Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4263.JPG
IMG_4264.JPG
Great work getting videos through the scope. I only wish the subject was more enjoyable (and not dinos).
Thank you. I did see some cool stuff though!

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you have been asked this before, but I'm double checking. Do you have a UV Sterilizer on your tank? I had a diatom problem so I bought a big one -- the diatoms were completely gone in two days.
No, I have not purchased one. It is just so expensive for a decent one.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed many of post but needed to check in.
The photo and video with the microscope was very cool but what a nasty thing to deal with.

I have had nasty nurses but we all have bad days and you will find nasty people everywhere. I also had some nurses that turned out being outstanding.
Meeting nurses is something I look forward to during a not so good time
I would be honored to have you as my nurse

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed many of post but needed to check in.
The photo and video with the microscope was very cool but what a nasty thing to deal with.

I have had nasty nurses but we all have bad days and you will find nasty people everywhere. I also had some nurses that turned out being outstanding.
Meeting nurses is something I look forward to during a not so good time
I would be honored to have you as my nurse
That is quite the compliment thank you.

I have been the victim of nasty nurses. I loath mean nurses and have often gotten into it with them.
When I was a patient in bad circumstances I had a couple bad nurses and I felt so powerless.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The movie is very funny and very sad. Kesey spent time at Stanford during which he earned money doing psychology experiments. Here is some more nerdy info if interested:

“Stanford may be a renowned research institution today but 60 years ago it was also known for some slightly less regimented experimentation. It was in Palo Alto where Kesey explored the conscious altering effects of LSD. As a volunteer for experiments conducted at the Menlo Park Veterans Hospital, he was given psychoactive drugs including LSD, and he came to believe that the substance had great positive potential and could be used as a path to individual freedom. Not wanting to monopolize the potential for self-sovereignty, Kesey “liberated” some LSD from the hospital to share it with friends, sometimes incorporating it into his famous chili. Kesey’s experiences at the hospital also became the inspiration for his most widely read novel, One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest.”
https://www.stanforddaily.com/2016/10/14/remembering-stanfords-bohemian-quarter/

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol- I paid for Katie’s engagement and wedding rings, and a post-proposal 4 day live aboard dive trip to the Channel Islands using money I got doing clinical trials for a burn unit at Stanford, while we both worked there.
Cool. Did you have to get intentionally burned?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Did you have to get intentionally burned?

You ready for this?...

I got hit in each outer thigh with a 1200w 2” square thermocouple plate to simulate a second degree burn.

Then they placed 3 intradermal catheters on each side, hooked up to a continuous peristaltic pump collecting 1ml fractions for 6 hours at a rate of 1 sample/10 minutes. They were tested for various cytokines and chemokines in an attempt to decipher the immune cascade that happens in response to burn.

On the right side, they hit me with 1 minute of 400-420nm UV light at a dose that mimicked 30 minutes of noon sun at the tropics, every hour. On the left, a daylight full spectrum with a 420nm bandpass filter was used.

Then I got to play my PlayStation portable for 6 hours while getting paid at my job, and $1500 for the study.

If I wear shorts, you can still see the burns if I catch the sun and get a bit red.

Study two was the same setup, minus the additional sunburns. Instead- they placed the thermocouple on the burn, ramped up the temp and timed how long I took to push a stop button. 90% of the reviews timed out because I have lame nerves and couldn’t actually feel it heating up. The other ten percent I’m sure were just coincidental twitches. 4 hours, $900. I actually broke the guys stats as I was such an outlier, but he couldn’t drop me unless he could prove my results were abnormal. So,...

#3 was a pain sensitivity test profile using the same setup as 2, but I had to hit stop when I started to feel ‘something’. End result is that I apparently have only 70-80% nerve density of a ‘normo’ , and specifically my burn pain nociceptors are 60% normal. Paid $500. Results explain all my amateur chef- related burns on my arms and hands.

#4 was a repeat of #1, then a follow up at day +4 to look at cytokines relief. Two 6 hour sessions, $2400.

I spent $1200 on my Jeep and the rest went to the rings and proposal trip.

EASY EASY MONEY!!

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You ready for this?...

I got hit in each outer thigh with a 1200w 2” square thermocouple plate to simulate a second degree burn.

Then they placed 3 intradermal catheters on each side, hooked up to a continuous peristaltic pump collecting 1ml fractions for 6 hours at a rate of 1 sample/10 minutes. They were tested for various cytokines and chemokines in an attempt to decipher the immune cascade that happens in response to burn.

On the right side, they hit me with 1 minute of 400-420nm UV light at a dose that mimicked 30 minutes of noon sun at the tropics, every hour. On the left, a daylight full spectrum with a 420nm bandpass filter was used.

Then I got to play my PlayStation portable for 6 hours while getting paid at my job, and $1500 for the study.

If I wear shorts, you can still see the burns if I catch the sun and get a bit red.

Study two was the same setup, minus the additional sunburns. Instead- they placed the thermocouple on the burn, ramped up the temp and timed how long I took to push a stop button. 90% of the reviews timed out because I have lame nerves and couldn’t actually feel it heating up. The other ten percent I’m sure were just coincidental twitches. 4 hours, $900. I actually broke the guys stats as I was such an outlier, but he couldn’t drop me unless he could prove my results were abnormal. So,...

#3 was a pain sensitivity test profile using the same setup as 2, but I had to hit stop when I started to feel ‘something’. End result is that I apparently have only 70-80% nerve density of a ‘normo’ , and specifically my burn pain nociceptors are 60% normal. Paid $500. Results explain all my amateur chef- related burns on my arms and hands.

#4 was a repeat of #1, then a follow up at day +4 to look at cytokines relief. Two 6 hour sessions, $2400.

EASY EASY MONEY!!
That was great! Thank you for sharing. Not a story you hear every day.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You ready for this?...

EASY EASY MONEY!!
Ouch!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back