OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might remember that a week or so ago I changed my lighting schedule to that ai-signature-saxby light schedule. The zoanthids reacted poorly. stretching out. So i put the schedule back to what I had before. now that Acan is not happy. probably need to ease back to that more intense schedule. duh.

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)One smart lady.
you might remember that a week or so ago I changed my lighting schedule to that ai-signature-saxby light schedule. The zoanthids reacted poorly. stretching out. So i put the schedule back to what I had before. now that Acan is not happy. probably need to ease back to that more intense schedule. duh.
LOL. can’t please everyone, right?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except Harley's suck Paul. Seriously suck! :)

OMG. Harleys are an "American " bike and were built for the military. That's all that matters to me. Anything else is a non bike and I would not take a foreign bike, especially one of those Japanese egg beaters for free. Less than free. If they were the only things around, I would walk, no crawl on my knees rather than be on a foreign bike. ;Smuggrin

But that's just me as I am a really True American.

I just found out my Jeep was built in Italy, (as my Grand Parents were). If I knew that, I would not have bought it. Even though I loved my Grand Parents. :)

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG. Harleys are an "American " bike and were built for the military. That's all that matters to me. Anything else is a non bike and I would not take a foreign bike, especially one of those Japanese egg beaters for free. Less than free. If they were the only things around, I would walk, no crawl on my knees rather than be on a foreign bike. ;Smuggrin

I just found out my Jeep was built in Italy, (as my Grand Parents were). If I knew that, I would not have bought it. Even though I loved my Grand Parents. :)
Good morning Pau! :)

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Except now they are going to be built overseas to sidestep the trade wars!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don’t tell him that! ;Woot

It troubles me greatly to say this but there is no such thing as an American made vehicle, bike or car, anymore. It's also been quite a while since there was a true American made vehicle. Many of the parts on a Harley are made elsewhere and some of them in China. On a Harley, the brakes and clutch are imported from Italy, the engine pistons are made in Austria, the bike suspension comes from Japan, and other electronic components originate in Mexico and China.

It is also surprising that most of the Top 10 "American made" cars are not even American. Below is a list of the most American made cars and it may surprise you.

So when someone says, "Hey man, buy American!" And you might drive a Honda, a good reply would be, "Hondas are more American than the American cars."
Screenshot_20190815-095544_Chrome.jpg

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been blessed by many experts that no longer participate in the industry. Their knowledge and instruction gave me the tools I needed to help my customers cut their losses and provide better care for their livestock. John and Patty Burleson who employed a young man named Julian Sprung. Merrill Cohen owner of Aquarium Systems, Dr. Marty Becker, DVM, contributor to Animal Planet, Phil Shane past owner of Quality Marine, John Epps at Aquanetics Systems, Dr. Tom Baldwin, DVM, Washington State University Department of Veterinary Medicine, Past curator of Fishes at San Diego Sea World, forget his name but he was an expert on Sharks and Rays and ways to provide long term success in display tanks. I am also reminded of Albert Theil and the man who started it all for me George Smit.

What a magical time in reefing.. I know many of those names, some I could call friends. Met Julian when we where just kids at John’s shop, after a long absence from the hobby I was fortunate enough to have a few conversations with Albert before he passed.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a magical time in reefing.. I know many of those names, some I could call friends. Met Julian when we where just kids at John’s shop, after a long absence from the hobby I was fortunate enough to have a few conversations with Albert before he passed.
Although only a few of these folks names are known to me, that is pretty cool that you guys got to meet or work with these well versed folks.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you all probably know...I am ascart of the fox face fishes. But my kids really want one in our DT. So one is in the QT. I need some advise from you folks that are more familiar with them. Day 4 in the QT. The obnoxious QT with fake purple and pink plants and a good piece of LR. And UV light. No meds, ambient room light but it is a bright room. I think the LR has gotten a hair algae trim from the fox face.
The fox is mostly with his camo colors, rarely have I seen him eat. I am feeding LRS.
I do not see other signs of illness. What do you all think?
@Brew12 do you recommend shining a light from behind the ammonia badge to read it? It is between the yellow and green but with my phone light it is yellow.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you all probably know...I am ascart of the fox face fishes. But my kids really want one in our DT. So one is in the QT. I need some advise from you folks that are more familiar with them. Day 4 in the QT. The obnoxious QT with fake purple and pink plants and a good piece of LR. And UV light. No meds, ambient room light but it is a bright room. I think the LR has gotten a hair algae trim from the fox face.
The fox is mostly with his camo colors, rarely have I seen him eat. I am feeding LRS.
I do not see other signs of illness. What do you all think?
@Brew12 do you recommend shining a light from behind the ammonia badge to read it? It is between the yellow and green but with my phone light it is yellow.
Nothing to be scared of! Just don't handle him with a net and know where he is in your tank before you stick your hand in. He isn't going to try stick you, you just have to make sure you don't accidentally jam your hand into his spines.

And yes, unless your tank is brightly lit you should shine a light on the back of the badge to read it.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to be scared of! Just don't handle him with a net and know where he is in your tank before you stick your hand in. He isn't going to try stick you, you just have to make sure you don't accidentally jam your hand into his spines.

And yes, unless your tank is brightly lit you should shine a light on the back of the badge to read it.
Thank you!
Guess what? Just today he started coming out and begging! Yeah!
IMG_4455.JPG
IMG_4456.JPG
IMG_4458.PNG

U

User1

View Badges
Mine eats Mysis and Brine shrimp, purple, green, and red algae, and pellet food. Also scrapes the rocks but nothing like my Scopus and Lavender tangs. Healthy body, full, firm. Camo most of the day but overall stays closer to the rocks than previous ones I've had.

I know he or she is in there but it doesn't stop me from reaching in. Usually I'm using shoulder length gloves but when I'm trimming a rock full of Xenia the clamps I use do not fit so I use latex gloves instead. Fella has never bothered me but then again maybe I've not caught it on a bad day. Fast grower so far. I don't know its age and it would be rude of me to ask but when I picked it up it was about 2 1/2 in size and somewhat thin. Now it is about 4". Probably grew 1 1/2 in about a year.

Good to have although I'm not sure it is too much of a algae control fish in my case.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is all over the tank! Woot! Woot!

Now I just need to decide if I eventually want to move him to the down stairs QT.
I am scouring the internet for scholarly research projects or papers regarding parasite treatment. I want to move away from copper. How is it that we can not find a med that does kill the trophont?

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is all over the tank! Woot! Woot!

Now I just need to decide if I eventually want to move him to the down stairs QT.
I am scouring the internet for scholarly research projects or papers regarding parasite treatment. I want to move away from copper. How is it that we can not find a med that does kills the trophont?
The problem is the method of delivery since the trophont isn't exposed to either the water or the digestive track of the fish. Any medications that can touch the trophont must be absorbed through the flesh of the fish without killing the fish.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back