vibrant and me vs. bryopsis

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go the peroxide route first. Once your cyano is gone, assess where your No3 is at and decide then if nitrate additions are necessary.
Thanks for the advice!
Sure would be nice if I could get my NO3 tests to actually measure something. :confused: Algae and bacteria shouldn't be allowed to consume it until after it is measured! :p

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice!
Sure would be nice if I could get my NO3 tests to actually measure something. :confused: Algae and bacteria shouldn't be allowed to consume it until after it is measured! :p

That would be awesome :)

Ryengoth

I wish I was in St John USVI
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stomas and snail variety keep it trimmed even with no3 40ppm for a couple of weeks. The cyano is a constant cleaning battle right now though. I just don't buy into these quick-fix solutions. Every one I've used has caused a nitrogen crash and restart that made it twice as bad. At least cyano will consume it and then either be eaten or die and end up in the skimmer as "toilet foam" :D. My fish LOVE to eat the cyano I scrape off the glass. They won't eat the stuff on the rocks or sand though. Once the no3 comes down the cyano fades and it's back to carbon-only.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange. I've been dosing g a second tank just to reduce the film algae and I haven't noticed anything on the surface of either tank. I guess it could be excess lipids or proteins.

Ditto here, I have been dosing Vibrant almost 4 weeks now to test its ability to reduce bryopsis. I have noticed an increase in cyano due to what I believe is the PO4 released from the existing algae.

I have not noticed any kind of film on my water surface, the only negative side effect has been a cyano bloom. I will be refilling my GFO reactor this weekend hopefully and that should take up the excess PO4.

OP
OP
cromag27

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion on cyano is that an unbalance of no3 and po4 is the cause. that's why so many people who use nopox end up with cyano. nopox is great at reducing no3 but not so much at po4. there's one guy on here who swears cyano is introduced to a tank, but I'm not convinced of it.

Ditto here, I have been dosing Vibrant almost 4 weeks now to test its ability to reduce bryopsis. I have noticed an increase in cyano due to what I believe is the PO4 released from the existing algae.

I have not noticed any kind of film on my water surface, the only negative side effect has been a cyano bloom. I will be refilling my GFO reactor this weekend hopefully and that should take up the excess PO4.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion on cyano is that an unbalance of no3 and po4 is the cause. that's why so many people who use nopox end up with cyano. nopox is great at reducing no3 but not so much at po4. there's one guy on here who swears cyano is introduced to a tank, but I'm not convinced of it.
It has to be introduced into your tank. However I am quite confident that cyano spores are always floating around in the air, so good luck keeping it from being introduced!

It may sound twisted, but I like the fact that having cyano from using Vibrant is teaching me how to balance my nutrients. It's a very visible lesson in husbandry.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It has to be introduced into your tank. However I am quite confident that cyano spores are always floating around in the air, so good luck keeping it from being introduced!

It may sound twisted, but I like the fact that having cyano from using Vibrant is teaching me how to balance my nutrients. It's a very visible lesson in husbandry.
Lol. Agree disagree and agree with both of you.
Cyano is so prevalent on the planet in bizzare places it has to be common and easily introduced.
The appearance of cyano with the vibe has got to do with the fact that we're killing stuff So little rotten pieces of food. So it may be more then just nutrients increasing or becoming out of balance. There's a physical food source in the tank.
I'd almost wager if you set up a canister with floss and stored the tank every day there would be less cyano build up once you stopped stirring for a couple days.
Hmmm

OP
OP
cromag27

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's introduced initially, from some source. but if you eradicate it, does it have to be I received again from an outside source, or does it stay 'dormant' in your tank?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's introduced initially, from some source. but if you eradicate it, does it have to be I received again from an outside source, or does it stay 'dormant' in your tank?
I don't think it matters. You probably can eradicate it but you will continuously get new strands in your system.

http://aem.asm.org/content/82/7/1978.full

Mpierce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vibrant should be in my mailbox when I get home. I am hoping to fight off my cyano with it, now I am not sure how that is going to work haha. I also grow a lot of film algae on my glass, but no other algae problems. I did a 3 days lights out last week and a 40%ish water change and that has beat down the cyano a lot but I still have a patch and some that seems to grow on the sand. After the 3 days of no lights I did notice some lighter coloration to my sps and my skimmer did nothing but idle for the past several days. Skimmer finally started holding a head last night and I would say coral coloration is coming back.

-Matt

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my GHA and dino's are gone and I am also fighting the cyano, my nitrates are .75 (redsea) and phosphates are around .06-.07. I started putting 30 drops of Phosphate rx in on Tuesday and my P04 dropped to .04, put another 15 drops in last night and this morning I am at .015. Hopefully I am keep them around there, but hoping to see the cyano gone soon or I will dose the peroxide. @Brew12 is the measurement for peroxide 1ml or 3ml per 10g of the 3% peroxide? I can't remember.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my GHA and dino's are gone and I am also fighting the cyano, my nitrates are .75 (redsea) and phosphates are around .06-.07. I started putting 30 drops of Phosphate rx in on Tuesday and my P04 dropped to .04, put another 15 drops in last night and this morning I am at .015. Hopefully I am keep them around there, but hoping to see the cyano gone soon or I will dose the peroxide. @Brew12 is the measurement for peroxide 1ml or 3ml per 10g of the 3% peroxide? I can't remember.
I couldn't remember either, but Twillard confirmed it is 1ml per 10g of the 3% for me yesterday.

Those threads got crazy trying to keep up with all the testing recommendations and changes!

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect. Thank you. Looks like I am going to Costco for some H2O2 tonight :) Are you going to keep dosing the Vibrant, while on the peroxide?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect. Thank you. Looks like I am going to Costco for some H2O2 tonight :) Are you going to keep dosing the Vibrant, while on the peroxide?
Yup, added both last night and H2O2 this morning again.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume its re introduced. I.e. Chemiclean wipes it out. But wee feed food from the ocean. And hoard frags.

Ryengoth

I wish I was in St John USVI
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Agree disagree and agree with both of you.
Cyano is so prevalent on the planet in bizzare places it has to be common and easily introduced.
The appearance of cyano with the vibe has got to do with the fact that we're killing stuff So little rotten pieces of food. So it may be more then just nutrients increasing or becoming out of balance. There's a physical food source in the tank.
I'd almost wager if you set up a canister with floss and stored the tank every day there would be less cyano build up once you stopped stirring for a couple days.
Hmmm

Yup, I stir my tank weekly now with the power heads and polish the water with the reactors off. Feeding reef-roids and my custom fine food for the coral dirties the tank up fast, plus you have the large food chunks no one ever eats even from 1 weekly feeding. I have an add-on overflow that runs straight into the sump and is unlimited on a 1" pipe. With the return on high and 3 layers of polishing, I usually go through about 12' of 3"W 100micron and 12' of 3"W dual-layer floss each time I stir the tank. It makes a huge difference in the overall water quality and I don't have to add anything except maybe some glycerin and some Stability to speed up the sump cleaning. I trapped 3 4-5" bristle worms from the display tank and they are in the sand bed in the sump where they are really needed. I go through twice the polishing material when I stir up the sump's refug bed.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back