UV sterilizer positioning question

  • Thread starter Thread starter helwrj28
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

helwrj28

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 6, 2020
Messages
386
Reaction score
97
Location
Lancaster
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I was curious about the positioning and mounting of a new UV sterilizer. I understand that barbs should face upward if mounted horizontally and if vertically the inlet should be on bottom and output on top.

I was curious if the direction of water flow through the UV sterilizer matters though, and if it does, how it should be arranged.. do you have inlet farther from bulb and outlet towards bulb, or vice versa?

Any help would be most appreciated thanks!
 
Flow doesn't matter with horizontal mounting. Bottom inlet with vertical mounting like you wrote.
 
Fill from bottom upwards to prevent trapping air.

Best to take water from DT, sterilize, and return to DT.
 
Do you know which brand or model you're getting?

At least for the UV I got the directions were super clear about the inlet vs outlet and the UV chamber itself was labeled too.
 
Thanks, so flow within the PVC piping is irrelevant
 
Do you know which brand or model you're getting?

At least for the UV I got the directions were super clear about the inlet vs outlet and the UV chamber itself was labeled too.
I can't recall the directions on my Pentair... but I purchased a Jebao for dinos
 
Hi there, I was curious about the positioning and mounting of a new UV sterilizer. I understand that barbs should face upward if mounted horizontally and if vertically the inlet should be on bottom and output on top.

I was curious if the direction of water flow through the UV sterilizer matters though, and if it does, how it should be arranged.. do you have inlet farther from bulb and outlet towards bulb, or vice versa?

Any help would be most appreciated thanks!
Mine is installed with water inlet line towards bulb.
 
Thanks for the input everyone!

Also curious if it's okay to have the UV resting on the floor near the tank.. I'd prefer to not mount it to the cabinet..
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new