Vertex Aquaristik RX6 Pump (Calcium Reactor)

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi Everybody!

My RX6 pump's impeller bit the dust and I can't for the life of me find a replacement. Any ideas out there?

Yes, I can replace the pump, but all the fittings on the reactor are metric. Even though I am in Canada, we don't use metric for plumbing. So, the replacement unions I need will take forever to get here (especially these days). I have a pump to use, but would rather re-use the existing hardware if possible (or replace, like for like).

TIA!

Last edited:
Mega Meltdown After Sale

ruhmreef

View Badges
Reaction score
sr to hear that...mine still working but i am really confuse when Vertex was out of business. i am looking around for more post and this is what I really scare for

ruhmreef

View Badges
Reaction score
i took some research and some say sicce pump 3.0 can work but you need some mod for that

OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The pump is not the issue, I have a pump to replace it. The problem is the metric plumbing, and the fact they hard glued the union fittings onto the stock pump. I think I found a source for metric PVC, but if I can't get metric to imperial, then I'm back to square one. Finding a european pump might be a good route...

That said, the pump is fine, it's just an impeller problem... In any other pump it would be a $20 fix...

In the mean time, I'm going to have to just get a new reactor...

ColdOceanReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Can you replace just the impeller? As mention, Syncra 3 impeller fits that pump. I found a couple on Aquacave

Reef Pro Corals

jda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Vertex appears to be OOB. Can you connect your new pump with soft tubing and hose clams? This does a good job of bridging the gap between metric and SAE.

A bit of heat from a heat gun can stretch vinyl tubing a bit to fit quite a bit larger than it really wants to...

OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Vertex appears to be OOB. Can you connect your new pump with soft tubing and hose clams? This does a good job of bridging the gap between metric and SAE.

A bit of heat from a heat gun can stretch vinyl tubing a bit to fit quite a bit larger than it really wants to...
I could do that, yes. But I would rather not, at least until I can get replacement unions and build onto the current piping; there is very little stock piping, so I don't want to start cutting things off.

I'll go back to my original point to posting. I'm not looking for help attaching a new pump; I'm looking for suggestions or information on the stock pump, and equivalent parts...

OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Did you find the solution?
I'm about to get one Vertex Reactor I found here. So I would really like to know if this can be fixed.
What feed pump do you use?
I was hoping to adapt it to the Quite One 1200 I have just sitting around.

For the solution, I found two options. First, to not manipulate the OEM piping and fittings, a metric union and barbed fittings should work.

Second, cutting off the unions to free up the ~25mm OD piping, then 1" flex tubing should fit over top (might need a heat gun to loosen up the tubing). Then adapt a barbed fitting to your pump. The biggest problem is really the lack of 'slack' between the unions, but if planned out and cut well, it should work.

I just went and bought another reactor, so I have something functional and reliable before I start experimenting. I did find a couple metric PVC plumbing supply shops here in Canada, so I am feeling optimistic. I'm going to need to rebuild my frag system, so I'll either do one of those solutions, or just use the reactor body as a fluidized sand filter for my clownfish tanks... But, I digress... It's not the end of the world if the pump dies, lol...

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Did you find the solution?
I'm about to get one Vertex Reactor I found here. So I would really like to know if this can be fixed.
What feed pump do you use?
It looks like the solution came in the box that my new Reef Octopus CR140, which was just delivered yesterday.

The pump has the exact fittings, or so it seems. (I did a test fit). So, I'm going to buy one of these pumps and test it out.

How do you run activated carbon on your reef tank?

• Reactor

Votes: 184 37.8%
  • Filter Sock

Votes: 21 4.3%
  • Mesh Bag

Votes: 216 44.4%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • I don't run Carbon

Votes: 59 12.1%

Online statistics

Members online