VERMETID SNAILS

ReefSarg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been battling these little point of sale for over a year... I crush, I pluck, I starve them.... to no avail. Now that they’re growing on my sps I’m throwing in the towel. My tank is getting a complete over haul, putting my fish and coral in QT for a couple months. Luckily I just have a small 50g AIO...even still I have easy over a thousand in coral alone packed in there! Super annoying!

AF450335-5B3E-4844-BBDD-447C644851F7.jpeg 4B99A2EB-92FA-45FC-95A3-A47EEC640990.jpeg 9AF15223-AE24-4AE0-9CD9-5DFADE1C8319.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0019.MOV
    17.3 MB

MattW33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had loads when the tank was 12-18 months old, then they dwindled to a handful over the following 6 months. Whilst my evidence is anecdotal, I'm pretty sure it was related to how I fed the tank.

A tank reset is one way of doing it but there is a risk that you get them again and end up in the same situation. Being detritivores that eat from the water column, they only become a plague if you have enough food for them. So my vote would be to try starving them out again. If you feed frozen, make sure its rinsed well etc, and cut back on coral foods like reef roids. Run mechanical filtration / make sure you keep up with changing it out.

If you do all of this already, then I'd be trying to understand where waterborne particulates could be coming from, trapped food breaking down in low flow areas etc. What cuc do you have? Also, are the red patches cyano, difficult to tell from the photos?

Just my rambling thoughts, feel free to ignore!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back