UV sterilizer relocation

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reefer911
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 23, 2022
Messages
1,536
Reaction score
888
Location
Pensacola, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to get my UV sterilizer out of my sump as I’ve never been completely happy with its location and configuration. I have a CADE 1200 Peninsula and would like to hang it on the outside of the tank behind the overflow. I’m looking for ideas on how to hang the unit on the glass. I did have a net on top that I will have to contend with, but that shouldn’t be much of a hindrance. But something low profile will help in that regard.

Also trying to decide if I’ll hang vertically or mostly horizontal with just enough of an angle so that air bubbles get pushed out.

Any help is appreciated!
 
Just hard plumb it into a fixed position. I suppose that you could have somebody print a 3d bracket or you could velcro strap it to the overflow plumbing.

I screwed two velcro straps to the leg of my stand and use those to strap into into place, kind of like a fire extinguisher would be held to the wall bracket.
 
Home Depot has pipe mounts; some are plastic, some are metal ...I want to say they go up to 4"
Not sure what the diameter of the unit is,
here are some on Amazon in stainless streel
4" Rigid Pipe strap

I used 2 ea PVC board; mounting the unit itself on one and mounting the other to the wall ...I used French cleats to hang ...
Currently on laptop but can provide pics if you need
 
I’d like to get my UV sterilizer out of my sump as I’ve never been completely happy with its location and configuration. I have a CADE 1200 Peninsula and would like to hang it on the outside of the tank behind the overflow. I’m looking for ideas on how to hang the unit on the glass. I did have a net on top that I will have to contend with, but that shouldn’t be much of a hindrance. But something low profile will help in that regard.

Also trying to decide if I’ll hang vertically or mostly horizontal with just enough of an angle so that air bubbles get pushed out.

Any help is appreciated!
I would not run it horizontal. However, ask customer service at manufacturer about that and they should have that bracket already designed.
 
I would not run it horizontal. However, ask customer service at manufacturer about that and they should have that bracket already designed.
Ditto, I've heard this a few times...
Unsolicited but related advice:
Also be advised you don't want your UV to run dry and risk overheating, so however its mounted perhaps program the on/off in tandem with your return pump..

I once had a HOB Aqua UV I think
 
I wouldn't mount that on glass. Mine is attached to the stand
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new