UV pump question

  • Thread starter Thread starter 11f150
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 22, 2012
Messages
2,431
Reaction score
771
Location
Nashville, TN
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have read many different suggestions on how many GPH a UV should have going through it so I figured I would make a post about my tank to get the right answer. I have around 350-375 gallons total and I am wanting to use my UV for algae. I have a pentair 80w UV. What I have read is, I need around 1600 gph going through the UV. Does this sound correct? Another concern I have is what size pvc pipe should I use for that amount of flow?
 
I have a AquaUV 57-watt and it's rated for parasites @1,066Gph (90,000 µw/cm2), so based on your larger UV size I imagine 1,600Gph is probably for parasites.

For just algae, I need to run 2,133-3,200Gph through my UV - so I imagine your 80-watt UV would probably need 50% more volume than that. You probably want a PVC width of 1.25"-1.5", but get someone to confirm this.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new