Vega for new 56g

  • Thread starter Thread starter u1tranova
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

u1tranova

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 22, 2011
Messages
20
Reaction score
3
Location
Nashville, TN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting back into the hobby and setting up a new 56g tank that is 30wide, 18 deep, and 25 tall. I've got all my equipment except lights. I'm really liking what I hear and have researched about the Ai vega LEDs. My question is, would 1 vega be adequate for my tank? I will have a 1-2 inch sandbed and there is a corner overflow box in the left side. Two things that concern me are the height of the aquarium(25") and the center brace that is about 2" wide. Will the brace and height be a problem for the vega?
 
The brace will be the problem, so you'll need 2 units, one on either side of the brace. If you were to use just one unit you would have shadows on boths sides anyways, so its better. The depth will be fine.
 
Even without a brace, a 3' tank will need two LEDs. They usually cover a 2x2 area each. With one you'll get dark spots on the left and right (and in your case the middle with the brace).
 
In that case, would the hydra or sole be suitable for the depth? If I need two I need to go a lil on the lower price side.
 
In that case, would the hydra or sole be suitable for the depth? If I need two I need to go a lil on the lower price side.

The hydra and Sol are the same price now. I had the Sol once and it didn't work out (It only uses cool white LEDs so not enough spectrum for SPS. I know several other people who have had the same problem). I'd go with the Hydra.

Aquarium LED Lighting and Accessories
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new