Very beginner question

r2r-gif-welcome.gif
 
Welcome to R2R! How are you testing the salinity??
A Salinity Refractometer & a Hanna Salinity & Temperature Tester. Wanted to have both to learn and compare numbers. Both have been calibrated per manufacturer's instructions and are reading the same.
 
Welcome friend

I'd personally go for 34 or 35. If you choose to run a bit lower, you may have to dose up your main parameters (alk, calc, magnesium) to get them to typical reef levels, depending on your salt mix.

spockwelcome.jpg
 
Welcome friend

I'd personally go for 34 or 35. If you choose to run a bit lower, you may have to dose up your main parameters (alk, calc, magnesium) to get them to typical reef levels, depending on your salt mix.

spockwelcome.jpg
Awesome, thank you. I got it up to 34.5 and based on your's and previous comments I'm thinking I'm good to move forward. Next step is staying consistent when mixing salt without having to add more RODI water here and more salt there.
 
You bet :) I will say most shoot for 1.026 or 35 ppt, but stability is the key. A reef tank that's been run at 1.024 can be just as successful as one ran at 1.026 :)

I would keep it at 24/25 for beginners it's right in the middle and will give you space with any mistakes going over or under.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new