Velvet/ich peroxide and carbo dosing?

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been battling ich and velvet (parasite and dinoflagellate) for 2 years and usually was fine with healthy fish and UV.
I learned about peroxide dosing and started that.
im on week 5 and the outbreak has not gotten better. Potentially worse. With loss of shrimps and 2 fish.

im dosing with my apex DOS.
I run a 4 on 8 off light schedule. So I altered the peroxide a little for that. Currently dosing 310ml a day on a 210 and have gone through a gallon so far.

im curious if low nutrients or carbon dosing (bacto balance) have a negative impact on running peroxide?

Essentially I’m trying to figure out a way to get the peroxide to work better. I run a 55w UV at 200gph (looking to increase to 400gph). And essentially a successful sps tank otherwise.

thanks for and help or advice. I have used polyplab medic in the past for assistance when I had outbreaks. And that worked well

C6656459-1B0B-4E38-B92F-CDF74D42A661.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know why, but shrimp are really sensitive to peroxide….
Trouble with peroxide is as an oxidant, the amount of active dose in the tank is wholly dependent on the level of organics for it to oxidize, and that level changes over time. The result is that you cannot dose peroxide at a set amount - you need to measure the amount of free peroxide and dose accordingly. Amazon used to sell some low range peroxide test strips.
Another related problem with peroxide is after you add it, it reacts with the organics and then is not active against parasites until your next dose….your apex solves that issue I think.
This whole peroxide idea came about when somebody over extrapolated a study done in Hawaii controlling velvet with high dose peroxide dips - but these low doses were never tested.

Here is an article where I talk about the test strips:

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ive seen too many failures with trial of peroxide which also stems from mixed results with use of Polyp Lab Medic which are comprised of peroxide salts.
I did not see how to tried to combat the parasite issues but what copper product did you use, what test kit did you monitor copper with and how did you go about treatment( amount of time, etc)
Can you provide pics of tank and fish under white lighting ?

OP
OP
NEFFx

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen too many failures with trial of peroxide which also stems from mixed results with use of Polyp Lab Medic which are comprised of peroxide salts.
I did not see how to tried to combat the parasite issues but what copper product did you use, what test kit did you monitor copper with and how did you go about treatment( amount of time, etc)
Can you provide pics of tank and fish under white lighting ?
I have an sps reef so I’m not able to use anything else besides peroxide/salts and hope.

OP
OP
NEFFx

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know why, but shrimp are really sensitive to peroxide….
Trouble with peroxide is as an oxidant, the amount of active dose in the tank is wholly dependent on the level of organics for it to oxidize, and that level changes over time. The result is that you cannot dose peroxide at a set amount - you need to measure the amount of free peroxide and dose accordingly. Amazon used to sell some low range peroxide test strips.
Another related problem with peroxide is after you add it, it reacts with the organics and then is not active against parasites until your next dose….your apex solves that issue I think.
This whole peroxide idea came about when somebody over extrapolated a study done in Hawaii controlling velvet with high dose peroxide dips - but these low doses were never tested.

Here is an article where I talk about the test strips:

Jay
I agree, I was curious if I was feeding bacteria too much with carbon dosing and that was increasing the amount of bacteria and they were reducing the potency of the peroxide. Instead of raising peroxide I was thinking of how I can reduce the amount of stuff in the tank that the peroxide was interacting with.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I was curious if I was feeding bacteria too much with carbon dosing and that was increasing the amount of bacteria and they were reducing the potency of the peroxide. Instead of raising peroxide I was thinking of how I can reduce the amount of stuff in the tank that the peroxide was interacting with.
That is entirely possible - peroxide will oxidize bacteria, and once that happens, any reacted molecules are no longer reactive.

Jay

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back