Velvet return or shock?

Courtney Dudoussat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TL;DR: damsels couldn’t hand full CP treatment for velvet, have their own tank now, play dead but not sure if lighting or tank transfer can attribute to it

So mid June my tank got velvet. Everyone was treated with CP for a month (around 33 days or so) but a couple of damsels started dying 2-3 weeks in, so they lived in an untreated bucket of saltwater with a heater and air stone. Well I recently had to move and now have more room (and not gonna get complained at) so I added a tank just for them. A small 10 gallon with an internal filter, bare bottom, just simple QT until I’m able to get copper treatment/testing. Everyone looked happy... until tonight. The yellow one was laying on the bottom, I asumed dead and my domino was brown and barely moving, head down tail up. I went to google how to humanely kill it and when I returned, the were both swimming around and the domino even ate. I’m wondering if they could have been in shock from the lighting, but it was only the room light, there’s no light on the tank ATM.
Anyways, I’m also going to ask if the occasion arises, what can I do to humanely end their life if it comes to it? I’ve heard clove oil but I’m not sure if I’m supposed to mix it in water or put them straight into it.

OP
OP
Courtney Dudoussat

Courtney Dudoussat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E335C76D-9D98-4A73-B6FD-CEE5D780D675.jpeg AD1C617E-FEB4-4AA8-885F-448D0C8B5D7C.png
E335C76D-9D98-4A73-B6FD-CEE5D780D675.jpeg
Any pics of the behavior you are describing?

I tried to upload a video but it didn’t work. The yellow one wasn’t moving at all until I moved the PVC

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an ammonia badge or have you tested ammonia since moving them? When you set up the tank, did you use any type of biological filtration- bio-spira in a sponge, for example.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back