UV damage in sump

jiggysmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed a UV light directly in my eshopps sump for a week. The eshopps site says they are UV resistant and I read acrylic has a 3% degradation to UV over a decade of sun exposure, so I thought it would be ok. Today I noticed hundreds of small cracks in the acrylic that must be from the UV light because there is no damage in the circular area which was where the suction cup was for the UV light. Is this just cosmetic or has the acrylic become brittle?

gNQRygI.jpg

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed a UV light directly in my eshopps sump for a week. The eshopps site says they are UV resistant and I read acrylic has a 3% degradation to UV over a decade of sun exposure, so I thought it would be ok. Today I noticed hundreds of small cracks in the acrylic that must be from the UV light because there is no damage in the circular area which was where the suction cup was for the UV light. Is this just cosmetic or has the acrylic become brittle?

gNQRygI.jpg

What do you mean when you say you put a UV light direct in the sump?
Do you have a link to the light you used?

OP
OP
J

jiggysmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the uv lights we use are incapsulated so you cant see the light. uv light can cause damage to alot of things including your eyes.
The uv light is sold for reef tanks. It has suction cups and shows in the instructions to attach it to a side in your sump.

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The uv light is sold for reef tanks. It has suction cups and shows in the instructions to attach it to a side in your sump.
YEP, there's several direct from China on amazon with no shell to protect the user....they are dangerous when used in the open like that.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah, yeah, that's not safe. Think of it like those little gallon tanks sold for bettas- you can use it that way, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The damage to the acrylic looks similar to what can happen if you over heat acrylic trying to buff out a scratch or pushing a dull drill or saw when making a cut /hole.
I have a skimmer that is crazed like that. The skimmer body is much thinner material (I would presume) but it has held water for many years inspite of the crazing damage and looking uglier than sin. I think it crazed from using vinegar to clean it? The microcracks will spread with time across the entire sump. IF it bothers you now, I would replace it, but again I think it will hold water fine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.1%
Back