surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the middle.
17.jpg

definitely looks like a red bug right there. all it takes is a couple that come in on a frag from the frag swap.

you may not be seeing them b/c there may only be a small few. IME.....they liked to hang out in the shady under parts of the sps branches.

when i had red bugs, i never noticed until there were dozens on a single coral. once i saw them, i held other corals up to the front of the glass then i could see them.

so it will probably take them a little bit of time to reproduce before you ever notice them. they won't cause any noticable stress to the corals until there are LOTS covering the entire coral.

traditionally, they *love* to go after tricolors, as well as tenius acros, or any big stags.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well guess what? I have red bugs!! I pulled out this tri color and found about 4-5 on the inside area where its a little darker.

Now what do I do?????

Crap never had this before. Will I loose my sps???

I feel like I have an STD... :( Nobody will ever want to trade with me...

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guess what? I have red bugs!! I pulled out this tri color and found about 4-5 on the inside area where its a little darker.

Now what do I do?????

Crap never had this before. Will I loose my sps???

I feel like I have an STD... :( Nobody will ever want to trade with me...

honestly, red bugs is quite possibly the best reef STD you could possibly get, b/c its so treatable. problem is, people either dont realize they have them b/c they are so small.......or don't care if they have them b/c they are so common to be infected with and they don't do that much damage until they reach plague proportions.

your acros will be fine.......for quite some time with doing nothing.

so there are 2 ways you can look at this. you can decide its no rush to treat the tank. and in the mean time go out and get any other sps frags you'll want. and by the time you are ready to treat several months from now, you'll have already introduced lots of other sps frags you also wanted. so wait for a while, and treat once.

2nd option is to treat right away, thus giving your reef time to recover and repopulate the pod population (interceptor will kill all/most of your pods). but then you'll run the risk of getting red bugs again when you introduce new sps.

of course, you could always set up a QT tank, which should be done if you have the money and space. but thats not possible for everyone.

anyways, its really no big deal whatever you decide to do, and its no real rush either.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Whew I dont feel too bad after reading your post. My tank is exactly where I want it SPS wise and I have no desire to add anything else except one more lemonade frag from a local buddy.

All I have is 3 shrimp and like a few hermit crabs. I can get the 2 cleaners easy, but the pepp may have to die. No way to get him and I want him gone anyway. I know it sounds bad, but no way to catch him. ANYTHING else that will die?

I want to treat NOW! I can't stand it knowing they are in there. Now I need to find some interceptor.

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A local vet should have the interceptor Dave - Don't feel bad buddy! If your in this hobby long enough and trade or buy sps frags you will get red bugs - it's just a fact - And like Al said at least it is easily treated

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev's got cooties, revs got cooties.....

Great pics mister, so good in fact that people noticed you have COOTIES......LOL. Good luck treating the corals, I just went through the redbug for ricordea and it isn't fun knowing there is something killing your precious.....+

sdietz2469

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
and dont worry about doing exactly the amount they recommend..... i have treated before, and i ended up using a 4 times dose the first time, no water change after, just plugged the air line back into my skimmer, added a little carbon, and then the next treatment i did a 2 times dose with a 20% waterchange, arbon and turned back on my skimmer...... and most of the people i know have done the same and had no ill effects, just you will have to adjust your skimmer cuz it makes it under react.... if you cant find some, i can get it from my vet for 15/ pill, and i could ship it.... let me know......
shane

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%
Back