UV plumbing help

nybern

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi looking to get a UV and put a pump in my sump to the UV and back to the tank separately from my return pump. How are you guys doing this? I have a waterbox 180.5 if this helps.

wlmalek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put the UV pump at the last chamber before the return section and put the return hose from UV in the return side.
Or you can put it at the same section with return pump and plumb the return from the UV to the display. (which can act as a back up return if the main one failed or at service)

I was between these two and went with the first option.

OP
OP
N

nybern

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can put the UV pump at the last chamber before the return section and put the return hose from UV in the return side.
Or you can put it at the same section with return pump and plumb the return from the UV to the display. (which can act as a back up return if the main one failed or at service)

I was between these two and went with the first option.
I think back to the display would be better. Just not sure how. Do I get a hose with check valve and at the tank get something hanging over the edge like from a canister filter ?

wlmalek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think back to the display would be better. Just not sure how. Do I get a hose with check valve and at the tank get something hanging over the edge like from a canister filter ?
It would be better to hard plumb it if you want to go this route(not necessary). You can use black pipes and elbows for aesthetic With flare or jet nozzles from locline. Or rfg from VCA and use it as another source of flow.

You can use check valve but No need for check valve if you are not going deeper or further than the main return nozzles. your sump can handle the backfill without overflowing.

CJWilliams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and I’m also looking at plumbing my UV in.

I’m planning to use the same model pump as my return pump (COR20) that way it’s a backup. Going to run both in the return section of the sump and face them the opposite direction in an effort to direct flow from out of the UV into the return pump so I’m not circulating the same water through the UV.

OP
OP
N

nybern

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the same tank and I’m also looking at plumbing my UV in.

I’m planning to use the same model pump as my return pump (COR20) that way it’s a backup. Going to run both in the return section of the sump and face them the opposite direction in an effort to direct flow from out of the UV into the return pump so I’m not circulating the same water through the UV.
I was thinking of also doing this but putting in a divider between the pump. Like making another section in the return pump part.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back