vibrant and me vs. bryopsis

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've had an ongoing battle with this junk for a couple years in my bc29. it's been isolated to the top portion of just one rock, but i still wanted to get rid of it. i've tried three different batches of tech m but none of them did the trick. here's my dosing log and some pics. i've been dosing the recommended amount twice a week.

10/24 - dose
10/27 - dose
10/31 - pruned then dose, photo
bry20161031.jpg

11/03 - dose
11/07 - dose
11/10 - dose
11/20 - photo
bry20161112.jpg

11/14 - dose
11/17 - dose
11/20 - photo (you can now see some red slime mixed in there as well)
bry20161120.jpg

11/21 - dose
11/24 - dose
11/28 - pruned then dose
12/01 - dose
12/05 - dose
12/06 - photo
bry20161206.jpg

i'm continuing to dose as of right now to ensure it's fully eradicated. it's also helped reduce the film algae on my glass. i have half a dozen anemones in this tank as well as corals, fish and snails, and nothing has died nor have i seen any ill effects of dosing this product. i'm a skeptic by nature and not just in this hobby. i'm the first to nay-say products that appear to be scams. after having been in the industry for over 20 years i've seen a lot of those 'snake oils' and i just shake my head in disgust. i've tried a lot of those products when i was first starting out and just felt ripped off with no positive results. i can honestly say vibrant has worked on my bryopsis. i've changed nothing in my maintenance routine while dosing (water changes, gfo, feeding, etc) and i haven't over-dosed.

now the next phase is to find out if vibrant killed the roots. and the only way to know is to stop dosing and see what happens. i'm going to finish this bottle first, which should last me several more weeks.

p.s. - i'm not a paid spokesperson, although i should be!

@UWC
@stevo01
@john.m.cole3
@saltyfilmfolks
@Brew12

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the same looking algae as you but it's only on the new pieces of rubble holding corals and on my new magnetic rock shelves. I ordered a bottle and did the first dose yesterday. the way I figured it, a 16 oz bottle equals 30 ml per oz. So I have 480 mls of this stuff to dose. 8 mls twice a week gets me 60 doses total or 30 weeks of dosing. that's about 7 months. I also have bubble algae that is spreading in my tank. I hate the bubble algae bc it almost choked out one of my WWC designer zoas. Once I saw that I ordered my vibrant.

My question is will it strip nutrients. I read a thread today where someone said it zeroed out their NO3 with a quickness.

I like your results. finish the bottle before watching re-growth would be my vote.

OP
OP
cromag27

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't bothered testing no3 or po4. I'd probably see false readings due to the algae.

i have the same looking algae as you but it's only on the new pieces of rubble holding corals and on my new magnetic rock shelves. I ordered a bottle and did the first dose yesterday. the way I figured it, a 16 oz bottle equals 30 ml per oz. So I have 480 mls of this stuff to dose. 8 mls twice a week gets me 60 doses total or 30 weeks of dosing. that's about 7 months. I also have bubble algae that is spreading in my tank. I hate the bubble algae bc it almost choked out one of my WWC designer zoas. Once I saw that I ordered my vibrant.

My question is will it strip nutrients. I read a thread today where someone said it zeroed out their NO3 with a quickness.

I like your results. finish the bottle before watching re-growth would be my vote.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah maybe. wouldn't hurt. Others have posted that they have a clear mucus like film on their water's surface. That sounds pretty weird. I'm sure that film is preventable with proper flow and surface skimming.

OP
OP
cromag27

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange. I've been dosing g a second tank just to reduce the film algae and I haven't noticed anything on the surface of either tank. I guess it could be excess lipids or proteins.

yeah maybe. wouldn't hurt. Others have posted that they have a clear mucus like film on their water's surface. That sounds pretty weird. I'm sure that film is preventable with proper flow and surface skimming.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my guess would be insufficient flow for the particular tank. others have stated the film is the algae in its broken down form. sounds like bacteria mass in a way also. and others have referred to vibrant as a combo of Mb7 and NOPOX. If that's true then I'm most certain it's a bac bloom.

OP
OP
cromag27

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. that's why I hate overflow teeth! creates inefficient surface skimming.

my guess would be insufficient flow for the particular tank. others have stated the film is the algae in its broken down form. sounds like bacteria mass in a way also. and others have referred to vibrant as a combo of Mb7 and NOPOX. If that's true then I'm most certain it's a bac bloom.

jcoopcycle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing my 125 once a week to 10 day intervals, 15 ml. I guess I should step up the frequency. I have been cautious but have had no ill effects and no change in the issues I have

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's weird. Some report no to little nutrient change some do.
And of course. I'm skeptical of both reports. lol

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've had an ongoing battle with this junk for a couple years in my bc29. it's been isolated to the top portion of just one rock, but i still wanted to get rid of it. i've tried three different batches of tech m but none of them did the trick. here's my dosing log and some pics. i've been dosing the recommended amount twice a week.

10/24 - dose
10/27 - dose
bry20161031.jpg

11/03 - dose
11/07 - dose
11/10 - dose
11/20 - photo
bry20161112.jpg

11/14 - dose
11/17 - dose
bry20161120.jpg

11/21 - dose
11/24 - dose
11/28 - pruned then dose
12/01 - dose
12/05 - dose
12/06 - photo
bry20161206.jpg

i'm continuing to dose as of right now to ensure it's fully eradicated. it's also helped reduce the film algae on my glass. i have half a dozen anemones in this tank as well as corals, fish and snails, and nothing has died nor have i seen any ill effects of dosing this product. i'm a skeptic by nature and not just in this hobby. i'm the first to nay-say products that appear to be scams. after having been in the industry for over 20 years i've seen a lot of those 'snake oils' and i just shake my head in disgust. i've tried a lot of those products when i was first starting out and just felt ripped off with no positive results. i can honestly say vibrant has worked on my bryopsis. i've changed nothing in my maintenance routine while dosing (water changes, gfo, feeding, etc) and i haven't over-dosed.

now the next phase is to find out if vibrant killed the roots. and the only way to know is to stop dosing and see what happens. i'm going to finish this bottle first, which should last me several more weeks.

@UWC
@stevo01
@john.m.cole3
@saltyfilmfolks
@Brew12
That is fantastic! I didn't have bryopsis but I did have massive amounts of hair algae growing. It's gone but I just can't shake the cyano. I know I can go lights out for 3 days but I want to avoid that. Only because I know I am still not doing something right from a husbandry practice and I feel if I can improve the cyano will go away.

I do plan on dropping back from 2 doses of Vibrant a week to 1. Just not much left for it to do since it doesn't seem to be working on the cyano and I would like to get chaeto back into my sump. My pod population has dropped noticeably during my vibrant use.

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

10/24 - dose
10/27 - dose
bry20161031.jpg

11/03 - dose
11/07 - dose
11/10 - dose
11/20 - photo
bry20161112.jpg

11/14 - dose
11/17 - dose
bry20161120.jpg

11/21 - dose
11/24 - dose
11/28 - pruned then dose
12/01 - dose
12/05 - dose
12/06 - photo
bry20161206.jpg

@UWC
@stevo01
@john.m.cole3
@saltyfilmfolks
@Brew12

Looking very good :)

The only time you really need to worry about stripping your nutrients too quick is if you are running a true ULNS or keeping a lot of SPS. Slow and steady wins the race here :) There are plenty of full sps tanks using it dosing 2x per week with zero issues so it just really depends on where your actual nutrient load is and not necessarily what the tests are telling you ( false readings ).

Where have you seen this? I have never heard anyone say this.

Where are you getting all this info? Vibrant is not even remotely close to Mb7 or NOPOX or a combo of both.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing this for weeks now. Bryopsis almost gone, NO film on surface, yes it will lower nutrients as it is a lifeform that needs to feed. The cyano, I now have also, is caused supposedly by the sudden imbalance of nutrients from the die off, uptake of NO3 by Vibrant, etc..I started dosing in some KNO3 last night to see if balancing out nutrients will help it go away. Like you I felt testing was not a true indicator of nutrients as long as everything was going on so did not test much but my SPS started to pale slightly. I will replace GFO tonight also to see what effect that has on the cyano. Glad you beat it, terrible weed!

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's weird. Some report no to little nutrient change some do.
And of course. I'm skeptical of both reports. lol

I Like your thinking :)

It really boils down to actual nutrients in the tank. When you ask people where their No3 and Po4 sit at, almost 100% of the time, they say they both have always been 0 but these tanks have always dealt with some algae blooms, dirtier glass, etc. . Now, if you have ever seen a true ULNS where the nutrients are so low that the corals actually need supplemental feedings to survive, this is where you know and can see that nutrients have absolutely bottomed out. When you compare these two styles of tanks and water quality readings, people believe too often what their water tests are telling them instead of what their tank is actually doing/looking like.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is fantastic! I didn't have bryopsis but I did have massive amounts of hair algae growing. It's gone but I just can't shake the cyano. I know I can go lights out for 3 days but I want to avoid that. Only because I know I am still not doing something right from a husbandry practice and I feel if I can improve the cyano will go away.

I do plan on dropping back from 2 doses of Vibrant a week to 1. Just not much left for it to do since it doesn't seem to be working on the cyano and I would like to get chaeto back into my sump. My pod population has dropped noticeably during my vibrant use.
Hydrogen peroxide is devastating on cyanobacteria. It would only take a dose or two to determine if it is cyano or spirulina.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrogen peroxide is devastating on cyanobacteria. It would only take a dose or two to determine if it is cyano or spirulina.
I have used H2O2 to confirm it is cyano. And I have thought about going that route. I've also thought about adding stump remover to see if I have a PO4/NO3 unbalance. I did add GFO a few days ago and that helped but still a problem.

Still thinking through the best way to proceed.

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used H2O2 to confirm it is cyano. And I have thought about going that route. I've also thought about adding stump remover to see if I have a PO4/NO3 unbalance. I did add GFO a few days ago and that helped but still a problem.

Still thinking through the best way to proceed.

I would go the peroxide route first. Once your cyano is gone, assess where your No3 is at and decide then if nitrate additions are necessary.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back