VCA RFG Microbubbles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a RFG on my tank for about a year with no issue. However I took it off to clean it yesterday and when I reattached it I’m getting a bunch of microbubbles coming out. I didn’t change anything else, return pump and sump are untouched, I just removed the nozzles cleaned them and reattached them.

I can’t remember if this was normal when I first installed it and they eventually stopped once it “broke in” or if is something I can fix. My tank is a Red Sea Reefer 425XL, here’s a picture of how it’s installed, again same as before.

6B3CD972-1A95-4597-8B70-8D186EDB544B.jpeg

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you notice the RFG sucking or pulling air from the surface? Mine will create the microbubbles in any of my tanks depending on how close the RFGs are to the surface. Not to mention when my wavemakers are shifting the waters surface.

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read that before as well, that’s why I tried to push them pretty low beneath the surface. I don’t see anything on the top of the water, little vortexes or anything like that so I don’t think they are sucking air.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read that before as well, that’s why I tried to push them pretty low beneath the surface. I don’t see anything on the top of the water, little vortexes or anything like that so I don’t think they are sucking air.
Is the adapter for the RFG's connecting to the Red Sea plumbing seated properly? Seems like if you have micro bubbles the nozzle or plumbing is sucking air somewhere.

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that might be the culprit. I pushed pretty hard on the fitting and thought it was in place but will give it another try when I get home.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You may want to try to turn off all pumps other than the return pump for a minute and then use your eyes and ears to search for anywhere that air is getting in to the line from the return pump to the RFG and everywhere in between. This includes making sure that all loc-line links are tight. Good luck!

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also be careful keeping them.that low , if you lose power they will continue the siphon and might overfill sump . I mean just do a test run and make sure . My gf made me do about 20

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I just removed the RFG and saw microbubbles still coming out of the return. Guess that means the issue is elsewhere o_O

Is it possible that when you removed the RFG for cleaning that you impacted the connection of one of the other loc-line joints?

U

User1

View Badges
Only time I noticed this while they are attached to my 1" Sea Swirl units was when I had them level with the surface. Direct them a bit more and it was perfect.

Oddly enough I preferred the random vortex that caused the micro bubbles. Replicates a reef crest and I swear some of my corals liked it better than without. Not a constant thing but truly random side effect.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all - looks like I'm late to this thread. Love all the customer-to-customer support :)

Yeah I just removed the RFG and saw microbubbles still coming out of the return. Guess that means the issue is elsewhere o_O

Just so I'm clear, you see microbubbles even though the RFGs are not connected? If that's the case, then like others have suggest, maybe inspect the adapter. Other than that - it would defiantly be somewhere else down the line. Maybe check where the water enters the return chamber of your sump. Ive had small bubble form there for a short period after having the return pump tuned off for a water change.

Only time I noticed this while they are attached to my 1" Sea Swirl units was when I had them level with the surface. Direct them a bit more and it was perfect.

Oddly enough I preferred the random vortex that caused the micro bubbles. Replicates a reef crest and I swear some of my corals liked it better than without. Not a constant thing but truly random side effect.

Depending the GPH you are pushing through the nozzle and the depth it's at, you may be able to straighten it back up and get that more pronounced randomization that your corals are loving without drawing in air by following a few simple insulation tricks

Here's a quick insulation guide

RFG-Installation-Guidlines-1.jpg

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a follow up to this post. Turns out the source of the microbubbles was my skimmer.

I've been taking it offline for days then back online as I'm dosing a regimen of bacteria supplement. I think this perhaps caused the skimmer to need to "break in" again as when it was new.

Either way nothing to do with the RFG's. I think it's because I started running carbon, and did a top to bottom clean on my glass and weir at the same time. Which of course made the water clarity amazing, but also highlighted the microbubbles, which were a result of the skimmer.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking, isn’t the syphon break on those Red Sea aquariums inside the overflow box? Maybe that’s a source of air intake.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 24 13.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 15.4%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 91 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back