OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I couldn’t acquire formalin or acriflavine just yet, would a FW dip and QT at least provide some sort of alleviation? Would it buy me enough time to acquire the right products?

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I have FW dipped them for 5 mins and put them in QT. Nemo (the one in the pic) almost died of shock, and my other clown (Luxo Jr.), a mocha clown, seems to be pretty good. They’re breathing heavily, but are still swimming around. I intend to continue daily FW dips until I can acquire the proper meds. I will also do daily QT water changes, slowly raising the copper level until it becomes 0.5 ppm. I will update you on how the clowns do. Nemo, unfortunately, looks pretty bad.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Its Brooklynella which is an infestation of marine fish by the protozoan Brooklynella hostilis. Most similar symptomatically to Oodinum, this is also a parasite that primarily attacks the gills first. At the onset, fish may scrape up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus. Very quickly the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable difference that sets Brooklynella apart from Oodinium is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body.
The consensus is that the best and most effective treatment for Brooklynella is formaldehyde alone although Malachite green also very effective. Typically a standard formalin solution(general cure is one type) is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially the fish is given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief may be provided by giving fish a FW dip or bath. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Fw dip should alleviate symptoms
QT, but keep a CLOSE eye on ammonia
FW dip gives the fish relief from irritation and does not eradicate anything other than Maybe flukes which is not the case here

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its Brooklynella which is an infestation of marine fish by the protozoan Brooklynella hostilis. Most similar symptomatically to Oodinum, this is also a parasite that primarily attacks the gills first. At the onset, fish may scrape up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus. Very quickly the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable difference that sets Brooklynella apart from Oodinium is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body.
The consensus is that the best and most effective treatment for Brooklynella is formaldehyde alone although Malachite green also very effective. Typically a standard formalin solution(general cure is one type) is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially the fish is given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief may be provided by giving fish a FW dip or bath. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
I do not have any formalin though do have a medicine that is mostly malachite green. Should that suffice?
I thought maybe brook, though I have yet to see any fading or excess mucous.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HLLE on Clowns? Never heard that before. I thought it was an Angel, Tang, and Butterfly thing.

If we really have to trace all the way back, maybe something went wrong in the supplier’s tank’s.
I was surprised to find HLLE, but it matches all the symptoms I’ve seen before. It has some scales missing on the head and it’s lateral line looks very irritated.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I do not have any formalin though do have a medicine that is mostly malachite green. Should that suffice?
I thought maybe brook, though I have yet to see any fading or excess mucous.
Malchite WILL work

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Great! I will start treating that. Should it be put into the QT with the cupramine or should it be used in dips?
Dips or baths. Not sure if its safe mixed with Copper base

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to be doing a lot better in QT. They’re calmer, no longer flashing, and breathing is much less labored. I think that the FW dip helped with the mucous clogging their gills.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back