially set up the refugium, I used Miracle Mud for the substrate, seeded with the refugium kit from Indo Pacific Sea Farms, and even went so far as to get the best lights I could and went with (2) Kessil H380's. For some reason I can not grow macro algae to save my life. The only Macro Algae that will grow is small sea grass, which I am ok with. However, the Red Sea Xenia I placed in there just keep growing and growing. So a couple weeks ago I started investigating if having a Xenia only refugium would be as efficient at removing Nitrate and Phosphate as Chaetomorpha? I believe that Xenia does indeed eat up the Nitrates as no matter how much I feed and I do feed quite a bit, my Nitrates are always at Zero. Phosphates on the other hand are just over .03ppm @ 12ppb. So I may need to start dosing Potassium Nitrate to help bring down the Phosphate. Again, patience and as Tony V said tuning it correctly. The main reason I asked the original question is that I didnt think I was the first person to embark on this type of fuge and that there had to be others that have already been and are down this road.

The current photo period is reverse of the display tank and runs from 9PM to 9AM. I haven't seen much variation in my pH and it stays fairly steady between 8.10 and 8.22.

As for additives, etc.... I use a dosing pump to add BRS 2 Part to keep dKH (8.4) and Ca (433). I also dose twice a day Zeovit Phols Extra and AALPS, which could be my my Xenia grows as fast as it does. Additionally, I feed daily one cube of American Reef HPD and one sheet of Nori every other day. This keeps my fish super fat and also helps to feed the corals.

I just want to confirm that you are seeing good Xenia growth with you h380. I have a h80 over my small fuge and just added some Xenia that friend gave me but I wasn't sure if the spectrum would work. What color setting are you using (I have mine set to growth)

Thanks Len

OP
OP
Broadwave

Broadwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to confirm that you are seeing good Xenia growth with you h380. I have a h80 over my small fuge and just added some Xenia that friend gave me but I wasn't sure if the spectrum would work. What color setting are you using (I have mine set to growth)

Thanks Len
Hi Len, I have mine H380 set to Growth mode as well. The Xenia is growing really fast, but I also have feather and grape caulerpa as well as small sea grass growing as well which seems to be growing much faster than the Xenia. I'll post a picture of my fuge later this evening.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Len, I have mine H380 set to Growth mode as well. The Xenia is growing really fast, but I also have feather and grape caulerpa as well as small sea grass growing as well which seems to be growing much faster than the Xenia. I'll post a picture of my fuge later this evening.

Thanks I have a big ball of cheato in my fuge as well. A friend tore down his 120g display and 40g fuge due to a late notice move (display was full of huge acropora and fuge was full of Xenia). He gave me 2 coolers full of frags including a bunch of Xenia. Everything that has Xenia growing on it went into the fuge since I don't want it in the main display. I just wanted to make sure the overly red spectrum would work. It's a display fuge so my Fiancé is a big fan of the Xenia along with some mushrooms and zoas that are mixed in with it.

Snuggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, battling nitrates...alas I feed heavy, are Xenia effective? Cheato survives in my fuge but doesn’t explode with growth. I have a small rock in my QT with Xenia....maybe I shall move it

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to put some pulsing Xenia in my fuge. It can’t hurt. Anyone have a favorite pulsing Xenia they want to recommend? Tidal gardens has some for sale. Should I look anywhere else?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a friend that uses gsp and Xenia. The display tank is amazing.

Buddah001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really interested in this. Just starting a new fuge for my 135g display. Do you think lighting is important for the Xenia or would a standard led red grow light work

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting is important. Especially if you are trying to establish your Xenia fuge. The light doesn't need to be expensive, but it does need to be intense and in the correct spectrum. I went from using s single 150w mh pendant, to a single 16" Value SB Reef fixture. The growth I get is comparable the MH, but at half the wattage.

Snuggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an improvised fuge in my Reefer 170. Started with a speck of Xenia on a rock
I have fragged it six times in three months. Still have 28 heads. Only bought this light because my Lfs was having a clearance. I spent 20 dollars.
AUQA GADGET CHAETOMAX 2-N-1 REFUGIUM Led

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 100 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back