Vibrant Killing Corals..

MrLafogata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to revive a dead thread, but this is happening to me right now. I’ve lost almost all my euphyllia and it looks like my mushrooms are next. :/

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CPR: lower your light intensity first

then large wc

the #1 move in reef CPR even above a water change is lowering lights and in some cases off altogether, then work the tank directly. That’s a legit bump this is a patterned issue and any pattern belongs in a log. They also have good ability w vibrant, it’s saved more valonia tanks than I can count. But until the % of these losses lowers we need this logged

if peroxide had a third of these losses we’d be drummed deep into a cave and they‘d plug it up

Last edited:

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to revive a dead thread, but this is happening to me right now. I’ve lost almost all my euphyllia and it looks like my mushrooms are next. :/

Did you notice any change in the nutrient levels or alk consumption?
How long and how often have you been dosing?

I found that my corals were extremely sensible to small alk variations while dosing Vibrant and burned easily. I managed to control it by bringing alk down from 8.5 to 7.5. It wasn't a low nutrient issue.

Aeb1419

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are scaring me. I had an algae problem about 1 month back and I started adding vibrant and I cut down the light schedule. I wasnt sure what did the trick but over the next 2 months the algae disappeared. I stopped using as im against adding chemicals to the tank. Just uesterday i noticed a small outbreak and added. I hope everythings fine in the end.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this helps I have never ever seen one single delayed reaction.

100% were during dosing and of those it’s a small but painful few.

vibrant has a massive justified following. But

out of 100000 successful doses logged heres’s the .2 pct logged in one place, maybe somehow the collective group can find patterns for causes.

vibrant is a permanently valid reef tool if not for its valonia control alone, I would 100% use it if I had bad uncontrolled valonia

but it would be used differently: in a tank totally rip cleaned and free of any invader. Using less than a full dose the vibrant only has to work against building mass vs established mass, its amplified this way. Nearly everyone doses it full dose to an invaded setup, we can’t rule out offending rot chemicals in some of these instances so any form of pre removal of mass before degradation internally is ideal. In my opinion this is an honest and fair way to evaluate vibrant, it’s helped many it sure has.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could the issue actually be the the Vibrant is killing an unknown pest and the result of that pest dying is actually what is harming peoples tanks???

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very possible. That’s why it’s good science to just log everyone’s pics and tank/dose details and check for patterns.

for sure it would not harm systems to lower light intensity before using vibrant, that’s a harmless hedge to check. If I was a person considering vibrant there would be no harm in lowering the overall light intensity, the first safety recoup step, right off the bat. To corals it’s a mere cloudy week on the reef, the light can be ramped back up to ideal mid day burn after treatments are done

so mass pre removal before treatment sounds ideal

and lowering light intensity during treatment sounds ideal, both are harmless as stand alone helps.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used vibrant in two of my mixed reef tanks with zero Negative effects. I guess I find it hard that bacteria would start killing things. Now I could see that if it was killing something like cyano then the result is toxins being released.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used vibrant in two of my mixed reef tanks with zero Negative effects. I guess I find it hard that bacteria would start killing things. Now I could see that if it was killing something like cyano then the result is toxins being released.

I've used it as well without issue. I believe that most adverse effects are from either other things happening in the tank or a result of the algae die-off in the tank which could cause NO3/PO4 spikes and then loss of the benefits of algae.

MrLafogata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will turn down my lights till everything seems pretty good, I honestly keep mine on pretty high so I’m sure the almost-stress isn’t helping thank you.
I didn’t notice any significant change in any tests.

Losthawk69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried vibrant just had some patches here and there but now I have the worst dino outbreak I ever seen I'm wondering how to get vibrant out of my system and go back the old fashion way of removing algae lol it's very aggressive stuff one bottle would clean a lake

nritter69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beware of Vibrant! I personally lost multiple corals from using it mostly sps but also some softies. Personally know two other reefers who lost corals as well during and….. long after use!!! From expert opinion using it for an extended length of time ends up creating some really tough super bacteria which then tend to stick within your rock work. Your frag racks may stay safe but anything in direct contact with the live rock gets a concentrated dose of the protozoans. You’ll see slow tissue necrosis long , months upon months after discontinued use.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case there are any readers of this thread who are not yet aware, Vibrant apparently is not bacteria as claimed by UWC. It is a chemical algaecide, exactly the same material as Algaefix.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this explain reported issues on this thread ?

I don’t recall what exactly was reported in this long thread, but the polymer it appears to contain is approved by the FDA to kill batcteria and mollusks, as well as algae, so it is certainly possible that it damages those organisms in a reef tank, as well as many marine organisms not evaluated in the scientific literature.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back