UV STERILIZER HELP

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have a 525L tank and have just installed my uv feeding from my return pump. The sterilizer states the maximum flow is 1900lph. I have a tmc reef pump 8000, that I have set on level two which gives me about 800lph running through it.

Would this be okay or would I be best upping my return rate to ten times turn over and getting a separate pump to feed the UV?

But the problem then would be a closed sump uv system?

Can anyone help me out?

IMG-20200704-WA0000.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best use of a UV IMO is on a quaratine tank. If you want to run it on your display system keep in mind if you have it set up on your sump's return pump the theronts ("larva") are hatching out in your display tank and many are likely to find fish before they work thier way through the sump/refugium to go through the UV. If feasable I would suggest using a seperate pump that's located at one end behind the aquascaping in the display and is returning back to the display at the other end. Also, be sure the flow rate is correct for killing ich. I've seen recommended flows on packaging based on killing algae not ich which needs a much slower flow rate to have a long enough exposure to kill it. Your concern of a sump "closed sump UV" loop is well founded. Over the years that's the least effective setup I've seen as there will be a pecentage of the theronts ("larva") present that don't go through the UV.

OP
OP
loweryphil

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply, my goal with the UV is to rid my tank of dinos, for the time being. Would the way I have it set be okay? I've had it hooked up a week and seen a slight improvement but it's the flow rate that gets me, running from the return I have to have 1.5 tank turn over an hour, however I've massively upped the flow in my Display to compact this.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back