Velvet ,... The quick killer... In 1000gallons

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man im sorry to hear that. I'm going through the same thing myself in my 150gal. I lost almost all of my fish in the matter of a few days. I still have 2 wrasses left in a hospital tank, but they're not looking too hot.

djreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you get rid of velvet?

Filter feeders - lots of them. Clams, sponges, tunicates, corals - I have never had an outbreak in a stable full blown established system with adequate biodiversity.

Remember folks:
Solve a biological problem with a biological solution.

DJ

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper,.... But once you notice the signs many times its to late, ... still loosing fish even in copper think I'm down to 15 fish Need to count them.

Ooh man. So sorry to hear that. I lost all my angels in my 180g about a year ago due to velvet too. What have you lost thus far?

OP
OP
charleslotz

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter feeders - lots of them. Clams, sponges, tunicates, corals - I have never had an outbreak in a stable full blown established system with adequate biodiversity.

Remember folks:
Solve a biological problem with a biological solution.

DJ
not even sure what to say about that,... Suggest some reading up on velvet will help. No biodiversity will stop velvet , ich yes velvet no...

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard that bio talk for velvet as well. I've only heard herbal stuff for fin rot and fungus type of problem.

TylerS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand the thinking on snails bringing in velvet. Can anyone elaborate on this? If it's true than fallow would not work on tanks with snails (isn't this basically every tank)?

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand the thinking on snails bringing in velvet. Can anyone elaborate on this? If it's true than fallow would not work on tanks with snails (isn't this basically every tank)?

It's not that the snails are infected with it, but that the velvet was on them. Think about it like washing your hands after cleaning the toilet. You aren't infected with whatever germs got on your hands, but those germs could make it into your salad if you don't wash them off first.

OP
OP
charleslotz

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Issue is for the venders they can't treat snails with copper to eradicate velvet as will kill the snails so only 100% is to quarantine snails algue anything you put in your tank ,..... Even coral from others ,....anything from a marine source>...

Update , True pasonofier rip , yellow long nose butterfly rip, some anthems rip.... ... My prize 10" emperer is infected but looking better not eaten in days.... Bandit is doing better,.... But a little dodgy ,... Regal looking better , masked angel knifes edge... 3 chromis perfect --- go figure... Fowleri looking better ... With microscope and Google it's was confirmed last night velvet (as best as an 2 amatures can).. All coral are stressed but have not lost any excepting the growth on the rock . Some are enjoying the extra nutrients...tank is kinda cleared up... It's like a snowball effect... Could not catch a saddleback and pink spot in my 200 gallon refurgium , so they have died but cannot find the bodies hope the carpet ate them or I will have amonia spike due to rotting fish and that saddle back was huge... Thinking I should remove the sand and clean the refurgium ,... But I have garden eels that seem uneffected.... They will not make the quarantine so they rip or survive velvet More worried for the corals and amonia spike .... :confused: Advise?

Have a couple questions ;

1- is it normal to loose fish in hospital tank with copper ,... Does Coper kill velvet immediately?
2- seem strange some fish are effected quicker that others.... Can't figure the chromis
3- are sea horses effected lost a giant seahorse , but could be unrelated...
4- are garden eels effected by velvet ? If they survive also keep velvet around? Making quarantine useless.

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I'm sorry. I can answer some questions as I just went through it and ended up losing every fish with the last one dying sometime yesterday.

1. Yes I lost my last 3 fish in my hospital tank I setup.

2. It does seem strange. I lost my blenny and butterfly first. My wrasse were the last to go out of every thing. I had some anthias and triggers go in the middle of them both

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are three ways to filter out ammonia. Bio, chemical, and mechanical. I doubt you can add any more rocks now, but you can certainly step up on all others. Bio can be microbacter 7 solution from brightwell. Chemical can be stuff like seachem Purigen. Mechanical is like turning up your skimmer or change the filter socks more.

OP
OP
charleslotz

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only bad news ... Have almost no fish left ... Garden Eel dead only have a couple fish left... Bandit, emperer , regal, ... Couple others all bad shape ,... All sps doing great . Dont think the emperer is going to make the copper ... Thinking to move him to clean tank and see if the velvet at least is dead.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh man..., really sorry to hear this. Run fallow for 2.5 months if you can resist. Then you can start getting big beautiful angels!!

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverts can bring anything as they reproduce on the shell of inverts. Some people say wait until shrimp molt or crabs change shell but it's safer to just leave them in fishless system for the time period to be safe. Risky to add stuff directly everything has chance to bring in bad stuff

OP
OP
charleslotz

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still cannot fathom the full extent of my loss , I'm in denial my prize fish looks like '''' ,... I am devastated by my losses ,... All the hard work and dedication gone in 3 days ,... It's depressing ,... I am still it two minds if I should continue .,.... If the last fish dies I'm done ! For those of us that have had fish for a long time they become like dogs , my emperer would let me pet him .....some days.... Without grunting and would take shrimp from my sons hand ,... Earlier when he first got sick he would come to the top and let me scratch his side and would lie on his side like I'm a cleaner shrimp... I put the net in the tank to remove a dead fish,... And he just swam into the net ... He is so sick , made a feeble attempt at a grunt. ... I prepared another tank this am before work and been mixing and heating all day will move him later tonight ... I will put him back into a clean copper free tank and hope all the velvet is gone... It's frikken depressing ... He now has some marks and what looks like hlle ,... Has not eaten in days ... Hope he has some fight left.....

Bandit is ok,... Regal is ok,... Fowleri is dodgy ... Purple is ok yellow will not make it ,.. Majestic fox looks ok just hides all bloched....when will the deaths end *** copper is supposed to kill velvet ... what the heck !?!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 78.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back