Vermetid Snails - Dry Tank

PhilMStudy

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 9, 2021
Messages
315
Reaction score
275
Location
DFW
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am upgrading to a new tank and know the tank was broke down due to a vermetid snail infestation that got way out of hand…

I’ve removed all remnants but and will take a scrub brush to overflow, but I’m sure there are some remnants in the hard tubing that is glued and irreplaceable.

is there something I can do, vinegar for example, to make sure I reduce the possibility that these will come back? The tank has been dry for at least a month. Probably closer to 3. No livestock, sand or rock will be reused

thank you in advance
 
Can you plug the end and fill the hard tube with muriatic acid for a couple of hours? I think any survivors would melt their shells and died if they are still hanging on inside the pipes. Make sure you wear gloves and eye protection and do this kind of thing in a well ventilated out doors area.
 
I am upgrading to a new tank and know the tank was broke down due to a vermetid snail infestation that got way out of hand…

I’ve removed all remnants but and will take a scrub brush to overflow, but I’m sure there are some remnants in the hard tubing that is glued and irreplaceable.

is there something I can do, vinegar for example, to make sure I reduce the possibility that these will come back? The tank has been dry for at least a month. Probably closer to 3. No livestock, sand or rock will be reused

thank you in advance
If dry rock, simply break off rock with a screwdriver
 
Thank you both! I will try the muriatic acid and screwdriver trick on any I see remaining
 
I forgot to update this and life got in the way of remembering until now

citric acid was a great success, thank you!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new