Valentini puffer and corals?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do you think pretty much any other Toby is gonna give me a higher chance of success. If that is the case, it kinda sucks because I think blue spots are by far the best looking
I agree on blue spots

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Best looking

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue spots are gorgeous but yes-destructive

Sometimes you just don't want to accept reality. I really want one of these, but all of the evidence suggest it's going to be a problem. I kept saying to myself that it'll be different for me. :rolleyes: I can make it work. No i can't. Okay, I'm done with the puffer and onward to finding another fish that will work. thx.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes you just don't want to accept reality. I really want one of these, but all of the evidence suggest it's going to be a problem. I kept saying to myself that i'll be different for me. :rolleyes: I can make it work. No i can't. Okay, I'm done with the puffer and onward to finding another fish that will work. thx.
I felt the same way you did

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think "leopard" would be your first clue. :D From everything I've read, any puffer can/will have the tendency to nip at both fish and corals.
It’s leopard because of the spots. I know everything has the ability to, I just want to know what will give me my best odds.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s leopard because of the spots. I know everything has the ability to, I just want to know what will give me my best odds.

Just having a little fun... nothing malicious. I think it all depends on the individual puffer. Have i read of success stories? Yes. But you won't know until you introduce the fish to your tank. :)

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx, Cindy. :D Just when I had convinced myself not to get one because they can/are a problem, you come along and tell me no problem. Maybe some day.:)
I’m giving my guy another shot in the display where there is more rock and some more fish to distract him and see how he does. Hopefully he will be okay but I will post results in about a month

JoeJoesonoma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had my valentini puffer for 3 yrs now....he developed a taste for my clean-up crew..especially my nasarius snails. And then caught him nipping at my sps. I found if i keep him fed well with clams and mussels...he will stay away from my coral and the clean-up crew.

Attachments

• 20190909_101544.mp4
    87.3 MB

wrasse man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah, I wish I could have kept mine. I loved how he buzzed around the tank like a little helicopter. Alas, my acans would have never survived. They were perpetually shriveled up once he developed a taste.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had my valentini puffer for 3 yrs now....he developed a taste for my clean-up crew..especially my nasarius snails. And then caught him nipping at my sps. I found if i keep him fed well with clams and mussels...he will stay away from my coral and the clean-up crew.

thx for posting that. If it were just my CUC, I would be willing to sacrifice some of them. I don't plan on having any sps, mainly softies--yes, I know they will go after them, too. If i do go with a blue spot, it will be a juvenile at 3/4" to 1" that i will introduce at the end; which means i'm waiting at least a year where i'll have my tank somewhat established with fish and corals. If i find that it's not going to work, i'll remove him. Anyway, I'll revisit this in a year and see how i feel.

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was fine with SPS except he ate plating montipora like it was lunch for some reason. He jumped to his death a few months ago so make sure you get a cover.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx, Cindy. :D Just when I had convinced myself not to get one because they can/are a problem, you come along and tell me no problem. Maybe some day.:)

Sorry, did not mean to add to your confusion!

I’m giving my guy another shot in the display where there is more rock and some more fish to distract him and see how he does. Hopefully he will be okay but I will post results in about a month

Good luck!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back