Vermetid Snails - Dry Tank

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am upgrading to a new tank and know the tank was broke down due to a vermetid snail infestation that got way out of hand…

I’ve removed all remnants but and will take a scrub brush to overflow, but I’m sure there are some remnants in the hard tubing that is glued and irreplaceable.

is there something I can do, vinegar for example, to make sure I reduce the possibility that these will come back? The tank has been dry for at least a month. Probably closer to 3. No livestock, sand or rock will be reused

thank you in advance

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you plug the end and fill the hard tube with muriatic acid for a couple of hours? I think any survivors would melt their shells and died if they are still hanging on inside the pipes. Make sure you wear gloves and eye protection and do this kind of thing in a well ventilated out doors area.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am upgrading to a new tank and know the tank was broke down due to a vermetid snail infestation that got way out of hand…

I’ve removed all remnants but and will take a scrub brush to overflow, but I’m sure there are some remnants in the hard tubing that is glued and irreplaceable.

is there something I can do, vinegar for example, to make sure I reduce the possibility that these will come back? The tank has been dry for at least a month. Probably closer to 3. No livestock, sand or rock will be reused

thank you in advance
If dry rock, simply break off rock with a screwdriver

OP
OP
P

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both! I will try the muriatic acid and screwdriver trick on any I see remaining

OP
OP
P

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to update this and life got in the way of remembering until now

citric acid was a great success, thank you!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back