UV sterilizer in a reef setup?

Bolen2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I’ve been having trouble with algae blooms during the day when my lights turn on and I have a UV sterilizer that was part of a yard sale bundle I got a few years back. I was wondering if anyone has tried this before and if it’s reef safe. My main concern is nitrifying bacteria but most of it should cling to live rock and within the sand bed. Thanks for any thoughts

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV sterilizer is one useful tool. It indiscriminately kills algae spores & microscopic fauna & fana. From my point of view, the microbial loop moves carbon up the food chain and recycles inorganic & organic nutrients into hungry mouths.

From your brief description, you likely have Cynobacteria. If that is what you have, the uv sterilizer will not help you.

Help us help you. Take a picture of the problem under white light.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bolen2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I’m dealing with. It only starts when the lights come on and it gives the water this nasty green color. The white floss in my filter pretty much turns green in a single day.

Attachments

• CEEDF8CF-BBBA-4D77-94F4-04F0EDABAC3D.jpeg
    CEEDF8CF-BBBA-4D77-94F4-04F0EDABAC3D.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 48

Pankney72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I’m dealing with. It only starts when the lights come on and it gives the water this nasty green color. The white floss in my filter pretty much turns green in a single day.
maybe free swimming Dinos... if you have those, a UV should killit bang.

OP
OP
B

Bolen2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe free swimming Dinos... if you have those, a UV should killit bang.
I’ve looked over the UV sterilizer and it has a stainless steel insert intended to reflect the UV rays so I probably won’t be using this one.

Pankney72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve looked over the UV sterilizer and it has a stainless steel insert intended to reflect the UV rays so I probably won’t be using this one.
I'm confused... Is this not a UV sterilizer designed for reef aquariums? Aquarium grade UV sterilizers are very established as reef safe and awesome for the type of dino that gets suspended in the water column.

OP
OP
B

Bolen2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t entirely sure if it was or not. Like I mentioned earlier it just came with a bundle of supplies I got at a yard sale a few years back and never had intentions of using but kept anyway. It doesn’t have a brand name on it and the stickers have all worn off so I can’t really get an idea of what it was intended for. I’m assuming this was likely intended for pond use. I have heard of people using pond sterilizers on their reef setup but Im not going to chance that now after taking it apart and seeing that it is an actual stainless steel insert.

Aquanic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Jebao36 watt one for fairly cheap. It took care of my issues when i got it and i do recommend them, however, i am having issues with an algae bloom and idk why. UV sterilizers are a great tool for clearing the tank up from bacteria and algae. It also can kill parasites and diseases like ick if it is run at the right flow rate. The main consideration for your tank is wattage.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
When my UV bulb burnt out it was noticeable; I was scratching my head about why my algae was all of a sudden going crazy. I checked the bulb and it was inoperable. a new one fixed it and within hours I saw marked improvement in water clarity. I'm using a cheap 24W - plumbed for either parasites or algae using gate valves so I can select how much of my return flow I send it.

OP
OP
B

Bolen2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my UV bulb burnt out it was noticeable; I was scratching my head about why my algae was all of a sudden going crazy. I checked the bulb and it was inoperable. a new one fixed it and within hours I saw marked improvement in water clarity. I'm using a cheap 24W - plumbed for either parasites or algae using gate valves so I can select how much of my return flow I send it.
I ended up just going ahead and purchasing a 15W for my setup and it has worked wonders. My water is crystal clear now. I gave the other one to my brother for his pond since it had the stainless steel insert. Thanks for the input everyone.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I’ve been having trouble with algae blooms during the day when my lights turn on and I have a UV sterilizer that was part of a yard sale bundle I got a few years back. I was wondering if anyone has tried this before and if it’s reef safe. My main concern is nitrifying bacteria but most of it should cling to live rock and within the sand bed. Thanks for any thoughts
Only if water green, and I have hade luck with them, but manufactured ones for $ 150 don't last and replacement bulbs too expensive. Do a Do it yourself is my thoughts

Back