Vibrant replacement to treat bubble algae...what to use

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Well with the latest news of Vibrant, it is time for me to stop using it. Problem is that I have been using it to treat a bubble algae problem. It is 80% through removal. So I am wondering what I should use in replacement of the Vibrant? Curious what others are switching to...

Thanks
If it's working, I'd finish the bottle and hopefully finish off the bubble algae.

Knowing what has happened I'd not buy it again from that supplier, but the same product is available elsewhere if you don't mind algaecides in your tank and are prepared for the possible consequences.

People (including me) have used it in freshwater for decades.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For bubble algae?
Ye it killed all my caulerpa which I think is even worse than bubble algae (also killed the bubble algae ) difference is night and day , may need to increase dosage to tackle tho, I did 1.5x

Attachments

• 48BF525F-611C-4A6F-A64B-A9D7198097AF.jpeg
    48BF525F-611C-4A6F-A64B-A9D7198097AF.jpeg
    233.5 KB · Views: 136
  • DD70CE3E-4F02-414C-A301-70814C80211E.jpeg
    DD70CE3E-4F02-414C-A301-70814C80211E.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 132

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ye it killed all my caulerpa which I think is even worse than bubble algae (also killed the bubble algae ) difference is night and day , may need to increase dosage to tackle tho, I did 1.5x
Good to know. Thanks.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s good stuff , I didn’t lose anything or notice any weird side effects , phosphate increased to about .3 probly from die off / turning off skimmer for treatment
I have used Reef Flux once before but I didn't know it would tackle bubble algae at 1.5x. I used the blue life product after and had mixed results, one good one bad.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Reef Flux once before but I didn't know it would tackle bubble algae at 1.5x. I used the blue life product after and had mixed results, one good one bad.
Yes you need to increase dosage and possibly do a second treatment to fully kill off, it does take its time tho around 14 days per treatment , not sure if it matters but reef flux rx is what I used

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rather have a cpl patches of HA or some bubble algae or even some byropisis here and their over a tank covered in cyano or dinos. Lol.

Sometimes you just gotta except it.
Fwiw I think top crown snails and urchins will help but it's your tank not mine lol. To each their own.

I gotta go sell my vibrant stock. Hold my beer.
D

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Necro'ing this thread as I was about to post a similar one. My tank was overrun with bryopsis, bubble algae, and sea lettuce. I stopped using the vibrant about a month or so ago when the drama started, and last night I saw two small patches of bubble algae after I finished a water change. sigh.

My issue is I have a small 20G nano tank. If it were bigger I'd throw in a foxface or tang and be done with it. Everyone says manual removal - but that sucks. You can never get it all, and eventually I've got a plague of bubble algae suffocating out my corals. Emerald crabs have never done the job for me - they never touch the stuff (I've had two crabs). Both would much rather hide out all day and eat the fish food instead of scraping my rocks. I have a tuxedo urchin - he picks the rocks clean, but doesn't touch the bubble algae. He just rips it off and wears the bubble algae as a hat.

For those of you with small tanks - how do you do it when utilitarian fish aren't an option? The only thing I can think of is throwing in a tailspot blenny and try my luck with another crab. But the verdict on the tailspot seems to be mixed.

Or I could just use the vibrant again - but my corals really don't like that stuff. I'd prefer another solution... What are your thoughts on the blenny?

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those would be my suggestion. Just be ready to pull them out if they get too big. I have had both large emeralds and large foxes nip LPS, but only when they were fully grown. The little ones never seem to cause issues but did eradicate bubble algae from my tank.

Agree! I watched a large emerald crab pick pieces off of my table Acro. He's in the sump now> :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Necro'ing this thread as I was about to post a similar one. My tank was overrun with bryopsis, bubble algae, and sea lettuce. I stopped using the vibrant about a month or so ago when the drama started, and last night I saw two small patches of bubble algae after I finished a water change. sigh.

My issue is I have a small 20G nano tank. If it were bigger I'd throw in a foxface or tang and be done with it. Everyone says manual removal - but that sucks. You can never get it all, and eventually I've got a plague of bubble algae suffocating out my corals. Emerald crabs have never done the job for me - they never touch the stuff (I've had two crabs). Both would much rather hide out all day and eat the fish food instead of scraping my rocks. I have a tuxedo urchin - he picks the rocks clean, but doesn't touch the bubble algae. He just rips it off and wears the bubble algae as a hat.

For those of you with small tanks - how do you do it when utilitarian fish aren't an option? The only thing I can think of is throwing in a tailspot blenny and try my luck with another crab. But the verdict on the tailspot seems to be mixed.

Or I could just use the vibrant again - but my corals really don't like that stuff. I'd prefer another solution... What are your thoughts on the blenny?
You can go over all the rocks in a 20g with a stiff tooth brush in maybe 3-4 sittings if about an hour each.

Grimmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used reeflux as I had a caulpera outbreak that made it from my sump to my DT it worked and I didnt have any ill effects. Mind you I was patient ran the recommended does and left the skimmer running without the cup. I still have a little crop up now and then on the back of a snail. I pluck him out and clean it off.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brightwell Razor eradicated my bubble algae, although it did tick off most of my lps, but I know most do not experience any coral troubles with this product.
I have definitely experienced trouble with razor! With under dosing, some corals did not react good with it, but some were unphased, so like said before not every product works for everyone, but when you see an issue with what your currently doing take the controls In your hand a course correct, hit that moving target. (Lps and sps were effected)

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rather than vibrant, give algaefix a try. It's suppose to be the same thing, but much cheaper AND they didn't mislead people about what it was. Of course, finish off any vibrant you have first.

I generally like having algae as I look at it as a natural water filter that is helping keep my water clean and good. But I also like to control the type of algae that grows. Which means I'm treating for bryopsis and bubble algae.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back