Vectra L1 + 3/4" plumbing = too much back pressure?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

roostertech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently installed an L1 into my Reefer 525XL. I used the

Schedule 40 adapter -> 1.5" to .75" reducer bushing -> 3/4" barb -> 3/4" silicone tube -> red sea barb

I'm running at 40%-50% and getting jet of water coming out of the input side of the pump (which has the screen kit) as well as a low whine from the motor.

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also curious about this. i've been thinking of stepping up to an L1 from an M1

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why such a large pump with such small plumbing?
And then a 3/4" barb is reducing even further... probably to 1/2" or so.
Even 1" plumbing on my system creates too much restriction with the L1. I don't have any problems doing so but output is reduced. I could run it at 100% and only get around 700 gph according to my flow meter.
I would either upsize everything to 1" or get a smaller pump.

OP
OP
R

roostertech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why such a large pump with such small plumbing?
And then a 3/4" barb is reducing even further... probably to 1/2" or so.
Even 1" plumbing on my system creates too much restriction with the L1. I don't have any problems doing so but output is reduced. I could run it at 100% and only get around 700 gph according to my flow meter.
I would either upsize everything to 1" or get a smaller pump.

I went with 3/4" because the that's the Reefer return line size. I'm not as concerned with flow loss but more on the noise and back flow issue.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with 3/4" because the that's the Reefer return line size. I'm not as concerned with flow loss but more on the noise and back flow issue.
That's fine, but the L1 has a 1.5" output. It's really meant for a larger tank with larger plumbing. The only reason I have it on my 120g is because I was running Triton which recommends much higher flow through the sump.
For your tank, I would stick to a pump that has a 3/4 or 1" output.
Or try to relieve the backpressure by Tee'ing off the return line with a manifold to run some other equipment and/or just send some water back to the sump.

Back