Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just run it 24/7 there’s no reason not to

There isn't?

I personally would not use one at all because I do not want it killing the bacteria that I spend efforts to get into the water column to feed filter feeders (e.g., organic carbon dosing).

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't?

I personally would not use one at all because I do not want it killing the bacteria that I spend efforts to get into the water column to feed filter feeders (e.g., organic carbon dosing).
Well that’s fine, most of my beneficial bacteria are in the rockwork

Its all personal preference, run a UVC or don’t, I run one in both my systems 24/7, maybe it works, or maybe I’m missing something.....
CA668ACC-5D09-4E47-A1E8-A7C6871449FE.jpeg
DEC11EF6-0DDC-4EFD-A755-0954CC851FB2.jpeg
88E2B54B-8F31-421F-B956-A3E72078C337.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s fine, most of my beneficial bacteria are in the rockwork

Its all personal preference, run a UVC or don’t, I run one in both my systems 24/7, maybe it works, or maybe I’m missing

Your tank certainly is very nice, but my aim with the water-borne bacteria is to support filter feeders, such as sponges. Bacteria on the rock surfaces aren't useful in that context, unless and until they break loose and are in the water.

When I started organic carbon dosing (vinegar), there was a clear increase in growth and number of sponges in my tank.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank certainly is very nice, but my aim with the water-borne bacteria is to support filter feeders, such as sponges. Bacteria on the rock surfaces aren't useful in that context, unless and until they break loose and are in the water.

When I started organic carbon dosing (vinegar), there was a clear increase in growth and number of sponges in my tank.
Yes I agree with that completely, I’ve seen the same growth in sponges definitely, my answer to the OP “Is it alright to run the UV sterilizer all the time?” without mention to sponges etc., was basically yes

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So how long would you run it each day? And better night or day time?

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
There isn't?

Really? I have been really debating shutting mine off for 12 hours a day on a tank that I will not be adding any more fish to unless something sad happens. My other tank, once I get rid of this hitch hikers that has caused 6 months of pain, I will be adding a bunch of fish and will want it on I think to control fish parasites. But, help me with this. I read that all the beneficial bacteria is on the rock and substrate. I have just found it hard to think that if running non stop, we are sterilizing the good bad and my exes. When it comes to UV I’m really confused as you can’t really see what the heck you are doing. Sigh…

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will find varied advice and supporting studies provided by both camps. It can be hard to sort out. Many of us use them as needed to control Dino’s and cyano if there is an outbreak.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I agree with that completely, I’ve seen the same growth in sponges definitely, my answer to the OP “Is it alright to run the UV sterilizer all the time?” without mention to sponges etc., was basically yes
I think there are too many variables to make that assurance. Size and contact time vs volume, bio load, feeding, etc. I would hedge and say it simply depends on the system.

I put one on for a dino outbreak and ran it for a month. Other issues cropped up and I can’t rule the UV in or out. But it is oversized and on the low side of flow so I shut it down.

Things got better but I am undecided and too lazy to do an actual controlled test of any kind. I may try again at some point But remain on the fence.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back