Vacation checklist?!?!

Madonia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going on a 10 day vacation soon. Trying to avoid a disaster.

Does anybody have a ‘vacation checklist’ or tips they are willing to share with me to help mitigate risks of leaving the tank unattended?

I have a trident and apex to monitor. Someone will be there to feed the tank daily. Any advice is appreciated.

MN_ReeferKev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to this and haven't gone on vacation yet, but a common them seems to be dont do anything out of the norm or make any changes in the days leading up to it.

Following for more info, good topic

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First question: Who is caring for the tank? Are they experienced with tanks or just a friend? If not experienced then do you have the number of a LFS handy where they could be called in for a disaster.
Second: Apex apex apex

Now the fun stuff:
1. Leave a bucket at the ready. Probably the most useful tool for a tank right behind your wallet.
2. Extra socks. Let's be honest **** happens and replacing a sock is easy enough
3. Extra food. Not to be given but just in case something is dropped or you are delayed for your return
4. ATO? Is your reservoir big enough to run for longer than you are gone?
5. Some Xanix. While away figure out how to 'Forget about it' and relax

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If 'soon' is less than a 2 weeks away you've left it too late to do anything different.

If the tank is stable just don't change anything other than maybe a water change a couple of days before you leave.
Get your local LFS to watch the Apex for you

I've left my tanks for over two months, but everything was running unattended for 6 weeks before I left.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going on a 10 day vacation soon. Trying to avoid a disaster.

Does anybody have a ‘vacation checklist’ or tips they are willing to share with me to help mitigate risks of leaving the tank unattended?

I have a trident and apex to monitor. Someone will be there to feed the tank daily. Any advice is appreciated.
I would prepackage the amount of food to be given daily. Also, I have a camera on both my tank and sump. You could potentially guide someone along a problem if one were to occur if you saw it with your camera.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't a emergency...

I do 10-14 day swings regularly due to work travel. If your close to leaving don't change anything, it will drive you even more nuts.

I went with a display and sump camera, perform a LARGE water change before you leave (I do usually 20g). I also run a apex, automation for feedings (pellets 3x a day) enough rodi to last 2 weeks (plus extra premade rodi), 10% premade salt water (just in case) and someone who is competent to keep an eye on SALTWATER fish (in my case my dad). I also have a solid freshwater fish friend, who can deal with instructions over the phone if needed.

Do I worry, not so much anymore. I've done what I could to mitigate the potential issues with the tank. My biggest fear is that I'm in earthquake country and my second is a long (over 24-36 hour outage).

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Buy an Apex
2. Program your Apex
3. Monitor your tank anywhere in the world via your phone via the Apex App
4. Buy a couple Wyze cameras to put eyes on your tank
5. Buy an Eheim auto feeder and use it
6. Have a family member ready to go over if you call them if you see smthg on Alex or Wyze cams that's concerning

(I've gone on vacation for 14 days and left my tank alone multiple times in the hands on Apex, Wyze and a Sister in Law)

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have extra RODI and extra salt water on hand and clearly labeled.

Walk the person who is feeding through the entire system so they know what it should look like running normally.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back