Very new aquarium.

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have a 150g DT and a 75g sump (which I maintain at 35g) my DT has three fishes, a couple juvenile Vlamingii and a juvenile Hippo tang. Tank salinity is 1.021. I plan to start reefing in 6 months time so I would like to gradually increase the salinity to 1.023/4 for my fish to get acclimated when I start putting in coral. I need help to how I should gradually increase salinity without shocking the fish already in the DT? Any help is appreciated.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have a 150g DT and a 75g sump (which I maintain at 35g) my DT has three fishes, a couple juvenile Vlamingii and a juvenile Hippo tang. Tank salinity is 1.021. I plan to start reefing in 6 months time so I would like to gradually increase the salinity to 1.023/4 for my fish to get acclimated when I start putting in coral. I need help to how I should gradually increase salinity without shocking the fish already in the DT? Any help is appreciated.
As water evaporates, just replace with saltwater rather than freshwater.....it will bring it up slowly over time. I personally would try to get it to 1.025 if you plan on keeping coral with 1.024 being the absolute lowest.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
airvicconcre

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As water evaporates, just replace with saltwater rather than freshwater.....it will bring it up slowly over time. I personally would try to get it to 1.025 if you plan on keeping coral with 1.024 being the absolute lowest.
As I’ve read everywhere corals thrive at around 1.025-27 and that’s my plan however I want to take it very slow. Once I’m at 1.023 I let my fish settle a little before I begin to gradually increase to 1.025. Please give an opinion if there is a correction to be made. Thanks :)

Upvote 0

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I’ve read everywhere corals thrive at around 1.025-27 and that’s my plan however I want to take it very slow. Once I’m at 1.023 I let my fish settle a little before I begin to gradually increase to 1.025. Please give an opinion if there is a correction to be made. Thanks :)
Nope, that is perfect. Your original post said you were going to bring it up to 1.023/1.024 before putting coral in so I wasn't sure. Sounds like you are on the right track :) !

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back