Velvet. Affirmation and support requested.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.
I know you want to keep it as natural as possible for your fish. What I have learned over the years is there is nothing natural about how these fish are collected and shipped half way around the world with many stops in between getting to our tanks. The good news is you've got your QT tank now and have read up on the medication procedures if needed.
As far as trusted sources to buy fish from. Personally I now assume they have some kind of disease when I get them. Observe in QT and treat if needed.
Good luck with tank. It sucks I know, but it happens to everyone that has been in this hobby for any long time.

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the support thus far.

With the loss of the Kole my attention is to preventing bacterial infections now. If I dose in the tank, won’t that destroy the bacteria on the media and make the bio-load an even greater concern? I don’t like the idea of a bath daily, it will be stressful to catch each fish (3x wrasses).

What about a UV? I have read some positive reports about it. I have a 15w aqua I could rig up somehow... just put a pump in the tank I guess.

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continued concern about secondary infections post-tang demise.

Lots of jagged fins. At least one cloudy eye.

Jawfish has quite a bit of irregularities on him. Is this a fungus or what?

Course of action? Limited access to meds, petsmart/Petco are all that are open right now.

43D3A55C-0991-42C2-AC6C-CFEC2338B59F.jpeg

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remembered I had metroplex, so I dosed that after a little research. I think everyone is eating. I added more copper moving closer to 2.0 but will do a 10-20% water change tomorrow.

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update:

Still don’t really know what it was. Ich/velvet combined with some bacterial infection.

All three tangs and the jawfish are gone.

I had left the mandarin in the DT for fear of starvation and reputation of being resistant. Well he got a nasty infection and became covered in white gelatinous tufts. Pulled him and tried to go FW dip, but he went still and floaty sideways in an alarming manner. So... straight into 10g QT with NFG. That was Wednesday and he is stable but I don’t know what will happen.

The original 7: 3x wrasses, goby, blenny, cardinal, and CBB are chilling in the 55 w/2.0 copper power and daily Metroplex. Definitely a bit “off” but eating and I anticipate they will all survive if I can keep the ammonia under control. The 1L of matrix has either been compromised by the metro or... ? I’m getting about 48hrs before the badge gets to alert.

Anyway. I guess it’s heavy QT going forward. I still don’t understand how it wrecked my tank and yet the tang‘s mates are ok still at the LFS. Two yellow’s that came in with “mine” are healthy and happy. He doesn’t run copper or anything. Mystery of the world.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back