UV Sterilizer for beginner

AyoItsRocco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, so to begin with this question, I have been dealing with some kind of algae for a couple of weeks, I think it's diatoms because it's brown and dusty (the pics looks green but Its definitely brown when I'm up close), but my LFS says it may be a film algae of some sorts that shouldn't harm the fish. So they recommended a UV Sterilizer that can help bring down the bloom I have. I have done some research on them and kind of understand how they work. So my question is, what would y'all recommend for UV Sterilizers to put in my first tank? I have a 45G tank thats turning 4 months old later this month. Any tips and advice is much appreciated! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Also here are some pics for what I'm dealing with.

dirtytank2.jpg dirtytank.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't bother with a UV. You just need a bunch of snails. I would also recommend copepods (not tigrio pods). UV sterilizers don't make a difference in algae imo.

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't bother with a UV. You just need a bunch of snails.
Yup I second this. You need a full blown clean up crew. Plus you're a part of the clean up crew as well. Clean yo glass man. Shoot at least you don't have dinos

UV is handy to have around though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AyoItsRocco

AyoItsRocco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't bother with a UV. You just need a bunch of snails. I would also recommend copepods (not tigrio pods). UV sterilizers don't make a difference in algae imo.
That's what they had told e would help as well, I just brought home 2 turbos, a conch, and a Cerith.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some ppl. here are going to poo poo you for the canister filter. I run a 207 on a 10g it's great. I clean it every six months when the water starts to slow. I started mine with established "just out of the ocean" live rock, so your 207 might be a bit small right now. Since yours is a 45g I would make sure you have good circulation with some wavemakers/powerheads. Don't worry about the uglies... it's a process. You are not going to avoid them starting out with dry rock. until your tank is more established you might want to add a HOB filter such as an aquaclear or tidal so you can change out media more frequently.

OP
OP
AyoItsRocco

AyoItsRocco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when the water starts to slow. I started mine with established "just out of the ocean" live rock, so your 207 might be a bit small right now.
I love my canister right now and I knew the ugly phase was gonna happen sooner or later lol. I will eventually upgrade to something a little more power, I actually didn't realize 45 was the max before I had bought.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canister filters can be great. The two drawbacks that i see on saltwater are
-they don’t skim from tank surface, the filter intake is below water, In saltwater you want to skim the surface. Could remedy that with an overflow box that feeds the canister intake.
-the other drawback is cleaning it. You can clean half I guess but… When you clean it, which you must, you’re taking away lotsa bacteria that are your nitrogen cycle, causing swings. Best way to remedy this, that I can see, is having more than one canister and rotate cleaning them.
Back to your question, uv. Think they’re worthwhile. Change the bulb for 20 bucks once a year or so is a cheap benefit to cost ratio in this hobby. Think an 18 watt on your canister output is a good move, imo

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my canister right now and I knew the ugly phase was gonna happen sooner or later lol. I will eventually upgrade to something a little more power, I actually didn't realize 45 was the max before I had bought.

The canister will aid in creating algae. They are recirculating garbage bins (quite literally) Matter just sits in there and rots. In a good setup, you should be cleaning or swapping the mechanical filtration every few days at least. Canisters make this a pain.

OP
OP
AyoItsRocco

AyoItsRocco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The canister will aid in creating algae. They are recirculating garbage bins (quite literally) Matter just sits in there and rots. In a good setup, you should be cleaning or swapping the mechanical filtration every few days at least. Canisters make this a pain.
Thats my worry about cleaning it, I'm really not trying to lose the bacteria I have that took awhile to get. If I could i would just ditch my 45 gallon and upgrade to a 75 or 90 gallon so I can go all out on filtration.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats my worry about cleaning it, I'm really not trying to lose the bacteria I have that took awhile to get. If I could i would just ditch my 45 gallon and upgrade to a 75 or 90 gallon so I can go all out on filtration.
You could do a sump now on your 45, then use it on you upgrade

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back